Help !! I have brake issues!!!!

mountain Blaster
mountain Blaster Posts: 14
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Please can anyone one help me .....I thought i knew what i was doing when i stripped down my rear brake caliper assembly following a winter of salty roads. I thought i had taken really careful note of where everything went !!! Now I have a pad that sticks I seem to have lost all tension and have now gone BOLD with pulling my hair out .....!!!!! HELP PLEASE . :oops:
Livin The Dream.........Livin To Ride ........Lovin The Hills

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gone Bold right.

so what are the brakes?

have you got the manual and service infos...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have no manuals .....bought the bike second hand prior to the snow !! They are on a mongoose mgx ....I have very little knowledge as I am really new to althis MTB stuff....I have seen the light and drifted away from road bikes....
    They look like a cast caliper with a tension adjuster on one side ....they have a spring to which has three holes to allow for adjustment ....I just cant get it right ....I have spent 6hrs on it today..!!! EBAY here we come lol
  • nicklouse
    pictures please.

and do you mean caliper as in road brakes (rim brakes) or caliper as in a disc brake?

Pics of the brake will be the best bet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sorry rims ..........not disc!!!
    Wont be able to pics till daylight
  • nicklouse
    OK so V brakes?

have a read of the info on parktools there is a lot of good info there and pictures.

but V brakes like return trnsion and make sure the whheel is full seated in the drop outs.
  • what would happen if not properly seated? would that affect the tension ?? :?
  • nicklouse
    if it is not properly seated the rim will be off center causing no end of problems.
  • Thanks for the pointer to Park Tools ...have found the right bit ..they make it sound so easy lol......i will have another go tomorrow. Thanks for your help.. :)