Gorrick R2

maurice
maurice Posts: 151
edited February 2009 in XC and Enduro
So how did everyone do?

I got 51st in the Open, had a good ding-dong race with one guy over all 3 laps which I eventually won, quite enjoyed it!

Comments

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Struggled but I was riding with a cold.

Enjoyed it though, especially the corkscrew. Pulled out after 3 laps as I was getting slower and slower..... third lap was around 39mins!
    Paul
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    14th in fun. Which was exactly what it said on the tin!

Much better than veteran which I raced before. Didn't have the fronth of the grand vets field steaming through!

Is there a prize for even pacing - only 2 secs slower on lap 2!!

Mostly because I didn't do a practice lap I expect rather than fitness :oops:
  • pjm-84
    Paying the price at the moment....... cough cough...

Still working from home has it pluses :wink:
    Paul
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Damm you Tony, one place in front of me (Darren). I did a quicker first lap then the world ended so you over took me at some point on the second one heh. I hope for the sake of humanity you weren't the tall bloke with toe clips (oh dear heh) who over took me as we briefly came out onto that big hill that was the start last spring but then it turn off left into single track again half way up, bit of downhill then over that mound where they had put a cover down? :D

I tried a different tactic this time of going with the leaders at the start, this lasted for about 1.5 miles when I thought I should probably get my heart rate back under 200 lol, averaged at 193 in the end!
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    pjm-84 wrote:
    Struggled but I was riding with a cold.

Enjoyed it though, especially the corkscrew. Pulled out after 3 laps as I was getting slower and slower..... third lap was around 39mins!

I woke up with a sore throat and feeling a bit iffy on the Sunday, but felt ok during the race.

Paying for it big style today too, nasty head cold :(
  • pjm-84
    Yep

Try First Defence - it didn't work for me as I picked up my niggly sore throat on Tuesday last week but a guy starting having the same symptoms as me on Friday, used it and was fine today. I went to work, coughed my way through the morning before coming home.
    Paul
  • TonyWard
    breezer wrote:
    Damm you Tony, one place in front of me (Darren). I did a quicker first lap then the world ended so you over took me at some point on the second one heh. I hope for the sake of humanity you weren't the tall bloke with toe clips (oh dear heh) who over took me as we briefly came out onto that big hill that was the start last spring but then it turn off left into single track again half way up, bit of downhill then over that mound where they had put a cover down? :D

I tried a different tactic this time of going with the leaders at the start, this lasted for about 1.5 miles when I thought I should probably get my heart rate back under 200 lol, averaged at 193 in the end!

I had the opposite approach this time after being well and truly beaten up in vets at Yateley and the Autumn classic. Didn't want to feel like I was in people's away again so went off relatively conservatively and picked my way through the field. 2nd lap only 2 seconds slower than the first.

By the way, I am a tall bloke and did overtake people on the climbs both laps but was riding with clip-ins not toe clips! Every time I have done one of these has been the same - on the firetrack I move on people around me then it gets all tight and twisty again! Presumably, I was the last guy who overtook you as you finished next after me. I had black clothes, green helmet (!) and was riding a black and red Scott. Not sure when my next one will be as have a few weekend commitments but please say hello next time you see me at one.
  • TonyWard
    By the way - impressed with the heart rate. I find I fall off all the time when I try that hard!
  • breezer
    I was suffering (even more) by the end so not sure if I saw you or not heh and they seem to have missed you on the photos by number but go through all the unnumbered ones and you may find some shots of yourself.

I am the opposite way round, go backwards on the hills and fireroad, go mad on the singletrack :D

Im told thats quite a high heart rate for a 32yr old, ive seen 212 before, I have the heart of a shrew according to my friend

This was me
    Rd2b.jpg
  • TonyWard
    Remember you now. I "think" that might be me in the background!
  • TonyWard
    By the way - they have some of the start at the end. Check out D3J_4752 !!

I'm at D3J_4886
  • breezer
    Yes ta, awful photo which makes my friends claim I have ginger facial hair :shock:

I went through them all the other night :)
  • breezer
    Hmm dont remember you. The bloke parked behind me in the car park came over and chatted before the race as he also had a 5 Spot although he was racing on a hardtail, a single speed as it turned out..... much to my annoyance he went past me on the 1st lap saying hi as he did, I said hello back as a natural reaction as I wasnt sure who it was then realised followed by muttering something else :wink:
  • TonyWard
    With your heart rate where it was I imagine the last part of the race was a bit of a blur!
  • breezer
    I remember the last bit well on that nice whoopy downhill (far more fun last year when dry!) then that big bombhole with a small jump out of the top, down to the left then the last up, there were loads of spectators so I was forced to cain it and ride far quicker up the hill than I did on the 1st lap!
  • i finished 4th in the fun race, was going to be 3rd then fell off on the last corner!
  • breezer
    3rd grr :P

Which last corner? the left hander after doing that bombhole before going up the last hill to the finishing straight? I nearly binned it there on my practise lap as I came out of the bombhole way to quick and the bike said NO as I tried to make the left heh
  • yeh that exact corner, i came out of the bombhole turned left a bit to fast and ended up in another hole on my back lol, a pretty tough race though i thought it was an excellent track. looking forward to the next one, what crowthorne like?
  • breezer
    lol!

Its a bit flat but some fun sections, depends on weather really, rounds 4 and 5 were a slog last spring simply because the grounds that soft peaty stuff which was there in places at this round 2. They do change the course though, ie this one started on a mad uphill last year, we briefly turned onto it in this race but then went left back into the singletrack before that downhill and over a mat they had placed down.

Im going to do it but on my hard tail as a laugh (death wish). I think it will go horribly wrong as I didnt have the energy to stand up on lap 2 of this one and let the rear end of my Turner do its job but I wont have that. Will be an interesting comparison anyway and all hopes I had of better results than last year have gone down the pan with not enough winter riding heh
  • haha ok sounds good, yeh i know the kind of ground you mean, should be interesting. did you see the guy who won the fun race he came flying past me on the 2nd lap and won by about 3 mins. ye the 2nd was a slow one spent a bit too much energy on the 1st. haha you'll fly around on a HT, might break yourself in two in the process.
  • breezer
    ah I did wonder about him as there was that notice in Gorricks report about there reports of people cutting the track etc and he was only 4th or 5th after lap 1 then went like 4 minutes quicker so I wondered if he was one of them but sounds like he just went too slow on the first lap, should be in a difference class if hes that much quicker heh!

Crashing in front of all the spectators is great btw :p I crashed on that course last year, was a bit near the start although this time it was near the end, dodgy roots on a corner. Lots of swearing and lost places later and I ended up getting my best result, donno what I ate the night before! I had high hopes for this one but it didnt happen. Im only quick on the downhills and struggle the rest of the time so when its not bone dry, its lots worse for me.
  • breezer
    2008 Autumn Classic at Crowthorne

GorrickAutumn.jpg
  • yeh i saw that, but i think he was just in need of winning something so decided to enter our race lol.
    haha yeh when i came off there was a loud ooooooo from everyone, gives you a massive adrenaline rush to keep going though.
    your HT should help you get up them hill, i usually just pick a gear i can spin fast and steady in and hope for the best, good luck!
  • breezer
    nah its fitness for me or lack of heh, my Turner is 4 lbs lighter than the hard tail! I will swap the wheels over so at least its a bit lighter than normal. It might be better on the smooth climbs but the turner flies up bumpy/rooty ones as you get so much more traction.

I used to push big gears but now try and spin them which seems to work better
  • TonyWard
    breezer wrote:
    sounds like he just went too slow on the first lap, should be in a difference class if hes that much quicker heh!

I thought the first 13 finishers in Fun should really have been competing in a different class :lol:
  • breezer
    I fully agree! :lol:
  • ditto, but i wouldnt do very well in the open looking at the times! but maybe next year!