Shoes - SPD Compatable

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
I bought some MTB Nike shoes off ebay, without the real intension to go clipless but now I am giving it some real thought.

The shoes have a plate on the bottom which is square with four holes in it in each corner. I assume that these are SPD compatable. The plate however moves up and down an inch or so in the sole and is not fixed, is this right? If i attach some SPD Cleats will these not move around also?

If any one has exeprince of this type of fitting any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    iirc when you attach the cleat it pulls everything tight, and the shoe sole is effectively sandwiched between the plate and cleat preventing any movement, if that makes sense. When you loosen the screws attaching the cleats the plate will move allowing you to fine tune the cleat position.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Exactly as above. The two pairs of holes and the movement allow you to tweak the cleat position to suit your riding and feet.

Once tightened up all you need is a weekly (or even monthly) check for tightness of the bolt
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    Exactly as above. The two pairs of holes and the movement allow you to tweak the cleat position to suit your riding and feet.

Once tightened up all you need is a weekly (or even monthly) check for tightness of the bolt

I've lost a bolt once when cycling, dangerous stuff when unclipping! :lol: