Flataway tape

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Does it work? The Conti Sport Contacts on my EBC Courier Race are getting glass punctures about twice a week. I see that Continental advertise these tyres as being "Puncture Protected", now either this is a new feature not present on the tyres I've got or I need more protection. Really like the tyres, nice and fast - but getting fed up with the punctures. Do you think the tape would help?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you taken off your tyres and given them a thorough inspection and clean (including the tubes and the rims) to make sure there is no debris caught in either the tyre itself or inside the tyre which is repeatedly causing punctures? Twice a week is hugely unlucky if it's not this, even with the most mimsy of tyres.
  • jon208
    No worries mate, yep - done this each and every time. Just like my Dad taught me when I was a nipper :wink:

Every time there's a new big chunk of glass stuck in the tyre just where the puncture is. Guess I'm just going through an unlucky streak! Getting a bit fed up with it, thinking about buying some reflective Marathon Plus 700x32s (if I can find anywhere that has them in stock!) but don't want to sacrifice the speed of the Contis.
  • I've got 26" Conti Sport Contacts and can't say I've suffered many punctures at all with them. I've got innumerable little slits and cuts in the tyre but can only recall having to repair punctures about three times. And one of those was due to a massive thorn. If they're really bugging you, don't they come with some sort of anti-puncture guarantee you could make use of?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    How old are your tyres - if there is a flat bit, chances are they are done for. I know its time to get a new one when I start getting "unlucky" like that.

In the short term, you could just try switching them - the back wears a lot fast than the front.

Of course if you keep getting front flats I may be providing usesless advice.....

Those plastic things you put on the inside do get good reviews, but they aren't going to help the ride quality.
  • jon208
    Thanks, might give them a bash. Failing that it may be time to switch to the mighty Schwable Marathon Plus and just think of them as extra training! Anyone know if these have reflective sidewalls?
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    A friend from work asked me to fix a puncture on his daughter's MTB and to show him how to do it in future (41 and can't fix a puncture :roll: ). Anyway, took the tube out found two snake bite like punctures and thought pinch puncture. I then explained that you should always check the tyre for embed sharps and as I was doing this found a six cm long bit of metal filing (is that the proper word) from the rim inside the tyre. I knew the bike was cheap but that was just silly.

I know this has nothing to do with the original post but wanted to tell someone and this seemed most appropriate!
    Steve C
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Sounds like the problems i was having with narrow tyres. Marathon Plus tyres did reduce my problems. I ended up going back to the mountain bike with slicks and tyre liners. I don't think my riding style suits racers.
  • I would agree that it's time for new tyres. Mine suddenly started getting frequent punctures, visible inspection there didn't seem to be a problem with wear but new tryes completely ceased the punctures.
    <a>road</a>
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    conti 4000 4 season or spesh armadillos...can't beat em!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • this sounds like an advert i know, but i used to get punctures all the time from the cross country / towpath / wooded track runs i frequent

i fitted flataway tape just before xmas and i've had nothing since - it won't prevent pinch punctures (but i make sure my tyres are solid and i avoid the causes when possible)

it's a pain in the 4r5e to fit, and a nightmare to cut - it's kevlar what do you expect :-) but once in it pays for itself pretty quickly

thinking about this logically though, it works for me becuase i have inner tubes and the flataway acts as a barrier to protect the inner tube. so if you run tubeless then flataway is not going to do much for you i guess

hope this is useful

adamski