Where to find retro cycling shoes for that classic bike?

psychlist
psychlist Posts: 34
edited February 2009 in Road general
I've bought an old bike and feel the need for a pair of retro cycling shoes for use with toe clips. Genuine Detto Petros seem to be unavailable - has anyone found anything else?

The new Dromarti shoes look beautiful, but are very expensive.
psychlist

Comments

• mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Size? I think I know where a couple of pairs may be or I have a used pair of 8's
  • I'm 9.5 to 10 - the 10 if a narrow shoe :-)
    psychlist
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    NOS retro leather shoes come up on th'bay occasionally. I paid I think .99p for a pair some time ago and more recently maybe a little more for some barely used ones.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    There are a handful of makers selling hand made, old fashioned, poncetastic shoes to the fashion victim about town (at fashion victim prices). Adidas do a retro looking black leather lace up, but it's actually a modern shoe. So you get the looks with clipless pedal compatibility and all mod cons. I seem to recall the price is something like £140!

All the NOS stuff seems to have been snapped up over the last couple of years, meaning that either you hang around ebay waiting for the right shoe in the right size to pop up or pay through the nose for something new.

Personally I'd choose the former, but then I'm potless.
  • GarethPJ
    There are a handful of makers selling hand made, old fashioned, poncetastic shoes to the fashion victim about town (at fashion victim prices). Adidas do a retro looking black leather lace up, but it's actually a modern shoe. So you get the looks with clipless pedal compatibility and all mod cons. I seem to recall the price is something like £140!

All the NOS stuff seems to have been snapped up over the last couple of years, meaning that either you hang around ebay waiting for the right shoe in the right size to pop up or pay through the nose for something new.

• GarethPJ

• so much for flood control eh?

Detto Pietro shoes are available in limited sizes from here: http://www.vintagevelos.com/SHOE-detto1.html
  • GarethPJ
    Don't ask me what happened there. I only hit Submit once, got a gateway timeout message thought sod it and went for a browse on ebay.

Actually I'm finding a lot of performance problems with the forums over the last few weeks.
  • flashes
    flashes Posts: 229
    I bought new carnac leather shoes of flea bay, £30 a couple of years ago they are fab, I use them all year round, on the track and you can walk in them. They're are none on at present but they come up quite often.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    From my own experiences, I picked up a pair of Duegis a few years ago to ride around on my old Gios and the difference between modern and old shoes is quite significant - unless of course you enjoy painful feet - modern shoes are stiffer and more supportive - so unless you are genuinely just going for a pootle, suggest you look at modern shoes with a retro-look rather than trying to find some old ones. A few years ago there were plenty on ebay, but now they seem to be harder to come by and prices are 5-6x higher. Maressi still make retro-look shoes with modern carbon soles - pricey though!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've found a few possibilities but all are costly or unavailable. I am looking for something to pootle about (AKA pose) in on my vintage road bike ( to go with my Hebden Cords cycle breeks just found on eBay).

There is a traditional leather touring shoe still made in Northampton which looks suitably retro (Reynolds Shoes) but the website is not reassuring. Another posssibility is Exustar Stelvio, but these are generally sold out and maybe not retro enough. Shimano and Nike both do retro-looking road shoes, but I need something to walk in.

Come on manufacturers, there are plenty of people after the retro look!
    psychlist
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Just a thought. Sommething like an military surplus officers shoe will have a leather sole. Any decent cobbler will add another layer which may be enough. I am sure they could also reduce any welt as well. In fact wouldn't the multi use shoe be more in keeping. Just a thought if nowt else comes up.
  • bowser
    bowser Posts: 163
    i managed to find a nice pair of carnac carlits on flea bay recently (new) wouldnt fancy used shoes. they where expensive originally . they do sometimes crop up