Why was I so rubbish tonight?

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
OK... Tonight's turbo session was really poor. Average speed for the workout was only 0.5 km/h below my best, but my average HR was 8bpm (4%) higher, I sweated loads more than usual, felt like I was really struggling and was using a gear lighter on most of the intervals... Which are usually between 173 and 180bpm and were between 178 and 185 tonight (max of 196)

I've just come off a weeks rest (rested last monday to friday, rode sat and sun on my program, felt recovered) and have been going really well recently to the extent that I was expecting to PB that workout tonight.

I'm trying to think what it could be....

The temperature in the room where i turbo was, so says my polar, 5C higher than it has been the last 3/4 times i've done that workout

Was i dehydrated? I drink a 750ml bottle in an hour on the turbo, but was really thirsty after only 5 mins of warmup tonight

Didn't eat enough before hand?

Really puzzled, don't think i'm coming down with anything as I feel great otherwise... Please don't tell me my form can drop off that much in 48 hours with 3 weeks until my first race!
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Not everyday can be a PB day. I sometimes write a day off as a crap day and only worry if the problems persists into the next couple of sessions
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Many of the things you describe point to either it being due to being warmer and/or you being dehydrated.

And I don't think I've ever used "being" three times in a setence before.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Many of the things you describe point to either it being due to being warmer and/or you being dehydrated.

And I don't think I've ever used "being" three times in a setence before.

Well... I woke up with a dry mouth this morning, so maybe that was it. Its a two Nuun tablet day!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yep I would say its the 5 degree increase in the temperature. Sounds like a small change, but it multiplies in a fast pace workout. Don't stress about it, you'll do way better next time.
  • Do you have a fan in the room to cool you down? If not I strongly recommend one.

I've also found turbo sessions variable, especially if it's too warm, it's very easy to get overheated.

Alternative is that dry mouth could indicate the start of a cold / sore throat, which could also explain performance.