coughing fits after high intensity exercise

phil.a.b
phil.a.b Posts: 12
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all
Don't know it anyone has had same problem as me but have been mountain biking just over a year now & I have lost nearly 2 stone, but over the last 4-6 weeks my fitness seams to be getting worse, my maximum hrt rate is 193 but on hillclimb,if it goes above 170+ when I finish my ride, I get coughing fits & start wheezeing.this seems to last for 3-4days then goes. I gave up smoking just over 5 years ago but dont know if this is related. any ideas or sugestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Could be Asthma, get yourself off to the Doc's for a simple peak air flow test.
  • thanks for reply, I will do that,didn't think it could be that as I have not had any problem untill a few weeks ago.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I'd have thought the cold air has a lot to do with it.
  • I always have a coughing fit after cycling - or any exercise come to that. I'm not saying you're the same as me but the doc said it was 'exercise induced asthma' - which means I don't have it normally but when breathing hard under exertion it becomes apparent. I have a blue - salbutamol? - inhaler which I just use when I'm cycling/trekking. It's surprising how much a difference it makes!

Go to your doctor - you've given up smoking and taken up exercise so that has to be a good thing! Oh, and cold air makes it worse for asthmatics too, so early morning or late cycling at the moment might cause you more problems. Get checked out though.

Best of luck.
  • Could be a mild chest infection!? Has it gone away yet?

Could also be all that freezing cold air flowing into you lungs at a hell of a rate because it doesn't have enough time to warm up on the way down. Maybe try riding with a Buff ( http://www.buffwear.co.uk/ )over your mouth and nose. It helps me! Keeps you nice and snugg round the neck area too. They do one with a fleece on it too called a Cyclone Buff (More expensive than the normal ones tho)!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • i have asthma (only very mild) but the cold makes it alot worse after exercise, if you do have asthma it could be that
  • Thanks for all the replys, took your advice and went to the doctors & told that I have Asthma. he said it is 'exercise induced asthma' & prescribed me salbutamol, I went for a ride with a couple of friends last night & the difference they could not believe,(no more waiting for me at the top of the hills anymore ,I ended up waiting for them).I wear a buff but was finding that as my heartrate goes up it feels like I cant breath, so end up moving it away from my face. I cant wait for the weekend to get out again.
    thanks for all your replys.
  • weeksy59
    phil.a.b wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys, took your advice and went to the doctors & told that I have Asthma. he said it is 'exercise induced asthma' & prescribed me salbutamol, I went for a ride with a couple of friends last night & the difference they could not believe,(no more waiting for me at the top of the hills anymore ,I ended up waiting for them).I wear a buff but was finding that as my heartrate goes up it feels like I cant breath, so end up moving it away from my face. I cant wait for the weekend to get out again.

Good result then mate, nice one :)
  • weeksy59
    phil.a.b wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys, took your advice and went to the doctors & told that I have Asthma. he said it is 'exercise induced asthma' & prescribed me salbutamol, I went for a ride with a couple of friends last night & the difference they could not believe,(no more waiting for me at the top of the hills anymore ,I ended up waiting for them).I wear a buff but was finding that as my heartrate goes up it feels like I cant breath, so end up moving it away from my face. I cant wait for the weekend to get out again.

• weeksy59
    phil.a.b wrote: