Advice on injury

tom_majski
tom_majski Posts: 432
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
So about 3 weeks ago i cut my leg during a DH race. Had it cleaned and had a tetanus jab at the docs a couple of days later. On wednesday (last week) i went to test the water for my first time back on the bike at coed y brenin. Set off around Temtiwr, and by the time i got to Dream Time it was bleeding quite nicely. So back home.

I steri-stripped it up and went to the docs again to check it wasn't infected. Which they say its not. The problem i have now is, apart from the yellow smelly stuff it does seem to be healing, but i have 2 nights booked in the coed y bunkhouse for this weekend and plan to ride Tarw and Dragon's Back over the weekend.

What i'm wondering is if anyone in the know, or anyone who has had a cut like this, thinks its likely to survive the weekend, or is it going to open up and cause problems? Bearing in mind its taped up now. Pics of when i did it and how it is now below. Thanks

3 weeks ago
Tom1.jpg

Now

Tom2.jpg

Comments

• I came off in Spain last year, and took a couple of chunks out of my leg as I carried on heading down the hill.
    As you have got it infected now, you need to keep it open to allow the infection to clear - possibly might be worth visiting the GP if it starts to get worse - in all honestly from the pictures its in a similar position to where I did mine and it will open up again. Plus you need to keep it clean otherwise you could end up with problems.
    ...................................................................................................

www.justgiving.co.uk/simonjansma
  • sjansma wrote:
    I came off in Spain last year, and took a couple of chunks out of my leg as I carried on heading down the hill.
    As you have got it infected now, you need to keep it open to allow the infection to clear - possibly might be worth visiting the GP if it starts to get worse - in all honestly from the pictures its in a similar position to where I did mine and it will open up again. Plus you need to keep it clean otherwise you could end up with problems.

Nurse told me this weekend that it's not infected and the yellow crap is normal. I can dress it to keep it clean for the weekend. Just don't want it splitting open again that's all.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Doesn't look infected from here, but difficult to tell from so far away, also difficult to tell exactly where it is and the exact nature of it. It looks to me more like a deep abrasion with a bit of skin loss rather than a laceration/cut. This makes it more difficult to close and more likely to keep opening up. The only problems you will have from a wound that keeps opening are increased potential for infection and a bigger scar.

Keep it clean, cover it when you are up to your eyeballs in shit and keep it uncovered otherwise would be my advice. Rub vasaline onto the scab to make it softer and less likely to split.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath