Who wants to lose a stone by March-Week 7! (9th-15th Feb)

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
Hello all,
I will update the stats later (going to the dentist shortly...:()
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the icey weather which has been blighting my mileage attempts, hur-feckin'-rah! Its also noticeably lighter mornings and evenings, which helps me psychologically on my commutes.
Only 6 weeks now til the cheshire cat! Im feeling a little apprehensive but i still think i can do it.
-
-
-
-
-stats to go here later
-
-
-
-
-

Thank you all :)

Comments

• bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Ive had a pretty decent week in terms of what ive managed to get done. My appetite has somewhat died since a hard ride last week and hasnt come back, which is a good thing, as long as i manage to eat enough to stop myself from collapsing!
    Anyway here was my week:
    Monday: Nothing
    Tuesday: Nothing :s
    Wednesday: 28 mile commute
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 28 mile commute
    Saturday: 50 miles- fairly hilly
    Sunday: 50 miles- few steep hills...

Total mileage for week = 156 (wooo!)
    Weight before 10st
    Weight now 9st13. So not much change there but at least its in the right direction...
    Total loss= 4lbs. (10lbs to go in 6 weeks)
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    This week

Commuted

Mon 8 mile
    Tues 16 mile
    Wed 18 mile
    Thur 8 mile
    Fri 8 mile
    Sun : 10 miles

Have added a more brutal hill to my commute home which on the fixie is quite tough, was unable to give the girl with the short skirt a backie up it though so more time doing squats is in order.

Ran
    Mon 5.5 mile
    Sun 13 miles

Weigh in this AM 78.4 kg, not much loss from last week but definitely hydrated so a proper weight, lost since Jan 01, 3.6 kg
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I managed to get a 59 mile ride in on Saturday, and should be doing a long century Saturday coming (I don't know the exact distance - probably about 105 miles).

I drank too much beer last week, so I only lost 0.7 pounds. Total lost since Christmas 9.5 pounds, total lost for this challenge so far 7.3 pounds. Weight now 15 stone 2.7 pounds. 4 inches lost from waist (now 41", aiming for 32").

Progress report on my blog, The latest OJ-ometer reading
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Pretty quiet on the training front last week, and Sundays' ride was a disaster, blew up after 2 miles (that will teach me to go straight at a hlil without warming up first). But never mind, nice to get out on the roads at last.

Anyway, this weeks weight is 199 pounds, yes I am under 200 pounds, and it's the first stone out of the way, so two markers reached there.

Training should be more on track next week.
    Oh, and the unbelievable bit, that bar of Diary Milk is still intact (I can't believe I have had a bar of chocolate for a week without opening it, I must be losing my mind :shock: )
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Have a cold at the moment so not happy and not going anywhere near the weighing scales.

Picked this thing up as a minor sore throat so assumed it to be nothing and rode Wednesday night off down the track, around the track and back home. 100km in total. Legs felt good and I was happy going around the track at 40 to 45kph. Only problem was we started hitting speeds of 50kph + and I decided with 5mins to go to back off as I still had to get myself home. Still the track heart rate was very encouraging so I was happy.

Broken sleep Thursday and Friday night and I'm in full cold mode on Saturday. **** it. I've got a race to do on Sunday and I'm determined. It's seem everytime I pre enter I pick up a cold (2 out of 3 MTB events last year) so I'm going no mater what.

I tag along at the back and I'm instantly slow. Heart rate is sky high so I settle down and decide to push on the second and third laps. I push on the second but die on the third and quit starting the fourth.

( 31min for the "easier" first lap - 34mins for the "push" lap :shock: and nearly 39min for the third lap.....)
    Paul
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    edited February 2009
    a good week 78.2kg this morning (start at New Year 81kg), about 120 hilly miles last week
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Hagrid
    Hagrid Posts: 22
    Tipped the scales at 16st4 on Sunday morning - a wholly implausible 5lb loss from the week before. Waist is a little thinner, though, so hopefully we are back on a downward trajectory. My fear is, though, that I'm still stuck on a plateau. If I am, I can't think of anything else to do but to eat a LOT less.

As for exercise, Tue and Thu was 2 hours gym work and a brisk hour long walk home. Wed. 2 hrs on the turbo, Sat. 4hrs on the turbo (72 exciting miles :( ) and 45 mins of gentle spinning on the turbo come Sunday.

PJM - sympathies on the cold. Unfortunately, the best thing to do when you get one is absolutely nothing. Exercise just makes you sicker. :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The week in summary -

Lost a pound.

Total time - 10:15:03
    Miles - 160.14
    Ave HR - 140
    Total Calories - 5882

Just can't get rid of any weight! Eating fairly healthily, training plenty. Not losing any weight :(
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just can't get rid of any weight! Eating fairly healthily, training plenty. Not losing any weight :(
    Perhaps it is time for you to start eating very healthily? :wink:
  • Down to 13 stone 2 Ilbs now from a starting bulk of 14 stone 6ibs without doing much of anything really since the New Year except eat sensibly - hasn't made a great deal of impact on my riding yet but it will - especially when I get down to my target weight of 11 stone!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • Hagrid
    NapoleonD wrote:

A couple of questions: (1) how close are you to your ideal weight? (2) are you keeping a food diary?
  • Anonymous
    Hagrid,
    1 - about a stone and a half I think.
    2 - I keep trying but due to every minute of the day being filled with work/kids/riding it keeps going by the wayside. I find them very helpful though!
  • I've really lost the plot on this guys, not weighed myself recently, but concerned I'm static or gained, up to last saturday not got to gym or ridden, did 40 miles on saturday but found it really rough.

