sprint training

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
Hi
which is the best way to train for a sprint at the end of a race? if there are any tips or techniques as well as sessions then they would be helpful.
thanks
Will

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    To train for sprinting, sprint.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ride until your legs get tired - then start sprinting.
  • i didnt mean when i'm tired i ment how can i train for a sprint race. for example should i do intervals or short bursts of 10 pedal strokes.
  • softlad
    a 'sprint race' - are you talking about track racing..?
  • track racing, or at the end of a criterium or road race. that kind of thing.
  • softlad
    love2ride wrote:
    track racing, or at the end of a criterium or road race. that kind of thing.

there is a big difference in the kind of training required between track sprinting and road racing. try to be more specific....
  • probably the final sprint at the end of a criterium or the final sprint at the end of and individual sprint event.
  • softlad
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Either way, if you want to get better at sprinting - try sprinting. Like most things in life, the more you do it, the better at it you will become...
  • Sitting in until the last 100 metres helps :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    love2ride wrote:
    Hi
    which is the best way to train for a sprint at the end of a race? if there are any tips or techniques as well as sessions then they would be helpful.
    thanks
    Will

The best way to train for a sprint I would say is to train over a larger distance than is required, i.e. if you need to sprint over a distance of 3 miles then make sure that you can sprint over say 4 or 5 miles. That way when you come to sprint over the 3 miles it should be a lot easier.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Sprint over 3 miles??? Thats a short TT. A sprint is more like a few 100metres surely?

So to OP find a bit of road at a good few hundred metres long min, with an obvious finish line, build up to a decent speed 20mph+ then give it all the effort you have until you get to the line. Recover and repeat till you start getting slower and slower then go home.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Came across this article on Bikeradar:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/traini ... ints-17451

............and after a bit of searching on here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12567749