Everyone likes a cafe stop....

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hello. New to the forum and born again roadie.

After mountain biking for the last 15 years, I've just got my first road bike since I was a teenager - oooh some 35 years ago. Got one of those Planet-X carbon jobbies.

Anyway, as I get more used to being in the saddle, I'm looking forward to taking extended trips with Mrs Dog Breath in my locale; Wirral & Cheshire areas.

It's always nice to break the ride up with a nice cuppa somewhere, but where are all these secret cafes that only cyclists seem to know about?

The ones that I know of are Eureka, Delamere Station, Ice Cream Farm (Tattenhall) and the Candle Factory at Burwardsley. But there must be many more around the area that cyclists frequently stop at.

Is there a resource anywhere that gives lists of good cafes, or can anyone just simply add to this thread with their favourite watering holes.

Cheers

DB :)
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Shropshire CTC has a list on this page (PDF linked from there too).

If you're looking for good food in northern Snowdonia (i.e. not far from Llanberis) I can recommend Caban Cyf at the far end of the lake. 9am-4pm 7 days a week.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Leek cycling club have got a full list on http://www.leekcyclistsclub.co.uk/Coffe ... _stops.htm
    but its probably too far from cheshire
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    JC.152 wrote:
    Leek cycling club have got a full list

blaze farm on there is nice, kamikazee chickens too!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Am I the only one who never has a cafe stop?
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130

I am in the OP's area and have never stopped at a cafe.

The lads round here must ride for 10 hours on a sunday, because they spend at least an hour at the local cafe, even though they ride at about 13 mph.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011

well if i'm on my own i wont stop but out in a group its good to chill and have a chin-wag for a bit.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    marino sisi's in creetown in dumfries and galloway. best bacon roll in the world and hes a character!
  • a_n_t wrote:

well if i'm on my own i wont stop but out in a group its good to chill and have a chin-wag for a bit.

Same here. If I'm with a friend I might stop at a cafe on the way. If I'm on a 80mi plus out and back route on my own I might buy lunch out though I usually just bring sandwiches. If I am hungry and haven't brought enough food I will search for a Co-op or pub to get a snack.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I don't. Used to do it every sat and sun for three years then got into testing. Now do most of my riding solo - out the door on sun at 9, back for 12, no stop, no cafe, my own pace, no waiting for other peeps punctures - brill.
  • stavG
    stavG Posts: 3
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I found a list of Cheshire cafe stops on Weaver Valley CC's website
    http://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/Road%2 ... 0Stops.pdf
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I maintain a list of cafes in the Wirral, Cheshire and North Wales area (I'm a regular at the Eureka). http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 52398a&z=8

If you know of a cafe that isn't on there, let me know.
  • Thanks for all your input. Lots of food for thought there.

Will probably gain a few kilos in weight visiting all of these :)
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    There's a list of some from our South Devon, SE Cornwall on our website.
  • Am I the only one who never has a cafe stop?

Nope, I have never had a cake stop either. I can see the point of stopping for cake 8) its just not happened yet.
  • on the road
    When I'm out with the club I have a cafe stop because they stop, but when out on my own I never stop, no matter how long the ride is. I just feel it's a waste of valuable cycling time.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    Although I don't generally have a cake stop when out on the Wirral, Carr Farm on the Meols stretch was OK last time I was there. The Nosebag at Larton riding centre is good too.
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    All the club rides head off from the Mills (Eureka) - you'd miss out on the chat and the gossip. Plus they sell bike kit too.

I'll usually not stop when I'm training for an event - cos I dont get cafe stops in triathlon, but for the off season - cake is pretty essential. Ta for that list ! Can you go to the Cafe at Oulton Park ? That looks pretty nice.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    trig1 wrote:
    marino sisi's in creetown in dumfries and galloway. best bacon roll in the world and hes a character!

According to my sister, who lives there, he puts a tot of brandy in your coffee at any time of day. I'm on my way!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I want to throw in a quick question. I will be riding to the Ice Cream Farm in Cheshire soon, probably on my own or maybe with one other rider and am wondering if they have anything I can secure bikes to when visiting? A proper bike rack perhaps? Outside tables we can sit at with bikes? Anyone who's visited the place be kind enough to tell ;)
  • on the road
    Just rest your bike against a table or something, no one locks their bikes there. There tends to be a lot more cyclists there then non-cyclists there, you can probably chain your bike to a table but they don't have bike racks.
  • cougie
    Dont worry - lots of club runs head out that way - just leave your bike opposite the cafe against the fence - perfectly safe. I've never seen a club rider lock a bike yet - a bit of common sense and you'll be fine.
  • WOW ta guys, now thats what I call a quick reply :wink:
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    stevewj wrote:
    I don't. Used to do it every sat and sun for three years then got into testing. Now do most of my riding solo - out the door on sun at 9, back for 12, no stop, no cafe, my own pace, no waiting for other peeps punctures - brill.

Not quite as socialable as a club ride though eh, that's the point of the cafe stop and 2 a breast riding, but then each to their own eh.

I like to find time for both, social rides with my club mates and more targetted training at my own pace.

Planned to ride on the club ride for an hour or so today before turning off on my own - company and the crack was that good, i stuck with the club ride and enjoyed every minute. Sometimes some company and a bit of banter on a Sunday is what riding a bike is all about.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    when I go with the club we stop, but I don't like to stop, so no longer ride with the club. just go for a ride, at my own at my choice of start time, pace and distance, plus stopping at this time of the year you get cold again.
  • Sorry to resurrect this old thread again but I'm a bit confused as to exactly where the Ice cream farm is and I need to know before the w/e as i've got a ride on to the farm.

Look at the Ice Cream Farm weby and tell me which map (postcode) is right please

http://www.cheshirefarmicecream.co.uk/howtofindus.html

Ta in advance
  • on the road
    It's here
  • cougie
    Plenty of road signs to follow to the Ice Cream Factory. General Area would be close enough.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    dont forget Coed Llandegla Mountain Bike Centre.
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    and there is a very nice "hidden" cafe in Ruthin - It has real Coffee and makes a good place to get your legs together before climbing the penbarras or New Bwlch.

I am not 100% sure of the name of the place but its next door to the cycle shop - there is always a Lavvazza Coffee Sign just near the entrance - If I remember Correctly it could be off Mill Street
    cartoon.jpg