Technical / Workshop forums

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
It strikes me that having a few separate technical forums is worse than just having one unified forum.

Mechanically speaking, road bikes and mountain bikes don't work that differently from each other and apart from a few threads about disc brakes (MTBers) or carbon (roadies) the benfits of having one single forum for all workshop discussion would be extremely worthwhile.

Please can this be considered in the next forum overhaul?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The problem I see with this: Where would it go?

It can't go in the BR Office section, and obviously can't go in one of the riding categories if it's supposed to cover all of them. So, we would need a new category, which is a pain. At which point another problem arises: What do we put in the new category? Just a workshop board? We would then have 3 categories which have only 1 board each, Workshop Commuting and Family. While that's not entirely disastrous, I see it as something to be avoided.
  • Jamey
    Yes, I was thinking of a new workshop/technical category.

But really all the category admin is a bit of another discussion (one which i believe they're already having, aren't they?) and I'm not too fussed about what goes where and how you actually organise it.

I just think that wherever it goes, a unified workshop forum would be beneficial to everyone.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jamey

for it to worl it really needs people to use the forums as laid out and not just live in there own part.

like "your" workshop area was made because the commuters were posting tech questions in commuting and not going to whatever the road guys use for tech questions. (they seem to have more than one area....)

but yes i agree.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jamey
    With a bit of careful modding and a month or two for a new layout/system to bed in, I think that problem would begin to disappear.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think you'd turn a lot of the roadies off if you have a tech section filled with suspension questions.

Nick's right, a lot of us live in our own little part of the forum never venturing out into the other areas, I'm as much a culprit as anyone :oops: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the current set up is fine - is a busy place for both road and bike, so it would get pretty clogged up. Plus I don't want to go wading through loads of roadie specific stuff ;-)

More useful would be cutting down the amount of little used sections.