pop lock problems

chilievans
chilievans Posts: 90
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, recently the pop lock on my reba's started to stick when unlocking the fork. It's now got to the point where it wont unlock unless i twist the dial on the top of the fork.
Has anyone got any ideas how to solve my problem as its getting on my nerves?
thanks
can`t stop addicted to the shindig......

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean the cable?

disconnect it from the fork. doers the dial move ok?

does the cable move easily?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I had something similar to that recently, I dropped a little lube down the inside of the cable from the handlebar end and it seems to have sorted it out.
  • i've tried oiling it and the dial moves but it seems tight
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oiling what?

have you done as i suggested?

so the cable is fine but when disconnected from the knob the knob does not turn smoothly?

time for a service and ask then about the changing length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • not a bad idea that
    thanks butt
  • when this happens, change the cable and the outers, it costs £2 (the poplock uses gear cables) and you just thread it into the system, really easy to do and it costs next to nothing.
  • i had this problem recently.

its a real bugger to fix, i fitted a new cable and it made bugger all difference.

the only thing that has really helped is shortening the housing and cable. not sticking as bad now but still not returing fully.
  • Just got my new reba and it has this problem, so it is not an issue of dirty cables. Dial moves freely without the cable. I think the standard return spring that RS provide is not man enough to overcome the friction inside the cable housing + the poplock lever. I may look into getting a stiffer spring (if it will fit).
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I've had this problem before, I found plenty of crap had found its way under the blue dial; just give everything a good clean and see if that helps. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I just cleaned mine and lubed the cable and that did the trick. I found they do go a bit stiff if you don't use them much, which I must admit I don't.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Got this problem with two pairs of nearly new forks, seems to be the return spring is the problem, changed cables twice for new ones, well lubed etc. still the same problem, the spring doesn`t seem up to the job. Unscrewed the pop-lock cartridge from the fork, all seems OK, positive return on the spindle when turned with a spanner, but still stiff / slow to return when connected to the cable again !
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Remove the spool and clean it and under it if there is mud/grit/crud under it it wont work well.

disconnect the cable. remove the cable stop from the crown using a 2mm allen key (IIRC)
    remove the floodgate adjuster small allen key again. remove the circlip, then remove the blue "spool" lock out adjuster.

carefully clean then re assemble.

My rebas sometimes needed a push down on the bars to unlock them as there was stuff under the spool stopping it turning freely.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er