How do you change brake blocks

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2009 in The workshop
Seriously, my current ones have worn away, how do I go about changing them on my Giant SCR3?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• It's really easy - well - it must be because I've done it!!

Open the brake QR, if you have one, (you might like to take the wheel off, I did) take one off, have a look at the fastening, then try to get some with the same fastening! I got ones where you can change the pads. They're good, they are.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    It's really easy - well - it must be because I've done it!!

Open the brake QR, if you have one, (you might like to take the wheel off, I did) take one off, have a look at the fastening, then try to get some with the same fastening! I got ones where you can change the pads. They're good, they are.

I've got those too, campag ones natch. bit elbow grease and it's in.

Seriously DDD you never changed your brakes before?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • IIRc with Shimano, isn't there a small screw in the back of the shoe that houses the pad? Back that out and the pad comes free.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • My brakes on the bowery maintain that they are shimano, but had blocks on them when I got it, I figures shoes and pads would be both cheaper and easier!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Seriously, my current ones have worn away, how do I go about changing them on my Giant SCR3?

There should be a screw you can undo with an allen key. Pull it out and insert the new pad. If you haven't changed them before, you may need to push a little harder with your thumbs, in which case you'll need to uncrew the blocks from the calipers themselves first. (I'm assuming you have this system. Can you post a picture?)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks guys, I have a screw I can undo with an allen key. Now I need to buy the right allen key as none of mine actually fit.

@CleverPun. Nope I've never changed brake pads before and this made me wonder what the hell I was riding in the past. All of my previous bikes (except the Giant M2) have arguably lasted longer and given less hassle while being treated far worse (kept outdoors in a Garden, under a tree all winter) than I treat the bikes I have now. Guess they don't build'em like they used to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thanks guys, I have a screw I can undo with an allen key. Now I need to buy the right allen key as none of mine actually fit.

@CleverPun. Nope I've never changed brake pads before and this made me wonder what the hell I was riding in the past. All of my previous bikes (except the Giant M2) have arguably lasted longer and given less hassle while being treated far worse (kept outdoors in a Garden, under a tree all winter) than I treat the bikes I have now. Guess they don't build'em like they used to.

Either that or you are going faster and further than ever before.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Either that or you are going faster and further than ever before.

and through the winter, road grit kills brake blocks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DDD there is a bicycle tutor website (link at home :roll: 0 which has a video to show you depending upon the type of brake you have. You'll find, if like me you tightnened the cables when the brakes started getting slack - instead of checking the blocks :shock: that you may need to add some slack in the cable as replacing the blocks is like taking out a mcawful's cheeseburger and replacing it with a big mac.

Good luck. I changed my own so anyone can. In fact, i'll have to do my front ones tonight.

- Clever Pun - thanks. That may explain why mine appear to have completely evaporated over the last couple of months.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    If you've got a homebase or similar near by, they have 'complete' sets of allen keys for a fiver or something. Too heavy to take out and about, but dead useful in the house. 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Buy new one's and bring the with you on Sat/Sun and I'll show you.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cheers mate!
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cheers mate!

np BUT why not really treat yourself and buy some koolstop pad instead of the standard jobs, they cost a packet but damn do they stop :shock:

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DDD - How on earth are you only just replacing the pads? I don't think I've had my bike much longer then yours and I'm on my forth set - including the originals. Admittedly the last one where replaced because I got the new wheels but the front set was still pretty worn down.

+1 for the Koolstop pads tho, wiggle do them or you can get the dual compound ones from GB Cycles, just ask at the counter as their out in the workshop! Something I found out after "wasting" 10 minutes wondering around looking for them and get distracted by all the lovely bikes and other bits!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Clean your rims regularly, and after every ride in cr@ppy weather. It'll prolong the life of both the rims and the brake blocks.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Clean your rims regularly, and after every ride in cr@ppy weather. It'll prolong the life of both the rims and the brake blocks.

+1 I did mine for the first time in far to long yesterday and found that the new brake block I'd had to fit on the rear wasn't quite hitting the rim right..........I've rubbed off half the "Mavic Aksium" graphics on one side :shock:

I'm hoping to replace the rear brake as I just can't get the block to line up right.........it was all running so nice until I had to replace that block during the wheel replacement, hoo hum more upgrades! Still it will get me closer to my Wiggle personal discount :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    One thing to mention quickly - when cleaning the braking surfaces on the rims you can go on and on forever if you expect to get them 100% clean. It's nearly impossible to get to a stage where the baby wipe (or whatever you're using) doesn't come away black with dirt. Even when the braking surfaces are silvery-looking the wipe still seems to come away dirty but this is ok (at least for me)... You just want to get rid of the worst of it.
  • @Jamey - Babywipes are great for cleaning :-) Think I saw the tip on here first and got myself stocked up with clean rags and wipes from the local £land, especially helpful for threading into tricky areas of the frame and gear mechs as well........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    +1 I did mine for the first time in far to long yesterday and found that the new brake block I'd had to fit on the rear wasn't quite hitting the rim right..........I've rubbed off half the "Mavic Aksium" graphics on one side :shock:

I'm hoping to replace the rear brake as I just can't get the block to line up right.........it was all running so nice until I had to replace that block during the wheel replacement, hoo hum more upgrades! Still it will get me closer to my Wiggle personal discount :-)

Have you tried unscrewing the brake calipers from the frame, cleaning and oiling it thoroughly in case it's sticking - see what G66 said about toothbrushes etc?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Have you tried unscrewing the brake calipers from the frame, cleaning and oiling it thoroughly in case it's sticking - see what G66 said about toothbrushes etc?

It's the actual brake block that I can't seem to toe in correctly, the brakes themselves are working fine! When I fitted it originally I got it on best I could and tried to avoid having the brake block miss the top of the rim to avoid it rubbing the tyre, instead it started rubbing away below.

It all started when I came to fit the new wheel and found that one of the cartridge pad screws had been rounded off - the last time it was changed was at the service can I can only assume it happened then, hence I needed a new pad holder!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:

+1 I did mine for the first time in far to long yesterday and found that the new brake block I'd had to fit on the rear wasn't quite hitting the rim right..........I've rubbed off half the "Mavic Aksium" graphics on one side :shock: [/quote

You know that means it's not an Aksium any more? You'll have to get new ones. Though hear Ksyriums are good, too. Maybe an upgrade?
  • biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1 I did mine for the first time in far to long yesterday and found that the new brake block I'd had to fit on the rear wasn't quite hitting the rim right..........I've rubbed off half the "Mavic Aksium" graphics on one side :shock: [/quote

You know that means it's not an Aksium any more? You'll have to get new ones. Though hear Ksyriums are good, too. Maybe an upgrade?

Hmmmmmmm, good point there BD. I might try rubbing off the "Giant" decal on the bike as well and see if the wife lets me upgrade to one that says something like Focus ;-)
    I was a bit peeved at loosing some of the logo, but some adjustments of the block and a judicious use of a stanley knife to trim the pad down a bit should avoid any further scrubbage!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5