Stiffest Stem and Bars

h14turbo
h14turbo Posts: 329
edited February 2009 in Road buying advice
I am an 80+ kg rider, and I also row. So I am pretty heavy and resonable strong. The current stem and bars that I have on my bike and bontrager and seem to flex alot. I was wondering what is the stiffest stem and bars that I can get for a reasonable price?

Comments

• The easton oversive bars are very stiff, not too expensive either. If you could give some dimensions that'd help. The hozfella (sp) bar and stem combo is pretty stiff too, and only about £40 from merlin IIRC
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pro vibe

33771.jpg
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33771

The Pro stems rate pretty well too, if you wanted to match your bars and stem.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • h14turbo
    h14turbo Posts: 329
    The Easton stuff looks good. What about the Shimano Pro track stem. The massive carbon one. Could that be used on a road bike?
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    zip slc2 bars with a sl145 stem, i am 105kgs 6, 2 and cant shift them,
    will cost you though!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    edited February 2009
    The Easton stuff looks good. What about the Shimano Pro track stem. The massive carbon one. Could that be used on a road bike?

Cavendish is using a Pro track stem on his road bike I think - it's carbon wrapped aluminium.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I'm around the 16st mark and again an ex rower.

Stick with 4 bolt stems and use a torque wrench. I use Bonty and Deda. I also have Thompson. I wouldn't recommend carbon bars or stem ( Having broken 4 carbon frames , 1 pair of carbon forks , 1 carbon handlebar and a Tune 2 bolt stem I have a little insight into this area)

I've broken an Easton frame tubing (yep 5 frames - 3years) and one of my riding buddies has broken an Easton stem.
    Paul
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I'm 88kg and have been using ITM millenium 4ever bars and stem for past 2 years.Nice and light, a little flex which is good imo (helps soften the ride) and pretty cheap.
    I've just changed to Ritchey WCS alloy bars and stem, a bit lighter same amount of flex but look very nice.Both bars and stem cost me less than £100
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    The aluminium Eastons are supposed to be one of the stiffest, even if someone has heard of one breaking.

Syntace F139 might be a good bet. I've got on well with Thomson as well. The Hope stems are pretty stiff as well I believe.