Stem, anyone?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
I've just been rooting around a cupboard and re-found my incredible collection of stems.

Anyone need a stem?

They are:

- 2x FSA OS-115, 110mm, -17 degrees, alu faceplate (faceplate and faceplate bolt heads are a bit grubby). These two have a couple of small scratches. 156g
- 1x FSA OS-115, 90mm, -17 degrees, carbon faceplate. I've used the stems but not the faceplates. The stems look new though. 144g [now gone]
- 1x FSA OS-140, 90mm, +/-6 degrees, carbon faceplate. Stem has some minor marks. Faceplate is unused. 180g [now gone]

All for a 31.8mm handlebar

The OS-115 110mm: £10 each. The rest: £15 each.

If there are any takers, I'll take them in the order they post in this thread; then I'll move the enquiry to PM.

Roll up, roll up ...

EDIT: amended to reflect current market conditions...
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Damn I just bought a FSA 140 120mm although it does stretch my tiny tyrannosaurus reach a little.

3274764656_af0b484187.jpg

See
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd be interested in one or the other of the 90mm ones but need to check my bike for compatibility first, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Greg in the spirit of Off Topic, and that I trust your opinion of such matter, does the geometry of the Dolan CX look a little, well short!

The top tube is tiny hence the long stem likewise the head tube is so small I've had to have over 50mm of spacers.

This is a 54cm frame I'm, usually a 56cm but thought it would be safer with a little more stand over and saddle clearance.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • *goes to look for a micrometer*

Is 31.8 a normal diameter for drop bars? I could use a shorter 90mm stem on the bowery, it has those bars with the thicker bit in the middle...

Damn my complete lack of technical knowledge. Sign me up for a 90mm one, the +/- 6 one if it's not already taken, pending my finding out if it'll fit.

Trying to raise funds for a cervelo? :twisted:
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    edited February 2009
    *goes to look for a micrometer*

Is 31.8 a normal diameter for drop bars? I could use a shorter 90mm stem on the bowery, it has those bars with the thicker bit in the middle...

Damn my complete lack of technical knowledge. Sign me up for a 90mm one, the +/- 6 one if it's not already taken, pending my finding out if it'll fit.

Trying to raise funds for a cervelo? :twisted:

26mm is still 'standard' but 31.8 is becoming more common. My 2008 Giant SCR came with a 26mm stem. I think the top of the range Giants like the SCR-C and TCR use 31.8mm stems. I think yours will be 26mm too.

Pedro

Edit:

26mm
    63638548d77d6f6852dd98a3d0928dbf9f08cdf6c20dc61a66a9862016eba5fe28a40b80.jpg

057511946e791c483cf817fbe70550397c09ac1dde262dd0ced00c95f754fe086b3faa27.jpg

Don't ask me how they compare, because I haven't ridden the Giant since making the switch :?
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • itboffin wrote:
    Greg in the spirit of Off Topic, and that I trust your opinion of such matter, does the geometry of the Dolan CX look a little, well short!

The top tube is tiny hence the long stem likewise the head tube is so small I've had to have over 50mm of spacers.

This is a 54cm frame I'm, usually a 56cm but thought it would be safer with a little more stand over and saddle clearance.

You've got a lot of layback on the seatpost, and a long stem (compensating for the short top tube) and a lot of spacers with what looks like a +17 stem (compensating for the short head tube). Sure a 54 is the right size?

What would be more use is to see a photo from that angle with you on it. Foot closest the camera at the bottom of the pedal travel please. Whatever the geometry of the bike is, let's see how well it fits you...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • it has those bars with the thicker bit in the middle...

That usually means they are 31.8 at the contact point with the stem.

And every little ££ helps! :oops:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You've got a lot of layback on the seatpost, and a long stem (compensating for the short top tube) and a lot of spacers with what looks like a +17 stem (compensating for the short head tube). Sure a 54 is the right size?

What would be more use is to see a photo from that angle with you on it. Foot closest the camera at the bottom of the pedal travel please. Whatever the geometry of the bike is, let's see how well it fits you...

Will try when Mrs ITB returns home from work although she is already suspicions of my strange lycra wearing laughing out load at my computer behaviour asking her to take photos of me on my bikes so I can upload them to people of the Internet might have her reaching for the phone :shock: :lol:

As for frame size I ride a 17" & 19" on my MTB & hybrid you really wouldn't want to be too close to the TT in a crash, I figured CX would be a balance of road and off road sizing.

@LiT's - 31.8 is or was referred to a Oversized but as already mentioned is now more commonly the standard.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Will try when Mrs ITB returns home from work although she is already suspicions of my strange lycra wearing laughing out load at my computer behaviour asking her to take photos of me on my bikes so I can upload them to people of the Internet might have her reaching for the phone :shock: :lol:

As for frame size I ride a 17" & 19" on my MTB & hybrid you really wouldn't want to be too close to the TT in a crash, I figured CX would be a balance of road and off road sizing.

@LiT's - 31.8 is or was referred to a Oversized but as already mentioned is now more commonly the standard.

Reminds me of when my sister caught me in front of my bike with camera and tripod:

Her: "What the hell are you doing?"
    Me: "Taking photo's of my bike"
    Her: "What on earth for"
    Me: "To post on the internet"
    Her: :roll:

:oops:
  • itboffin
    :lol:

See that's what I mean, laughing out loud, coffee all over the table, lucky no one saw me.

Jash please tell me you weren't naked at the time :roll:
  • Greg66 wrote:
    it has those bars with the thicker bit in the middle...

That usually means they are 31.8 at the contact point with the stem.

And every little ££ helps! :oops:

Both standard and oversize bars have a buldge/reinforcement sleeve in the middle - oversized are meant to be stiffer. It is only the central buldge/sleeve that is different in size and you can always get a shim to fit the standard bars to an oversized stem.
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I bought a 31.8 90mm stem for the Trek and the Trek's got a 26mm bar, doh. So if anyone has a 90mm alu stem for 26mm bars do let me know...
  • Greg66 wrote:
    - 2x FSA OS-115, 90mm, -17 degrees, carbon faceplate. I've used the stems but not the faceplates. The stems look new though. 144g

I'd be interested in one of these if possible, have just got myself a Giant Defy 2.5 in XL, and would like to try a slightly shorter stem
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • itboffin
    Unable to take pics today as we have house guests and I don't want to freak them out but I have noticed that my SS is by far the most comfortable bike I own is there some way I can measure the SS and apply those to the rest of my fleet?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    biondino wrote:
    I bought a 31.8 90mm stem for the Trek and the Trek's got a 26mm bar, doh. So if anyone has a 90mm alu stem for 26mm bars do let me know...
    Would a 100mm be any good, or does it have to be 90? Got a 100mm Ritchey Comp lying unused.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    biondino wrote:

I have an ITM Racer -/+6deg 26.0mm 90mm stem that I took off a bike just yesterday.........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • And it transpires that my Bowery does in fact have 31.8mm bars! Hurrah!

So, if the 90mm 6 degree one is still going, I'll take it. Also if one of the 90mm 17 degree ones is still available I'll have that too. I need to do some stem experimentation and this is a cheap and cheerful way to do so!
  • Done. I'll pm.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Thanks Redddragon and whyamihere - I need to figure out if I'm going to change my big, heavy bars (I'd like to but I don't feel up to the job myself - shifters, bar tape etc.) before buying a stem. But I'll be in touch if I decide not to!
  • itboffin
    Whilst we're all talking stems, I've seen many references to the forearm length and stem length, sighting the bar along the axle and on and on so forth, is there a method of measuring this fit? or should you just ride the bike in different combinations until it feels right?

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/bl ... fish-h.htm