Fitting mudguards to a Langster

cookiemonster
cookiemonster Posts: 668
edited March 2010 in Road general
Hi

Recently got myself a Langster, and want to fit some 'guards. There's not a whole stack of space there, but I've seen pics of Langsters with them fitted (proper 'guards rather than race blades too)

Anyone have a bit guidance on what type to get and how to fit them to a Langster? I'm not sure whether there are some off the shelf units that fit, or if i need to get the hacksaw and pliers out.... :)

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I went in the the LBS and asked about getting some race blades for the langster - they insisted they could fit full guards and did so, but I just let them get on with it. No idea how they actually went about it! :oops: I do know they have some 'band on' type fittings on the bottom of the guard struts to attach them to the bike frame
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • hi - can you tell me which bike shop, and i'll give them a call?

cheers

jon
  • Far and away the best way to do it is to give it to your lbs. They'll then be the ones spending hours looking for the particular clamps that actually fit and grinding the mudguards down to size!!!!!

Agree the price in advance as well...
  • yeah, i live in central london, so my lbs is evans, cycle surgery or (god help me) someone like condor

after i agree a price up front i'll have to agree the remortgage with the bank to pay for it.. :)
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Prettyeasy to make up your own P-clips from scrap strip and protect the frame and forks with bits of old inner tube.

I did my old '05 Langster without too much difficulty. The rear end was drilled anyway so all I really needed to do was make up some P clips for those chunky forks.

I miss my old Langster. :cry:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I have the Tricross for 'grds, so never bothered thinking about it for the Langster. The rear should be reasonably straightforward: the drop outs are drilled as is of course the seat stay bridge. No chainstay bridge will probably best be worked around with zip ties. I guess trimming and strengthening the 'grd to pass beneath the calipers will be easier than cutting it and making a "bridge" to join it either side of the seat stay bridge. For the front, either P-clips or a bracket to fix to the axle.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    The other way around the front end problem would be to use the same star washer and clamp screw arrangement on the bottom of the fork steerer that you have to clamp the headset at the top. This is how it is done on mtb forks to fit guards. On the bottom end you can use "p"clips or you can attach your stays direct to the wheel spindle (for those like me who use nutted spindles it is even easier) if the stays are long enough. A sophistication is brazing flat washers to your stays so that the wheel clamps flat.
    I am not a Langster owner (yet?)
    Cheers Jo
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Forgot it has a caliper on the front. Silly me!!!
    Cheers Jo
  • Or like this?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/R8J2R5heN99W46Iq786T6w?feat=directlink

Thou I did change the front fork for one with mudguard eyes, you could use the same method as the rear.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    WHAT a neat and tidy looking Langster! Ver' nice!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Thanks!

Only thing is i was riding it home last night, and was thinking that I don't really like it. Not sure why, but I remember liking my old beat up SJS Cycles steel framed ss made from crap parts which I rode before this.

Now on the look out for a replacement frame...
  • I've done similar, see this for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12657679
  • Hi

Recently got myself a Langster, and want to fit some 'guards. There's not a whole stack of space there, but I've seen pics of Langsters with them fitted (proper 'guards rather than race blades too)

Anyone have a bit guidance on what type to get and how to fit them to a Langster? I'm not sure whether there are some off the shelf units that fit, or if i need to get the hacksaw and pliers out.... :)

Cheers

Jon
    One of our team riders has fitted full guards to his Specialized Langster, it had just enough clearance for SKS P35 guards on the back, athough he replaced the front fork and brake caliper.

4358474335_25f88f0a7e_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
    www.corridori.co.uk
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    What did he do for the bridge to hold the mudguard in place behind the seat tube?
    I am looking for the neatest solution and saw on one version a plastice bolt on mount that crossed between the stays...never to be seen again
  • gbr236 wrote:
    What did he do for the bridge to hold the mudguard in place behind the seat tube?
    I am looking for the neatest solution and saw on one version a plastice bolt on mount that crossed between the stays...never to be seen again
    We used a 30.9 reflector bracket (similar to the one in the top pic below), the tab fitted down between the stays ; not his bike but what one we did same thing to; works a treat.
    4443898476_76d8d1cfe2_o.jpg

4358611973_9734c779ec_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
    www.corridori.co.uk
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    very nice thanks