Recovery drinks? Or not?

2»

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    RichA wrote:
    I usally (currently) have 24 hrs between workout.

This week my schedule is:
    M: Rest
    T: 18:00 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    W: 07:30 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    T: 07:30 > 45 mins spin class
    F: 07:30 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    S: 11:00 > 90 mins ride
    S: 09:00 > 180 mins ride
    Total: 7.5hrs

But in a few weeks my training schedule will be move towards 10+ hrs per week and some days expect to do workouts both am & pm.

The problem with solely having a recovery drink is that you don't get the sensation of having eaten breakfast. So whilst you may have consumed the right nutrients you still crave something to eat.

Honestly that amount/intensity of training does not justify any time worrying about recovery eating/drinking, especially if you still crave something to eat afterwards, especially especially if a bigger goal is to lose weight. Part of the challenge of training is sorting out the wood from the trees and focussing attention on what's essential.

If you ever hit the point that you can't complete a target workout and you honestly feel thats because you haven't had a recovery bite then,if it happens again and again, start to worry about it.

Until then there's no point trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    bahzob wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    I usally (currently) have 24 hrs between workout.

This week my schedule is:
    M: Rest
    T: 18:00 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    W: 07:30 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    T: 07:30 > 45 mins spin class
    F: 07:30 > 45 mins gym (bike & cross trainer)
    S: 11:00 > 90 mins ride
    S: 09:00 > 180 mins ride
    Total: 7.5hrs

But in a few weeks my training schedule will be move towards 10+ hrs per week and some days expect to do workouts both am & pm.

The problem with solely having a recovery drink is that you don't get the sensation of having eaten breakfast. So whilst you may have consumed the right nutrients you still crave something to eat.

Honestly that amount/intensity of training does not justify any time worrying about recovery eating/drinking, especially if you still crave something to eat afterwards, especially especially if a bigger goal is to lose weight. Part of the challenge of training is sorting out the wood from the trees and focussing attention on what's essential.

If you ever hit the point that you can't complete a target workout and you honestly feel thats because you haven't had a recovery bite then,if it happens again and again, start to worry about it.

Until then there's no point trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it (so +1 on that!), but I would still spend the time to think about smart eating that will support your training regime. That should be perfectly compatible with your weight loss goals. Seems to me that what you're doing already should be fine.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • For me, I definitely use recovery drinks.

Sometimes I'll use off-the-shelf, purpose engineered sports recovery drinks - SiS, Torq etc. I'll use my protein powders (I also lift weights, I am no dedicated cyclist I'd like to point out) if it's been a particularly hard ride.

Obviously, as it's pointed out ALOT, recovery drinks and such products supplement diet, not totally structure it.

Chaz.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • I always use recovery drinks after long rides.

The recovery regime I use is:

1. Cool down. Use a low gear to lower your heart rate to a relaxed rate

2. Drink a lot of fluids - water and electrolyte drinks.

3. Carb up. Very important to mantain energy.

4. Eat protein, as muscle cells are burnt during trainning and protein helps rebuild them.
  • There's a lot of useful detailed comment in the thread but fundamentally your weight loss is very aggressive (10lb in 4 weeks to 02 February=2.5lb per week and a plan of 2lb per week). The lack of fuel will make it very hard to train effectively. 10 hours is also not very much training depending on what you're doing in the gym and how hard you're riding. I'd expect more like 200-300km a week and a couple of gym sessions of light weights and core.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    RichA wrote:
    Invested in some Quaker Oatso Simple.
    This stuff, Ready Brek etc while good are not as good as the real thing. Porridge oats are much cheaper (including organic), less processed and you can still microwave a bowl in 3 or 4 minutes. Just add a pinch of salt and the water. 2 cups of water & 1 cup of oats makes a decent sized bowl.

If I get peckish a short time after riding to work I'll have a small dish of homemade muesli - oats, barley flakes, dried apricot pieces, raisins, sunflower seeds and nuts. Sometimes toasted wheatflakes to add flavour. Let it soak in water or milk for a while so the flakes puff up a little. I mix it in bulk and take small amounts with me. Commercial muesli is invariably sweetened and padded out with cheap ingredients.

I agree with much of Gavin Gilbert's advice. The less processed stuff and more fruit and veg (plus nuts, pulses) you eat the better. Too many people use supplements instead of getting the basics right. I think there's some benefit from recovery products after particularly intensive workouts but less so for general activity. If you search the forums you should find some info about homemade shakes using whey protein bought in large quantities etc.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.