Cateye lights grrrr

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Ordered a load of stuff at xmas and finally got round to putting my front and rear cateye lights on, only to find neither of the clamps fit

on the seat post with the plastic spacer it wont do up and without is too loose, i have oversize bars so the front is nowhere near to fitting

do i have to spend more money getting the flex tight bracket cos cateye give such poor brackets??

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Cateye are rubbish, if you get them to fit there is a reasonable chance that they will fall off and go under a car some time. Can you send them back and get something else?
  • andy83
    packaging has been wrecked as it was cold when i was attaching them and heavy handed with the boxes lol

they werent a lot of money really so not sure its worth the hassle of sending them back, not sure wiggle will accept the reason that "they dont fit my bike" when they sell the other brackets lol

i suppose its a lesson learnt. to be honest my commute isnt that long and only about a mile not on a main road so spose the lights i have will do

any other decent make that aint a ridiculous price, saving for new bike so dont fany spending £100s on new lights
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Wiggle are surprisingly good about returns, though as you say it may not be worth the bother.

I use a Fenix L2D CE Q5 with Lockblock mount for the front and a Smart Superflash 1/2 watt for the rear (Wiggle currently have these for about £7 which is half price!!).
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    andy83 wrote:
    Ordered a load of stuff at xmas and finally got round to putting my front and rear cateye lights on, only to find neither of the clamps fit

on the seat post with the plastic spacer it wont do up and without is too loose, i have oversize bars so the front is nowhere near to fitting

do i have to spend more money getting the flex tight bracket cos cateye give such poor brackets??

Funnily enough today I took the front cateye (whose bracket had partly broken and was making it rattle) off my good bike and replaced it with a smart. BUT:

1. I have oversize bars and the cateye mount fit fine - it's only 5 or 6 months old but I guess they might have redesigned them since I bought mine?

2. Ditto the rear one, and I have a fairly wide seatpost. You sure you're not getting something confused?

Sorry to sound cynical but whatever problems people have had with cateyes, they should at least fit.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cateye do sell spare clamps - so you could do that. Try an offcut of innertube for the loose one ? Or Insulation tape ?
  • andy83
    ok was my mistake for rear one, must have been tired when trying to fit lol

front definitely wont fit on front bars, but after problem with front mech decided to take off shifter as mech was snapped and fitted light where mech used to be, so at least all is not wasted :D