Rollers v Turbo Trainers

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Been knocking off some miles in the kitchen these last few days on a set of rollers, rather than going nose-first into the snow down the lanes round here. Apart from the business of not balancing, what would a turbo trainer provide that 10 miles + a bit of spinning in the kitchen on the rollers doesn't? Is there a big difference between the two items in terms of what the rider gets out of it?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Turbos are better for ramping up the resistance and doing flat out intervals on that could be harder to do on rollers.
  • Have had rollers for 5 month, never tried turbo trainer, but a friend bought one at the same time I got my rollers. Both of us have seen improvements in our fitness and stamina. While his strength has improved more than mine, my technique and cadence are better than ever while his are worse.

Rollers are usually cheaper (unless you buy the fancy new ones with variable resistance), and you don't need to change your tyre/s to use them - so if you have 1 bike and decide you can't face another miserable winter ride it takes seconds to set things up instead of venturing out.

I'm tempted to get a turbo trainer for next winter, but would mix sessions up and not rely solely on one or the other. But, if I had the choice again I think I'd still buy rollers first.

That said, both are really boring...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    u01akrg wrote:
    Have had rollers for 5 month, never tried turbo trainer, but a friend bought one at the same time I got my rollers. Both of us have seen improvements in our fitness and stamina. While his strength has improved more than mine, my technique and cadence are better than ever while his are worse.
    Interesting, and agree with what you say. I've found it easier to work on the cadence technique on the rollers. There a fewer obstacles in the kitchen than on the roads usually, small boys excepted.
    u01akrg wrote:
    Rollers are usually cheaper (unless you buy the fancy new ones with variable resistance), and you don't need to change your tyre/s to use them - so if you have 1 bike and decide you can't face another miserable winter ride it takes seconds to set things up instead of venturing out.
    Indeed. Life should be easy.
    u01akrg wrote:
    But watching Top Gear on Dave+1, or The News Quiz or Fighting Talk on Listen Again via the kitchen radio / mini FM xmitter on the PC passes the time, as does admiring the growing pool of perspiration that needs cleaning after the event.

Will stick with the rollers and hope for a sudden thaw, which looks to be happening today - blazing sunshine is the current weather report.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I find I get sore bits on the turbo if I don't keep altering position - don't get it on rollers.
    Boredom means I rarely do more than half hout on the turbo even if watching a film although I find fixed wheel easier (wierdly).
    Rollers much more fun and halp with balance also find it a lot easier mentally to push myself on rollers - on turbo find it too easy to give up if I can't get my HR up (main reason I do my intervals on the road where I can really push myself and end up thinking 'that was a really good session').
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    I have got both rollers and turbo, but find the rollers by far the best and more fun of the two to train on of an evening.
    Work late until 6pm, so never home until 7pm and have had to resort to training indoors during the week while it's winter.
    Did four hours on the rollers last Wednesday, but that was only because the Liverpool v Everton derby game went into extra time. KNew I shouldn't have watched a Tour de France DVd beforehand.
    Had to get Mrs Bombdogs to fetch me extra water to make the final whistle.
    Anyway, back to the point, I find rollers more fun that the turbo, so I guess if you enjoy something more then it helps training.
    Also, I have found my pedaling has become much more smoother than using the turbo. Guess that I am biased now, though.
  • rkdj
    rkdj Posts: 50
    bottom line is both rollers and turbo are soooooo boring. how about a few tips from others regarding how to alleviate the boredom. i cant get out at night due to work commitments until 8pm and its pitch dark where we stay.
    older, balder, faster, slimmer, better
  • how about a few tips from others regarding how to alleviate the boredom
    I've never ever found either boring.
    Tips - you're still riding your bike, so enjoy. You could be at work instead.
  • What works for me is having the same tunes that I listen to on the road, and replicating the same effort for whatever you want to focus on. For me its a mix of out of the saddle hill climbing and fast-ish efforts featuring 30 second sprints.
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    I've mentioned this on another post... Sorry to go on about it, but all you lot who say rollers and turbos are boring need to get on to The Sufferfest!!!

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

(And no, I'm not connected to the site in any way. Just a raving fan)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It`s still boring,and depressing,and soul destroying. :(I`d rather eat my own testicles than use my trainer again.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    I`d rather eat my own testicles than use my trainer again.

Would you like fries with that?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    u01akrg wrote:

+1 on the boring. about as exciting as a treadmill.

Dennis Noward
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I have a collection of Spinerval training DVDs for turbo training. Without them I have an attention span on the turbo of about 10 minutes but with them I have no problem staying focussed.