Front Brake Problem

sonnyb
sonnyb Posts: 35
edited February 2009 in The workshop
I have a Boardman Urban Pro with Avid hydraulic brakes. Last week I had a squeaking wheel which I cured by applying some oil around the axle/spindle. However since that time the front brake has lost all its effectiveness. It has lost the excellent braking power it had and I cannot think why. The oil did not touch the disc and I cleaned it anyway. Today I took it back to Halfords and they adjusted the brake and cleaned off the disc again but it is the same. It just feels weak and spongy and has simply lost its stopping power. I am baffled. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Sounds like the calipers, anyway... Not that I'm an expert but could the oil have gotten into the moving parts? That would do it, I'd reckon.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like contaminated pads.

Oil should never go near wheels.it will work its way up the disc and thats it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sonnyb
    Thanks, any solutions?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean the rotor with meths or Isopropyl alcohol and fit new pads. and clean any remains of any contaminant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Clean the pads and disc's,then use sandpaper-(is that the proper name for it in UKland? It's the abrasive surfaced paper used to smooth surfaces with.) and sand the pad surface until all the contaminated material is removed. They should work well after that.
  • sonnyb
    Thanks all so far. I will try your suggestions.