Aspartame free sports drinks??? Do they exist?

Tranced
Tranced Posts: 165
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I suffer from chronic headache/ migraine & was recently referred to various websites which rightly or wrongly highlight the dangers & health risks attached to Aspartame "sweetner".
Some shocking things to be sure if the details in the sites is even 1/2 correct.

So... OK let's try avoid it for a while & see if there is a difference.... not that easy.
My Rhibena is saturated in it.. as is my Lucozade Fuel mix... as is etc etc etc and the list goes on.

So, is there a "Aspartame free sports drink" that is simultaneously a cabo load/ replacement energy boosting sports drink. I don't really care if it's sour.
Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!

Comments

• do you have a link to these websites?
  • The stuff produced by High5 is asparteme free, it's not as sweet as other drinks but doesn't taste bitter. The drink I used was their 4:1 energy drink that also contains protein. I am currently on a giant tub of PSP22 which does taste quite sweet. The other, maybe better approach in your case may be to go for unflavoured PSP22, from Science in Sport.
  • Tranced
    Here's example of the websites:

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

http://www.sweetpoison.com/

Looks like this is FDA approved for MONEY, just like alcohol & cigarettes???
  • Tranced
    James... the "unflavoured PSP22," is available through???
  • Both of those website are terrible. (and american for starters).
    the first is an over hyped reaction to an excess of pure aspartame intake.
    "aspartame poisoning" as described in the second website would only be seen in extreme cases of people who consume substantially high amounts of artificially sweetened food and drink, but it would be very rare.

You'll notice that there is NO warnings or health topics regarding the "dangers of aspartame" on either the NHS or Department of Health websites.

Caffeine causes cancer yunno :wink:
  • If your that bothered about it...drink water.
  • Tranced
    Both comments about the sites above are valid, but there are many more.
    Point is to try reduce headaches I have nothing to loose by avoiding it for a while & seeing if it makes a diference.

So, since water has absolute no energy boosting/ recovery properties, my simple question remains...

are there any Aspartame free sports drinks.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Make your own Isotonic drink - diluted fruit juice or squash with a pinch of salt (and a pinch of the salf substitute as well if you can get hold of it). This way you'll know exactly what's in it!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Tranced wrote:
    Both comments about the sites above are valid, but there are many more.
    Point is to try reduce headaches I have nothing to loose by avoiding it for a while & seeing if it makes a diference.

So, since water has absolute no energy boosting/ recovery properties, my simple question remains...

are there any Aspartame free sports drinks.
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    If your getting constant headaches you could just be dehydrated. As Blackspur said, make your own isotonic drink.
  • You can get Science in Sport or High5 products from Wiggle or other online shops, or maybe better from http://www.fuelsport.co.uk/. Am assuming you're in the uk of course...

But as other people have said above aspartame is unlikely to be causing your headaches, it may be dehydration or something else, perhaps you should consider going to see your doctor for a checkup if they are really bad.
  • Tranced
    Thanks James.
    As for the dr thing... have been for +- 8 yrs. MRIs, various meds etc & no change. Hence trying something different.
    Nothing to lose.
  • Remember, what you don't know can kill you..

I agree wwholeheartedly with "Tranced" and also avoid every product I can that contains Aspartame and Phenylalanine
    These products don't affect everyone but they have been proven responsible for health issues in tens of thousands of people. They are probably responsible for many undiagnosed medical issues too..
    In my book, prevention beats cure and if it was "that harmless", well Google Aspartame and Phenylalanine and see just how many hits focus on the toxicity of these products found in so much modern footstuffs
  • As someone who through trial and error found that aspartame was causing problems with how my body dealt with things.
    Since I cut it out, things have improved no end.
    It is a lot harder to find the drinks which don't contain it, but High5 is about the only one i have found.
    Also some of the Lucozade mixes are free of aspartame, though you will have need to read the ingredients to make sure you pick the right one.
    If you are after a subsitute for Lucozade Sport then Gatorade is the only one i have seen, though its taste is something you will either love or hate
    ...................................................................................................

www.justgiving.co.uk/simonjansma
  • i've just been diagnosed as being intolerant to aspartame and have been told the best thing to look for is Xylitol. Reading labels for stuff sucks so much.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Tranced
    So far I have found Gatorade & the High5 stuff seem to be free of it. Also the Locozade "Hydrate" sachets. These say sweetner is suger, dextrose or fructose. Local health food shop has also suggested "Xylitol" but says that typically sports supplement/ drinks makers are generally last to respond to changes/ concerns in the market about components in their products.
  • benji90
    benji90 Posts: 114
    Tranced wrote:
    I suffer from chronic headache/ migraine

Just out of interest, do you drink tea or coffee?

I suffered from hideous, debilitating migraines from the age of 12 to 25, and it wasnt until I realised they were from caffeine withdrawl that I sorted them out.

I cut caffaine out of my diet completely, suffered horribly for 2 weeeks with the withdrawl, and havent had another headache since, other than when I tried to start drinking coffee again! I think about how lucky I am everyday that I found the source of the problem.
  • Tranced
    Stopped the coffee about 4 yrs ago. That did make a difference. Yeah, without a doubt that wasn't doing me any good. Allow myself 2/3 x teas per day now.
  • Have you read the book SWEET POISON? It will make you think twice about having aspertame (Equal) in your life.
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    TAUT energy drink
    they sell it at my local jjb gym and on the advertisement posters it says it's aspartame free.
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness