My rear wheel keeps puncturing - why??

HBen
HBen Posts: 5
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Apologies for the noob question - but I'm at a loss and could do with a bit of advice.

I've just brought my old (10 years) road bike out of store and got it road worthy again. The problem is my rear tire keeps puncturing and I can't work out why.

It's not glass or other debris going through the tire. It's more like a small hole in the inner tube, which seems to happen after about 10 miles of riding. This has happened 4 times in 10 days

I've replaced tires and inner tubes - so I wondered if there may be a problem with the wheels, which causes this to happen? I just can't go on with punctures happening ever 10 miles! It's extremely annoying.

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts about why this could be happening? I'd rather not get rid of the bike completely but at the moment I can't use it with confidence

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Most likely rim tape is worn through. What happens is that the tube then rubs on the spoke ends inside the rim or on the spoke holes.
    Check to see if the puncture holes are on the inside of the tube rather than the outer part facing the tyre.
    Check the valve hole area on the rim isn't sharp.
    If the rim tape is old get some new stuff anyway as it's well worth it.
  • Perhaps the rim tape is worn, allowing the inflated tube to be snagged by a spoke?
    Perhaps you are getting "snake bite" punctures due to tyre under-inflation, causing flats after riding over a pothole or over a kerb?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Does the puncture appear to be in the same place all the time,do you still have the old inner tubes to check the position of the hole. If the puncture is in the same place then it will be one of the spokes which is protruding slightly too far through the eyelet of the rim which is the problem. This is easily sorted out by loosening the spoke in question a couple of turns and everything should be fine. Do you have rim tape on the rims, if not then fitting rim tape will also be a good investment, and help prevent punctures.
    Also running the tyres at the correct pressures will help. The correct pressure should be located somewhere on the tyre and on the tube. You reduce the risk of punctures and wear on the tyres by inflating to the correct pressure. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Hi,

Next time you get a puncture carefully take out the inner tube, noting where it happened in relation to the tyre and wheel. Always fitting the tyre with the brand name in the same relation to the valve helps. Run your thumb around the tyre where the puncture happened looking for sharp objects imbedded in the tyre and any cuts that are letting things through.

There should also be a rubber band (rim tape) that covers the spokes. Is it there or has it perished? Also check you haven't got a loose spoke that is pushing through the rim tape and puncturing the inner tube.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Edit: Double post and the posters above beat me to it!
  • HBen
    Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't changed the rim tape, and whether this is causing the problem or not I clearly ought to do it.

I will also make sure I get the tire pressure up next time I go our riding. I assume you're more prone to snakebite punctures on the back wheel as your weight is more concentrated in this area, is that right?
  • HBen
    I've done a comparison of the old inner tubes and the holes are all in a similar area (about a 10cm stretch of tube).

So I will check the spokes and rims in that area to see if there is a problem. I guess that's what comes with trying to ride such an old bike.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Nothing wrong with riding an old bike, in fact it's pretty fashionable these days.
    If the rim tape is old then yes, do replace it. If it's not causing punctures now then it might well do in the future. Holes in rim tape can be hard to see sometimes - when the tube is pumped up inside the tyre it forces it's way through the thin cracks which can cause the punctures, or the pressure on the spoke heads.
    Good luck sorting it and enjoy the riding.
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Worth also checking the inside edges of the rim very carefully. If it's an old bike it's possible metal tyre levers might have been used at some point leaving a bur on the inside of the rim.
    I got an old wheel out the other day and the rim tape was totally infexible and had sharp edges everywhere. Would slice a tube up no problem.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg