Should commuting have it's own cake stop area?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Re ITB's complaint on the Scolari thread

Road and MTB both have their own Off Topic areas, should commuting also have one?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• No! Because then the banter would be divided. And I do so love the banter....
  • I thought the whole of Commuting was an off-topic area... :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    'xactly!
  • 'kin' 'ell! Bloody ITB, when he's not building wicker men to "welcome" new arrivals to the village, he's on here, fermenting discord and division.

String 'im up. That's what I say.

I had that Ulrika Johnson in the back of my cab once. Nice girl. Bendy. :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Having been around here for longer than I care to remember, I can remark how Commuting is now atomically identical to the way Cakestop was 4 years ago. The same way that Brick Lane is now atomically identical to the way Camden Market was 25 years ago.

It's weird how it feels so familiar and homely, and how at the same time I feel so old and out of place :?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If there was a separate area the actual "commuting" content of this bit of the siite would atrophy very quickly. This way, there's lots of dumb chat but also lots of genuine commuting discussion. I vote no.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Nah no point, like everyone says it's all just idle chit chat anyway.

Thats why I'm always on here :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Why isn't the Commuting forum under Road anyway ?
    How many people commute off-road ?

regards.jpgfrom.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Remove all the sh!t of commuting, and you don't have a commuting section worth looking at...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • What do you do with threads that start out perfectly reasonably, but succumb to non-cycling subversion?
  • Well, we're losing our touch. This is still on topic.

I tried ... :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Well, we're losing our touch. This is still on topic.

I've been meaning to say to you for a while Greg - one Cervelo is to be admired. Two Cervelos is simply unfair.

There has to be some good off topic mileage derived from having two of something you really ought to only need one of. Wives, for example.

Take it and run with it... you know you want to.
  • Greg66 wrote:

I've been meaning to say to you for a while Greg - one Cervelo is to be admired. Two Cervelos is simply unfair.

There has to be some good off topic mileage derived from having two of something you really ought to only need one of. Wives, for example.

You know what's another thing you should only have one of?

Eye patches...
  • Well, having two Cervelos has a certain rationale. They have the same measurements, so they feel very similar when you mount them. But once you get going, you realize they have very different feels. One feels slender and agile; the other goes like the clappers.

I don't mind if one's dirty as hell,as long as I can have one clean one. And one gets treated to all the best finishing touches, whereas the other gets all the everyday stuff, that's cheap to replace.

So really, I've got no idea what you're on about, AT. It's nothing like having two wives. :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Eye patches...

But not legs. At least, not in an @rse kicking contest.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Eye patches...

heather mills
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I believe it was Edward Izzard who said that one matchstick in the corner of the mouth was cool, two on the other hand makes you look ruddy silly.

Ciao
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Ohhh, you're a Bad Girl for that. You're going Hell, and no mistake.

I've seen her in real life. You really couldn't tell. Really.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Remove all the sh!t of commuting, and you don't have a commuting section worth looking at...
    On the other hand, is it worth having a commuting section where you have to wade through a lot of off-topic threads to find anything about commuting? I doubt that I'm the only one who, increasingly, rarely looks in here because it's frustrating wasting time trying to find relevant threads.

Rather than having yet another board, I think that the whole site needs compacting. The large number of boards that we have at present is spreading the existing membership out across too many boards. Put Commuting back in Road, use Cakestop for the trivia / chat. If the mish-mash of Cakestop, Campaign, Road Gear and Know-how, even Sportives and Road Rides, that you find in Commuting were distributed in the relevant areas in Road the threads should get a bigger and more relevant and interested audience. (IMO)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Eye patches...

heather mills
    Your left leg, I like. When I saw you hop into the room I thought, that's a good leg for the role.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Eye patches...

heather mills
    Your left leg, I like. When I saw you hop into the room I thought, that's a good leg for the role.

:lol::lol::lol:

Now you're going to hell too. Apparently all those who mock heather mills go to hell.
  • It's not "apparently". It's fact. I read it on- oh, never mind. You know.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Eye patches...

heather mills

I have nothing against your left leg, trouble is neither do you.

(A classic quote, far too good to remain incomplete)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Greg66 wrote:
    'kin' 'ell! Bloody ITB, when he's not building wicker men to "welcome" new arrivals to the village, he's on here, fermenting discord and division.

String 'im up. That's what I say.

I had that Ulrika Johnson in the back of my cab once. Nice girl. Bendy. :twisted:

:lol:
    very good and so true the snowmen are very life like around these parts :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Crapaud wrote:
    Put Commuting back in Road,

One of the high points of the Commuting Forum is that it tranverses all 'brands' of cycling. We have people who commute on road/off road, on road bikes, on mountain bikes etc etc. I wouldn't regularly read the Road forum, but the Commuting Forum has a nice atmosphere because its one of the few places in cycling where we focus on what we have in common (cycling to work) and not what's different.
  • Crapaud wrote:
    On the other hand, is it worth having a commuting section where you have to wade through a lot of off-topic threads to find anything about commuting? I doubt that I'm the only one who, increasingly, rarely looks in here because it's frustrating wasting time trying to find relevant threads.

You look in here for information about commuting? :shock:

In all seriousness, why? "True" commuting threads run to such exciting and pulse-racing topics as "should I get a hybrid or a MTB" (waddya think on that one, Spitchips?); "what bag should I use?"; "are hi-viz jackets/lights a good idea?" and "should I RLJ/undertake/shout at WVM etc?". Really, there's very, very little to it.

The point, though, and utility of this forum is that for a large number of adults commuting by bike represents their first return to riding since childhood. That return then becomes a springboard for all sorts of other enquiries - maintenance, new bikes, uber bikes, sportives, racing, triathlon, sponsored rides, weight loss, nutrition, hydration and so on. But those enquirers don't cease to be commuters just because they ask those questions. Turning this place into a revolving door for itinerants to swing through on their way to another forum would be a big mistake IMO.

Muthakcuka! :evil: You put me back on topic! Shame on you!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    No no please no keep it 'as is'. The banter in here rocks - it's 'general' so anything goes. Split everything up and you lose the spontaneity. And what would you do with the SCR thread?

I hardly spend any time in Road these days. Even Cake Stop is lifeless.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    How's the back Greg? any slight twinges?

offfffffffff topic woohoo!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    How's the back Greg? any slight twinges?

offfffffffff topic woohoo!

hehehe...

Lower back - tick

Upper back - pulled a muscle earlier in the week. Bit sore for 48 hours but now calmed down.

Seeing the physio this am following yesterday's spill (see the Black Ice thread) as a precautionary measure.

I think the problem was really the stretching exercises. Now it's not hurting now, and I've stopped doing the exercises. I think there was definitely a connection there. :wink::D:wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    edited February 2009
    And +1 on what Greg just said. Take away all the off topic banter, and what's left? "I overtook a cyclist this morning". Woo.

EDIT: I mean what Greg just said about the forum, not his back :P