Copenhagen Track World Cup

Eddy S
Eddy S Posts: 1,013
edited February 2009 in Track
For anybody that wants to follow proceedings for the next 3 days:

Latest results are available here: http://www.tissottiming.com/sports/cycling/track/classics2009_copenhagen/index.htm

And BC is running a live updates page - follow the link from here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/gbr/EventReports2009/20090213_Hub_Copenhagen_TCWC.asp
I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.

Comments

• Phinney just rode 4'15" high. Remarkable ride.

Seems that Boardman's 4'11" in legal position could go in the next half dozen years. Exponential improvement to the WR though.

The "real" WR would probably have been the 2007 World Champs finals when Wiggins was passing the rider, may have been Markov, in the gold medal round. His qualifiying is the fastest I believe as recorded, in the legal position, 4'15" low.
  • Eddy S
    A stunning ride by Mini Phinney in qualifying and he went on to win the gold.

And a really fabulous start for the GB squad too – 3 golds, 1 bronze and 3 World Cup winners jerseys! 8)

What a shame the BBC pulled this from the Interactive schedule :(
  • err, it was 4'15" low. Chapeau.

And will anyone put the brakes on his nickname. Never heard a worse sobriquet. May as well call him Gumby. So stooopid.

Apart from that, talent manifest. I think he will push the WR to below 4'10" by the end of the next decade. He will only have til Chicago I reckon, then he will lose the power by focusing on his 260km Roubaix legs.
  • I think the Polish worlds will be a gangbuster if the track is fast. Phinney, Bobridge, and I assume Thomas.

I think Thomas and Phinney might go into the low 4'14", perhaps even faster, and Bobridge won't be far behind them. It will be F A S T.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Armitstead............. very very exciting talent. Who was the last really talented British female track bunch race rider? (Who won consistently.)

Ruth
  • Eddy S
    And will anyone put the brakes on his nickname. Never heard a worse sobriquet. May as well call him Gumby. So stooopid.
    I really don’t understand what your issue is. You’re more then welcome to get indignant of TP’s behalf but he seems pretty cool about it as he even uses the nickname as his forum user ID on a certain track forum. If you know anything about his family history maybe you’ll understand why folks adopted the name for him.

TP rides the Kilo today – now, that’s going to be interesting.
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Armitstead............. very very exciting talent. Who was the last really talented British female track bunch race rider? (Who won consistently.)

Ruth
    Hi Ruth. Where have you been hiding? 8) And as to your question, I think it was Yvonne Macgregor but most of the past womens track success has been in IP. I'll gladly stand corrected though.

The women’s endurance squad has had a great track season with Lizzie Armitstead having 3 wins out of 3 starts in the Scratch. Looking good for the World Champs...
  • Eddy S wrote:
    I really don’t understand what your issue is. You’re more then welcome to get indignant of TP’s behalf but he seems pretty cool about it as he even uses the nickname as his forum user ID on a certain track forum. If you know anything about his family history maybe you’ll understand why folks adopted the name for him.

TP rides the Kilo today – now, that’s going to be interesting..

been to FGF, but last time I registered, they never sent thru the damn activation.

The guy is a phenomenal talent. How much more complimentary could I be. The MP opinion will stand. Ain't changing. How does that make a difference. I have a personal opinion, that, from an aesthetical opinion and other, it is a lame name.

Does that change it, or make me a "hater". Come on. I know the history of Carpenter and his old man's disease too. But Teylor Phinney is a phenomenal cyclist. That is my opinon. You think he uses it because he gave it to himself, so be it, my opinion still stands. I assume it was forum chatter, or someone like Towle who gave it to him. And then it grew momentum. So it probably was not him.

The scary thing is, he says it was a slow track.

Times do bear that out.

Back in Manchester Clancy went 18", and went 24" here. I think Hayles, Clancy, Burke and Thomas rode 3'58" to qualify, in Manchester, and here they swapped out Thomas for Peter Kennaugh. I would assume that to be a maximum of 4 seconds difference in qualifying. And the went 4'04" is qualifying today, I think. After just checking tissottiming.

The Manchester 4 were on time to beat the Manchester record, which is 3'55" I believe, in the final there, but were disrupted by the catch.

So the track is probably 2 to 3 seconds slow.

How fast is Poland. If it is fast, TP could knock a time out of the water. No matter what his nickname is, that is REALLY inconsequential one forumcowboy (me) and their opinion on the nick.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Eddy S wrote:
    Hi Ruth. Where have you been hiding? 8) And as to your question, I think it was Yvonne Macgregor but most of the past womens track success has been in IP. I'll gladly stand corrected though.

The women’s endurance squad has had a great track season with Lizzie Armitstead having 3 wins out of 3 starts in the Scratch. Looking good for the World Champs...
    Hi Eddy, I've just been lazy with the scroll bar and not got down as far as 'Track' for a while. It is an awfully long way down the page, no wonder the place is a ghost town. :(

AFAIK Yvonne Macgregor would never have called herself a track bunch rider - didn't she win a points race once by riding off the front because she was so scared of being amongst the wheels......... and the rest never caught her? I'm not sure she won any others did she? And she freely admits she never had a sprint. I'm not very clued up on who was racing in the '80s and '90s, but I can't think of any previous world class women in these events.

I see that Katie Colclough got silver in the Points today too - we haven't just got one good young female for the scratch and points.......... quite remarkable. It's the only area of track racing we haven't dominated - yet - but it seems that might change! :D

Ruth
  • wow. Phinney just rode 1'01.641"

http://www.tissottiming.com/sports/cycl ... esults.pdf

I think the kid just gotta ditch the nick. No way that is mini. That is ridiculous.

If you see the splits, there is probably a good chance he could break the 1km WR held by Tournand. 58.875 is the WR. I don't want to put too much expectation on this kid (like my opinion means jack shit) but he could hold the 1km and the 4km WR in the next 6 years. The only potential hindrance is the impending road career, and riding 1km and 4km. Holding the power.

Interesting, Tom Steels and Tom Boonen were both 1km riders on the track.
  • also, Clancy regularly pulls a 1'02". And he is the best pick-up rider for the teams. And one young Australian guy, Tom Palmer, rode a 1'02" when he was 16/17 as a first year jnr (u19) at the World Track Champs in Mexico last year. Altitude but concrete outdoors.

In that perspective, it is not too impressive.

But coupled with the 4km, this time, boggles the mind. Chapeau Phinney. Onto Roubaix young buck.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14022009/ ... hagen.html

I recall there being some 'bad blood' on the part of Kevin Sireau in the case of Chris Hoy
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Sireau is handy with his left arm, elbow!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/pictur ... ml?image=1
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Was a bit surprised to see Vicky P come last in the kierin final having won the sprint competition. Tired legs maybe?
  • Eddy S
    Bronzie wrote:
    Was a bit surprised to see Vicky P come last in the kierin final having won the sprint competition. Tired legs maybe?
    I had read a comment somewhere attributing it to jet-lag (post the Oz training camp) but this Guardian article gives a different insight.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The GB track boys are going to have their work cut out in dealing with Phinney over 1 km and 4 km. If Brad fancies another gold in London for the 4 k pursuit he'll have to be outstanding.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Read his autobiog.

Brad thinks he is outstanding, that he's made the IP his own over the last 5 years and no-one's come close to challenging him.

He says that he'd welcome some closer competition as it would make him up his game and make it interesting.

Well, looks like we're going to see !