Information on 3 bikes?

Phantomkipper
Phantomkipper Posts: 15
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
This may be old ground for alot of members, but its all new to me.

I'm trying to fix a choice of new bike between three. The trouble is, I can't find one dealer with all three in stock to test, and some dealers like to set up the bike on a turbo trainer rather than offer road tests. One dealer reccomended a 54cm trek and another a 56cm version after a 'sit on' apraisal. Getting a reliable comparison is tricky!

Add to that the need to get one through the Cyclescheme at work, and the number of dealers near Coventry is limited.

Anyway, the bikes.
Giant Defy 2.5, Trek 1.5, Cube Ariel - all around the £650 - 700. I'm 5'11" and close to 110 kg. I'm moving from a suspension mountain bike for some on road training and 'social' riding and it may be that these specs are all irrelevant.

The Giant and Cube seem to have the better groupsets - all Tiagra, while the Trek has better wheels and a carbon seat post but a Sora / Tiagra mix for the front / rear mech. etc.

I'd like to put guards on for winter/ wet weather riding, and that seems to rank the Giant and Trek above the Cube.

I'm moving from a suspension mountain bike for some on road training and 'social' riding and it may be that these specs are all irrelevant.

Any comments? Anyone know how the Cube compares? I've heard less complimentary things about the seat and post on the Cube - but these wouldn't show up 'till after a few miles.

Help gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Hi,

I've got the Giant Defy 2.5 am nearly 5'11 what's 1/2 an inch really! and am a good bit more than 110kg.

I find it perfect for what I need, not done hundreds of miles yet but had no issues and love riding it.
  • Thanks for the re assurance - I wasn't sure how each of the bikes would cope with a 'larger' rider and knew very little about the Cube. The Giant's have a good reputation and its good to hear positive things about the 2.5 - any views on double vs triple for the 2.5 Defy?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    If you're heavy get a triple. You can change to a double when you're down to 75kgs! :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Hi, pottssteve - that sounds like something to work towards! triple will do for the moment.

Another weight related issue is the tyre size - it's tempting to go to 23mm to make space for full guards, but will they neeed to be higher pressure than 25mm and therefore provide a harsh ride? 2mm seems like such a small difference but I was told it could make a big difference to the ride.
  • I sell both Giant & Trek.

I would give the wink to the Giant almost everytime, the spec is usually a little better for your money.

I am also a heavy rider knocking on 115kgs, I run 23's on all my road bikes no problem at all, however you would do well to change up the stock wheels to something like Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrum 5's or 7's.

These wheels will deal with the weight much better, will stay true for longer and are significantly better than Giant's own or Alexx Rims or whattever is on the Defy also better than the Bonty's on the Trek, these will cost you anything from £120 Aksiums and 7'ss - £160 for the 5's.

I will however say this, if you are like most of us and this road bike thing becomes a bit of a habit, you may find yourself wanting to sell your Defy or 1.5 in the not too distant future to help with an upgrade. The Trek will sell much easier and for a better second hand price than a comparable spec Giant !

Go for the Triple without question, you can change for a double / compact when your looking like Lance.

Hope this is of some help.
    weight.png

I would give the wink to the Giant almost everytime, the spec is usually a little better for your money.

I am also a heavy rider knocking on 115kgs, I run 23's on all my road bikes no problem at all, however you would do well to change up the stock wheels to something like Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrum 5's or 7's.

These wheels will deal with the weight much better, will stay true for longer and are significantly better than Giant's own or Alexx Rims or whattever is on the Defy also better than the Bonty's on the Trek, these will cost you anything from £120 Aksiums and 7'ss - £160 for the 5's.

I will however say this, if you are like most of us and this road bike thing becomes a bit of a habit, you may find yourself wanting to sell your Defy or 1.5 in the not too distant future to help with an upgrade. The Trek will sell much easier and for a better second hand price than a comparable spec Giant !

Go for the Triple without question, you can change for a double / compact when your looking like Lance.

weight.png

weight.png
  • You see what happens when you get impatient and start on that flipping send button !
    weight.png
  • lol,
    thanks for the sound advice! I've been riding a mountain bike for fun and the road bikes look very fragile by comparison.

On a similar subject - the rrp for new Sora vs Tiagra component parts is not so very different. Would there be a noticable difference in changing the front mech from sora to tiagra, or the chainset likewise?

Also the Tiagra gearchange paddles behind the brake levers look really cool, but do they offer such a big advantage over the sora 'switches' near the hoods? After MTB triggers both systems are tricky to get used to!
  • Hi,

The difference between Sora & Tiagra in terms of shifting ability is unlikely to be improved by upgrading to a Tiagra front Mech.

An entire Tiagra chainset would last better than the Sora, but both function 100% and are excellent value for money, but ultimately you do get what you pay for !

As far as the shifters go you will get used to either type, however the quality and longevity of the Tiagra shifters is markedly better than the Sora.

I'm sorry to muddy the waters but you would be better off, getting a bike fitted with 105 kit or 105 / Tiagra mix, as having 105 shifters will allow you to run 10 speed, the shifters are also compatible with Triple/Compact/ Standard Double so you could swap things around and upgrade at a later date without having to change shifters.

The Trek 1.7 is so equipped, if you shop around you should be able to find one easy enough, even in Cov!
    weight.png
  • Thanks, don't worry about muddy waters, it helps to have a different perspective.

The Trek dealer does have a 1.7 but being on the 'Cyclescheme' it would be £950 and another has a 2007 1400 with 105 stuff for £700 but that is really the top of my budget as I need pedals, shoes, track pump, guards,some lights etc as well.

I hadn't previously considered the Cube brand, but it comes at £650 with mostly tiagra groupset (sora calipers) and Shimano R500 wheels, Schwalbe Blizzard tyres (which may be a less than perfect choice) and what seems to be a decent 7005 doublebutted ally frame. The seat post is alloy, and I heard on some forum that the seat isn't good for heavy riders. This would be easy to change. Overall a decent spec for the money?

Will need to ride as many as poss but most Lbs prefer to do the test ride or set up as final confirmation rather than to narrow down choices - same with the detailed set up. Can't blame them for that I guess.
  • Looking on line, the 2008 Trek 1.7 is available still at a reduced price - might be able to leave out some accessories and afford it.

I suppose it will come down to a ride, but does anyone have any views on an 07 Trek 1400 or an 08 Trek 1.7?

Any owners who can offer a comparison?

Still interested in anyone's experience of a Cube Aeriel, if there are any owners on the forum,

Thanks to all who have helped so far!