Recommend me some leggings... (plus! Saddle angle advice?)

sarajoy
sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
...as my cotton grey ones were VERY cold and wet and made rather a nice "schlupp!" noise as I peeled them from my bright red thighs this morning.

Also, do ladies' cycling leggings/shorts also have bum-padding? I'm a little bit saddle-sore on the bony bits which I suppose must be the bottom of my pelvis. I couldn't angle the saddle any further back (that would crush even more sensitive areas!), so would tipping it forward a bit help? Or is this just one of those things that gets comfortable with time?

Cheers!
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• Well, I managed to find some great bib tights (which have the little dungaree-esque bit on the top) from Northwave, called a 'dream lady bib tight'. They are quick drying, fleecy-klined and lovely, and have bum-padding, which in my book is a good thing. However, I have 3 pairs so washing after one day isn't a problem.

There is clearly some sense in getting them without the padding and buying padded shorts/pants to go underneath, to save money and washing the tights all the time, but I've never successfully found any in girl-shape that aren't seriously skanky grey altura ones.

As for saddle angle, mess about with it! I find that if mine's too far forward I'm putting too much pressure on my hands to stop myself sliding off it, so that's a good measure.

It might be worth getting to a specialized shop and getting your sit-bone width checked (3 minute job) so you can see if your saddle is a good width for you.

Saddles are very personal too, the first few you try may well not be right for you.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What angle is the saddle at now? You want it near as dammit to horizontal for purely logistical reasons - if it tilts one way, gravity will go to work and you'll either slide in that direction or have to exert arm or leg or back strength keeping you stable.

Once you've got it horizontal you can experiment with very small movement either way, and see if that helps, but anything exaggerated is almost certain to be worse.
  • sarajoy
    Ahh, sound advice. Might well pop into the shop next time I pass by :)

A bib may be too much for me, just after some simple tights, I think.

So most of them tend to be water-wicking? Not sure I need warmth really as I heat up loads from inside - but it was a grim feeling having them sopping and stuck to me like that...
  • biondino wrote:
    What angle is the saddle at now? You want it near as dammit to horizontal for purely logistical reasons - if it tilts one way, gravity will go to work and you'll either slide in that direction or have to exert arm or leg or back strength keeping you stable.

Once you've got it horizontal you can experiment with very small movement either way, and see if that helps, but anything exaggerated is almost certain to be worse.
    Good advice.

The bruising of the "sit bones" is, I'm afraid, a rite of passage. It means you are sitting on the right bits though, particularly if you were a man, which you aren't, so it might not matter.
  • sarajoy
    biondino wrote:

Makes sense. TBH I've not changed it since I got it, only adjusted the height.

I'll have a look, I'd imagine it's horizontal! Certainly wouldn't be right tipped further back. Tipped forward I imagine I'd feel it even harder on the sit-bone.

So maybe I need a narrower/wider seat? Or am I just a newbie who'll get over the saddle-soreness soon? I've only done about 40 miles on it since Sunday 1st Feb, 8 miles-a-pop.
  • sarajoy
    Good advice.

The bruising of the "sit bones" is, I'm afraid, a rite of passage. It means you are sitting on the right bits though, particularly if you were a man, which you aren't, so it might not matter.
    Ah good, that's sortof what I was expecting.

I remember a pretty uncomfortable period with my last bikes too, until I got used to them. They had bigger spongier seats though (hybrid was very upright so I was sat on the big squidgy thing pretty heavily), so I just don't want to damage myself too far if there's something I should change...
  • Ooooh spongy saddle = bad, I'm told.

Suited to you = much better.

Further to my post above, re padding, if you're going for padded make sure it's girl-shaped. Sounds like stating the obvious, I know.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah - every time I have either got a new bike or started riding after a few months off I have gone through about a fortnight of not severe but noticeable discomfort in my bum even after short rides. Then one day it's not there any more and everything's great!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Are you riding without padding at all???

it makes so much difference it's not true, you could buy normal bibshorts/shorts and get non pad tights to sit over them... have a look on wiggle for ideas. or just get the Assos ones...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Tights_-_Cycle/
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The whole saddle pain thing was a surprised to me too, after my first long ride I remember the discomfort and asking my wife if that was normal???

"if that's normal why would people do it....?"

A amount of pain is normal and does eventually go away but as has already been mentioned finding the right saddle takes a little practice, trial and error but you NEED cycle specific shorts or full length tights.

My wife very amused by my ever increasing amounts of lycra clothing, padded shorts are a must :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    sarajoy wrote:
    Ahh, sound advice. Might well pop into the shop next time I pass by :)

A bib may be too much for me, just after some simple tights, I think.

So most of them tend to be water-wicking? Not sure I need warmth really as I heat up loads from inside - but it was a grim feeling having them sopping and stuck to me like that...

Don't be put off by the idea of bib-tights, they are much more comfortable without any sort of waist-band and the bib part doesn't necessarily have to be bulky. Some of them are not much more than braces.

A good wicking fabric will keep you much more comfortable, even when wet, since the fabric helps pull the moisture away from your skin and keep you warm. The same wicking action keeps you cooler on dry days because it helps the sweat evaporate, cooling you down.

Have a look at the DHB Earnley and Merston tights on Wiggle.co.uk - they are really well made and very good value. :) Incidentally, they are doing padded Merston tights (without bib) now, but the ladies specific ones don't seem to have pads.
  • Also, bib tights are waaaaay more comfortable.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    There is clearly some sense in getting them without the padding and buying padded shorts/pants to go underneath, to save money and washing the tights all the time, but I've never successfully found any in girl-shape that aren't seriously skanky grey altura ones.

I got some black ones for christmas that are reasonably comfy from here - http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/
  • sarajoy
    Really wow - didn't realise padding was considered so essential!

Currently going along in cheapo cotton leggings with a pair of standard sports shorts over the top.

Well in which case aye, maybe padded shorts plus some extra leggings just for winter will be worth getting. That LIDL sale looks worth seeking out in a couple of weeks! Will check your recommendations though for sure :)
    Ooooh spongy saddle = bad, I'm told.
    I gather! But it worked fairly well for a heavy hybrid which should at best be only used for leisurely bimble. It's since been relegated to the boyfriend's basement.

What the old hybrid does have, however, is a 'suspended seatpost' - it that something worth swapping over to the new bike, if the diameters match? It's a little like this: http://www.gazellebicycles.com.au/images/seat.jpg
  • Coriander wrote:

I got some black ones for christmas that are reasonably comfy from here - http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/

Fantastic! I'll order some presently. Thanks! :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    First day back on the bike today and it feels like someone's been kicking me in the arse for an hour :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Really wow - didn't realise padding was considered so essential!

Currently going along in cheapo cotton leggings with a pair of standard sports shorts over the top.

Well in which case aye, maybe padded shorts plus some extra leggings just for winter will be worth getting. That LIDL sale looks worth seeking out in a couple of weeks! Will check your recommendations though for sure :)
    Ooooh spongy saddle = bad, I'm told.
    I gather! But it worked fairly well for a heavy hybrid which should at best be only used for leisurely bimble. It's since been relegated to the boyfriend's basement.

What the old hybrid does have, however, is a 'suspended seatpost' - it that something worth swapping over to the new bike, if the diameters match? It's a little like this: http://www.gazellebicycles.com.au/images/seat.jpg

paddings good at least for middle/longer distance any how.

as to the suspention post, unless your getting sore from impacts? it shouldn't make any differrence to your saddle comfort.
  • sarajoy
    paddings good at least for middle/longer distance any how.

as to the suspention post, unless your getting sore from impacts? it shouldn't make any differrence to your saddle comfort.
    Well, is a 16 mile round trip per cycling-in day really middle/longer distance at all?

There are a few lumps and bumps on the roads that I struggle to avoid, or haven't yet remembered to swerve around - they certainly don't help! I found my old hybrid's suspended post is indeed the same diameter as that on the new bike - so I've put it on and if I ride tomorrow (got a STINKING head cold right now) I'll see if it feels any better.

The suspended post is a little heavier of course but I imagine isn't really much of a weight gain in the grand scheme of things.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Padding is not imperative if your saddle setup is right - I commute in jeans and did a 35mile ride in cheapo bibs today and suffered no discomfort.

However I do normally wear pretty expensive shorts for longer rides......Assos were well worth the money, I wear them under unpadded tights in the winter.

When I had a full time job last year I commuted in cheapo bibs for the 12mile return journey, don't think I would have fancied normal clothes....

PS I only have 4 road bikes, with Arione saddles, and narrow tyres.....nothing "comfortable" like suspension seatposts/suspension forks/wide tyres....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sarajoy
    I suspect my saddle might need changing - sometimes it feels as if one side of the 'sit bone' is off, the other on. Guess it needs to be a little wider.

The suspension was an added nicety today, it smoothed out a few of the rougher parts of the journey. It's not the nicest of roads! However I think I may also have tipped the seat forward a tiny bit when changing posts over, as it felt as if there was a lot of weight on my wrists/hands this morning.

Oh well, more adjustment for the ride home! Off on a short hol soon but may well end up getting a new saddle fairly soon after I return...