I'll see if I can improve on things this week and get a weight recorded.
  • Great week for me.

Started 89.1 kg
    Last week 86.6 Kg
    Tonight 86.1 Kg, 19.4% fat, 53.4% water
    Total loss = 3 Kg

Thursday 23 m including ride home iin snow blizzard.
    Fri - car bound due to weather
    Sat - nothing
    Sun - 70 flat miles alone
    Monday 26 m
    Tues 26 m
    Today 29 m
    === 174 m for the week

Loosing 1/2 Kg per week is exactly where I want to be.

DM
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Start 93kg
    last week 87.1kg
    this week 86.7kg

Did about 11 hours on the bike last week including the Cat and Fiddle ride on Sunday which worked out around 60 hilly miles.

Just back from 3 days in London where I let go a bit - a couple of glasses of wine each day, the odd cocktail, a couple of deserts.......stepped on and I'm back to 87.0kg so hoping just to get back to where I was last week by the time I get on the scales on Monday again. Problem is, I have a really big "do" on Saturday night so it's going to be difficult. Oh, and the kids are on holiday this week so I'm on the rollers again.
  • Anonymous
    You're doing better than me in the weight dept! I'm getting the training in but it just.... won't.... go!
  • Ken Night
    popette wrote:
    a couple of deserts.......
    .....Mojave, Gobi......?

You're doing great-I wish I could get the weight off as fast as you have
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Ken Night wrote:
    popette wrote:
    .....Mojave, Gobi......?

:lol: I thought it didn't look quite right when I wrote it

Cheers Ken - It certainly does feel good to be a bit lighter. Next job is to get a bit faster.

NapoleonD - you were amazingly fast at the weekend so the weight doesn't appear to be hampering you. Would you still be interested in a midweek ride now you know how slow I really am?
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Feeling better so weighed myself and happy to report still at 15st 13lb. Surprising really the amount I've eaten in the last few days.
    Paul
  • Ken Night
    Amazing bunch ride tonight for three reasons

I've been communting up to 15miles each way most days-and feeling tired towards the end of the week. The regular miles are paying off-though I didn't commute today, and so was fresh for the bunch ride, I felt really good

Losing nearly 5lb since the new Year makes me feel good

My commuting bike is a cyclocross bike, on which I have mudguards and a heavy saddlebag -sometimes up to 8lbs of stuff. I rode it tonight without the saddlebag, and noticed an immediate difference not only in the handling of the bike, but also the weight of it.

Now to get that extra 8lbs off me...
  • Anonymous
    popette wrote:
    Ken Night wrote:
    popette wrote:
    .....Mojave, Gobi......?

:lol: I thought it didn't look quite right when I wrote it

Cheers Ken - It certainly does feel good to be a bit lighter. Next job is to get a bit faster.

NapoleonD - you were amazingly fast at the weekend so the weight doesn't appear to be hampering you. Would you still be interested in a midweek ride now you know how slow I really am?

Cheers! You did pretty well yourself. As always, up for a midweek spin...
  • Hagrid
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hagrid,
    1 - about a stone and a half I think.
    2 - I keep trying but due to every minute of the day being filled with work/kids/riding it keeps going by the wayside. I find them very helpful though!

There are two possibilities. First, if you're not keeping track of what you're eating you may just be eating more than you think. A useful exercise, if you can handle it, is to remove half of what you're just about to eat and throw it in the bin (so you don't pick at it later). Try that for a week (no more) and see. If you get somewhere you know that you're just eating too much. Half off indefinitely is unsustainable but you will need to cut back a lot more than you think. Get someone in the family to keep your diary for you

A more insidious problem is that you may have reached a "set point" where your brain has decided that your body composition is just fine, thank you very much. Your metabolism slows down despite your best efforts, you unconsciously eat a couple of mouthfuls more than you need to lose weight and what comes out the other end decreases as your body wrings out every single calorie with ferocious efficiency. I don't know a good way round this other than to be ruthlessly stubborn about what you put in your mouth. If you keep exercising and you keep bearing down on the problem you should eventually break through -- but it's tough! On my "weigh" down from 20st8 I hit a set point at 18st3 that it took me a year to break through -- and I have a strong suspicion I've hit another one right now. Some weight watchers people suggest you change what you eat (a lot of people here swear by yoghurt and cheese if they're missing from your diet) to fool your body into thinking it's getting more food than usual but it doesn't work for everyone. It is, however, what I'm trying right now. Please don't give up!
  • Anonymous
    Cheers for the pointers Hagrid! I think I am still being too undisciplined!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    i am late in entering details again, losing some motivation ? i went to portugal to see wales therefore got hammered two days, did ride of 1 h 50 mins before going and after so not too bad, weight same again
  • 37 miler today weight as last week and unlikely to go down in time. not to worry long term enjoy my cycling and it'll go in time good luck all.
  • Currently weigh 14st 8lbs...want to get down to 14stone (13st 10lbs minimum)

Mon-18.5miles
    Tuesday-18.5miles
    Wednesday-37miles
    Thursday-37 miles
    Friday-37miles

In the spring/summer I will be throwing in the Boxhill loop 2-3 times a week at the end of my commute.

The way to lose weight is do hilly rides......Newlands Corner, Coast Hill, Boxhill and Chapel Hill normally do the trick!