Bad Bike shops - lets start with dave hinde

kellys_heroes
kellys_heroes Posts: 88
edited December 2012 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone else bought anything from this shop.it has to have the worst customer relations in britain,maybe you guys have dealt with some other`s.i called today regarding pedals that i bought on ebay and the charge was for £6 1st class recorded delivery - ordered them on tuesday 4 days later still no pedals.called the shop and the guy blamed me and said who else orders 5 days before christmas ?? well i said i ordered from prendas in bournemouth on thursday afternoon and got my parcel next day...he said take it up with royal mail its not our fault..you can expect to wait 14 days yes 14 days for a delivery 1st class ...load of BULL%$£* i said and he slammed the phone down......this is one shop you should stay away from..

Comments

• rich r
    rich r Posts: 25
    I think 14 days is the time Royal Mail insist you wait before the shop can take up a non-delivery time with them ?.

I ordered 2 packages from wiggle a week or so ago, both despatched royal mail same day. One took 1 day to arrive, one 5 days to arrive. In my case, I just feel that these things happen at xmas.
  • Has anyone else bought anything from this shop.it has to have the worst customer relations in britain,maybe you guys have dealt with some other`s.i called today regarding pedals that i bought on ebay and the charge was for £6 1st class recorded delivery - ordered them on tuesday 4 days later still no pedals.called the shop and the guy blamed me and said who else orders 5 days before christmas ?? well i said i ordered from prendas in bournemouth on thursday afternoon and got my parcel next day...he said take it up with royal mail its not our fault..you can expect to wait 14 days yes 14 days for a delivery 1st class ...load of BULL%$£* i said and he slammed the phone down......this is one shop you should stay away from..

There's been a thousand complaints about this character on here and other places - just google him to see. Sorry you didn't know beforehand - but thanks for the warning anyhow. If it's any consolation, it seems you are just one of many!
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • mba007
    mba007 Posts: 95
    Having suffered extremely variable delivery delays over the years (and not just at Christmas) I fear you are being too harsh on the shop. Now if he'd said, ooops I haven't sent it yet then you have every right to complain and accuse him of talking BULL%$£*. But, as it is, it seems likely that Royal Mail is at fault and that he's kept his end of the bargain.
  • mba007 wrote:
    Having suffered extremely variable delivery delays over the years (and not just at Christmas) I fear you are being too harsh on the shop. Now if he'd said, ooops I haven't sent it yet then you have every right to complain and accuse him of talking BULL%$£*. But, as it is, it seems likely that Royal Mail is at fault and that he's kept his end of the bargain.

I refer the hourable gentleman to the following:

clicky
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Sigma Sport of Kingston, dont get me started!
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Its annoying and very inconvenient but the truth is once posted the shop is no longer responsible for delivery. Whatever else the shop may or may not have done ,in this instance I think they are simply guilty of being rude on the phone which is very poor customer relations. However that said we do not know in what tone you spoke to them do we. !....

not guilty say I

Hope you get your stuff soon anyway :wink:
  • if you believe dave hinde when he says hes posted an item then you must be as soft as fupp-the guys a complete gobshyte!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    peanut wrote:
    Its annoying and very inconvenient but the truth is once posted the shop is no longer responsible for delivery. Whatever else the shop may or may not have done ,in this instance I think they are simply guilty of being rude on the phone which is very poor customer relations. However that said we do not know in what tone you spoke to them do we. !....

not guilty say I

Hope you get your stuff soon anyway :wink:

however, they initiated the contract with royal fail or whoever

until its in your hands then its the other company (the one you ordered from) providing and responsible

like argos is responsible for your broke tv, you bought it from argos, so its argos you go talk to.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Gypsies
    Gypsies Posts: 403
    How this cunt is still in business fuckin amazes me
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Slightly OT...

I dealt with a complaint on Monday.

We have a patient marked "urgent" by his Consultant. So on recieving the request on Frday, appointed them for late this week.

As the chances of posting a letter on Friday and getting to the patient before the appointment are nil, Reception phoned the patient to let them know......

The patient has now complained that he was disturbed at home by us phoning him, and demanding to know why we didn't post details!

The patient assures us that if we had posted it on Friday Afternoon it would have been with him by 10:00 the following day!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • For the sake of some balance I thought I’d post my own experience of buying from Dave Hinde. I went to Dave after a friend bought a bike from him in January, and recommended the shop. Initially I was fitted for the bike, sitting on a stationary frame variable in all the necessary dimensions. Dave estimated it would take 3 weeks to build the bike, with the frame being made in Italy to the size and angles directly from the fitting process. The greatest risk to the time was because I was ordering Super Record 11 the supply of which was a little slow. One week in, after some time playing around with cassette/crank ratios in Excel, I called and requested a change to the cassette and crank. Despite this I was pleased to take receipt today of a fully fitted out 7.9 frame with super Record 11, 16 days after ordering. I think this is more than reasonable. On receipt of the bike, Dave attached my pedals and helped me find the optimal seat height.
    The whole buying experience was simple and quick. I called for an update on two occasions and both times staff were helpful and courteous. Before my friend’s recommendation, the comments on this site were all I knew of him. So in my experience there is no reason not to buy a bike from Dave Hinde!

Rama

“If you’re on ten, where can you go from there? Where? If you need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Eleven, exactly! These go to eleven!”
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You can only speak as you find Ramador, but hundreds (maybe thousands) have found this to be the worst bike shop ever.

Blaming the Royal Mail (which I find incredibly reliable) is a very frequent tactic of his, yet he even has an Advertising Standards Authority adjudication against him for advertising goods he doesn't have. I would suggest the "blame Royal Mail" ploy indicates that he is still doing this. He is also known for selling used items as new, for advertising incorrect bike weights (maybe check the weight of yours Ramador, you may not have what you think you bought), for being extremely offensive and libellous to his ebay customers (calling them such things as "thieving lying scum"), and has had to relaunch his ebay operation under a new name (fastpartsforbikes) in an attempt to escape the dreadful feedback record he has.

With all the choice of bike shops there is no reason on earth to risk a Dave Hinde customer service experience.
  • Cycles Dauphin on Box Hill - not a patch on when it was Dauphin Sport (Tony Mill's shop) a few years ago! :evil:
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    alfablue wrote:
    You can only speak as you find Ramador, but hundreds (maybe thousands) have found this to be the worst bike shop ever.

Blaming the Royal Mail (which I find incredibly reliable) is a very frequent tactic of his, yet he even has an Advertising Standards Authority adjudication against him for advertising goods he doesn't have. I would suggest the "blame Royal Mail" ploy indicates that he is still doing this. He is also known for selling used items as new, for advertising incorrect bike weights (maybe check the weight of yours Ramador, you may not have what you think you bought), for being extremely offensive and libellous to his ebay customers (calling them such things as "thieving lying scum"), and has had to relaunch his ebay operation under a new name (fastpartsforbikes) in an attempt to escape the dreadful feedback record he has.

With all the choice of bike shops there is no reason on earth to risk a Dave Hinde customer service experience.

Maybe he's relaunched his userid on here as well. A single post from ramador which resurrects a dead thread to offer a peerless example of praise. Sorry, I'm suspicious.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Yes you're suspicious. As Pedylan said I've written as I found, since the comments above are so different to my own experience. I've posted on here as it's the first item that comes up when you Google Dave Hinde, and had I taken all of your advice I would have bought elsewhere. I have no idea what the post is like I collected my bike myself. But at least someone who reads this forum now can read about a different experience than you had.

I think we've all made our points, yours still stand. Let's move on and go ride while the sun's shining.
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    ramador wrote:
    Yes you're suspicious. As Pedylan said I've written as I found, since the comments above are so different to my own experience. I've posted on here as it's the first item that comes up when you Google Dave Hinde, and had I taken all of your advice I would have bought elsewhere. I have no idea what the post is like I collected my bike myself. But at least someone who reads this forum now can read about a different experience than you had.

I think we've all made our points, yours still stand. Let's move on and go ride while the sun's shining.

I have to say buying anything from Dave Hinde would seem foolhardy in the extreme given the content of this thread and many others.....there's no excuse for abusing your customers. Not wishing to sound cynical :wink: but perhaps the fact that you were spending a ton of cash in his shop brought out the best in him??
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I had to go through an ebay fraud claim to get some of my money back from Dave Hinde - avoid him like the plague it isn't just incompetence there it's blatant dishonesty.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I am the friend that recommended Ramador purchase a bike from Dave Hinde and my recommendation was from another happy customer. When I told Ramador I was buying a bike from Dave Hinde the first thing he did was Google it, and then questioned my purchase based on the negative feedback on these sorts of Forums. Luckily for us we didn't take much notice of the silly negative comments and consequently both of us have ended up with excellent bikes. Let’s face it if the only thing that turns you on is ebay and negative comments I don't think I would want to do business with you or value your opinion. My view is if you are not happy with the service then don't go back. I will be going back to Dave Hinde and continue to recommend his bikes to others.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    :? Well someone seems to be going for a ride, I'm sorry but I just suspect that they are taking others with them. You don't get the reputation that this shop gets without earning it & then some.
  • joe1983
    joe1983 Posts: 440
    hmm, two people both with no previous posts both bigging up Mr Hinde, many other people who post regularly have exactly the opposite experience.
  • I had to go through an ebay fraud claim to get some of my money back from Dave Hinde - avoid him like the plague it isn't just incompetence there it's blatant dishonesty.

Be careful how you phrase things my owd, with statements like that you're leaving yourself open to legal action I would guess.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • NaB
    joe1983 wrote:
    hmm, two people both with no previous posts both bigging up Mr Hinde, many other people who post regularly have exactly the opposite experience.

Agreed and where is the explanation for the abusive feedback...which is a wholly separate issue to whether these two guys had a happy expreience. It seems to me that its just sheer bloody mindedness to ignore all the negative experiences that have been elaborated on the various threads....I salute them for being willing to chance their hard earned cash on a much maligned retailer...its not something I would be prepared to do :shock:
  • Back from my ride now.

The worst thing about forums is how the clique of regulars treat newbies.

We can learn from history but shouldn't be a slave to it.

I'll be riding many of the longer sportives in the UK this year, so if you see a six foot blond on a shiny new Dave Hinde bike on one of these rides, do come over and tell me how bloody minded I am.
  • NaB
    I don't think anyone on here is saying anything that couldn't be classed as fair comment..its not wrong to debate a viewpoint. How can it be right for any shop to post the kind of feedback that has been quoted on this thread and the others?? :?

I'm no forum regular either...
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I'm amazed we've got this far down the thread without anyone mentioning Winstanleys - do a search for them on here (and elsewhere) and you will find a lot of ordinary cyclists with tales of disappointment.

The customer "service" there is either incompetent or dishonest. I don't know or care which, to be honest, either way it is completely unsatisfactory.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• alfablue
    I had to go through an ebay fraud claim to get some of my money back from Dave Hinde - avoid him like the plague it isn't just incompetence there it's blatant dishonesty.

Be careful how you phrase things my owd, with statements like that you're leaving yourself open to legal action I would guess.
    There could only be legal action if the statement was libellous, if it is true and in the public interest then it isn't libellous. I suspect it would be both.
  • Reading the posts on this thread only reinforces my beliefin supporting your LBS (if it's any good) even if it costs a bit more. :)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • NaB
    Reading the posts on this thread only reinforces my beliefin supporting your LBS (if it's any good) even if it costs a bit more. :)

Exactly I couldn't agree more. Though I think mail order can be fine....have bought a lot from Dotbike/Wiggle/Chain Reaction/Geoffrey Butler...cost is an issue these days..I should know I'm skint and its at least two weeks until payday! :(
  • alfablue
    edited February 2009
    Keebbjep wrote:
    I am the friend that recommended Ramador purchase a bike from Dave Hinde and my recommendation was from another happy customer. When I told Ramador I was buying a bike from Dave Hinde the first thing he did was Google it, and then questioned my purchase based on the negative feedback on these sorts of Forums. Luckily for us we didn't take much notice of the silly negative comments and consequently both of us have ended up with excellent bikes. Let’s face it if the only thing that turns you on is ebay and negative comments I don't think I would want to do business with you or value your opinion. My view is if you are not happy with the service then don't go back. I will be going back to Dave Hinde and continue to recommend his bikes to others.
    DAve Hinde left about 140 feedbacks for others on eBay along these lines hinde1.jpg
    Remember, this is what HE left for others - you may wish to disregard such things, but do you really want to deal with a person like this? Even if he is as nice as pie face to face, this is how he is once he gets to the back office.

Interestingly ( :shock: ) eBay removed the last two feedbacks he left, just before he ceased trading as Number1bikebits (and became fastpartsforbikes).

To see the whole glorious collection, look here.

His ASA adjudication:

hinde2.jpg

You may be happy with the service you received, but in all conscience, can you really recommend him to others knowing this is how he has behaved?????????????? You can't pretend this doesn't exist.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Keebbjep wrote:
    I am the friend that recommended Ramador purchase a bike from Dave Hinde and my recommendation was from another happy customer. When I told Ramador I was buying a bike from Dave Hinde the first thing he did was Google it, and then questioned my purchase based on the negative feedback on these sorts of Forums. Luckily for us we didn't take much notice of the silly negative comments and consequently both of us have ended up with excellent bikes. Let’s face it if the only thing that turns you on is ebay and negative comments I don't think I would want to do business with you or value your opinion. My view is if you are not happy with the service then don't go back. I will be going back to Dave Hinde and continue to recommend his bikes to others.

This should make us even more suspicious.It is his one and only post.Let`s see if keepjeb and ramador ever post on anything else or just disappear.These guys are clearly phoneys.
    Smarter than the average bear.