Racing Licence?

jakemckenna
jakemckenna Posts: 25
edited February 2009 in XC and Enduro
I was wondering about getting a racing licence but was unsure if it really is that important?

I am going to compete in the junior category at the Midlands XC and some NPS XC rounds but was unsure if I really needed one (do you need a racing licence to compete)? Also, it costs about £25 and being on a tight budget is it worth the money?

Anyone got any advice on if it is essential and if you should actually get one.

Comments

• SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I've recently had the same dilemma having decided to enter the same series as you. I decided to go with the licence so I could race in the (hopefully more competitive for me) Sport category. I also like the thought of trying to improve on my national ranking each year (if I actually get any points!) and also being a member of BC I've got insurance in case of any accidents.

For the British Mountain Bike Race Series (formerly NPS) you can ride Sport for one round without a licence, Expert and Elite need a licence for all rounds. Open you don't need a licence for any of the rounds.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    I got one to race cyclocross, so I can't comment on the particular events you mention.

However, in your situation I'd probaby get one for the peace of mind that the insurance offers.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Of course you would have to check the small print but I think you just need to be a member of British Cycling to get the insurance :)

It maybe different for Cyclo-x
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Ah yeah, now I look at it I think the insurance for racing came with the Silver membership level. The racing license itself was separate - I vaguely seem to remember I went for it because I'd have to pay extra for each event if I didn't have one!

Give the event organisers a ring, and/or British Cycling who can tell you what insurance etc. you get.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • You don't need one for the NW series

www.brownbacksracing.co.uk