Continental Gatorskins

GibboGT
GibboGT Posts: 287
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
So far only managed to cover 19 miles on my pearson touche given the crappy weather, went for the tyre upgrade to the gatorskins to try to avoid punctures only just managed to get a puncture on my way home from work. Brilliant!

On my mountain bike I run dr sludge self sealing inners to try to avoid this problem (I seem to get quite a few on my commute) the thing is, road tyre wise they seem to do 18-23's amd 28-35's, i'm running 25's? Stupid question perhaps but what do I do?

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    not much point in having expensive tyres then having heavyweight inner tubes IMO.
    Keep your tyre pressures high and don't ride in the gutter. Tyres p*ncture more easily in the wet.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    There are a lot of mixed reviews of Gatorskins and some other conti tyres, some swear by them, others report regular cuts and punctures. I am of the latter group, in my view the rubber is too soft and flimsy, and the also wear fast, probably good for grip, but not puncture protection. The name is very misleading, moleskins might be more appropriate. Since my brief folly with Gators I have returned to Specialized All Conditions pro's and have been 100% puncture free fro thousands of miles. I wouldn't use self-sealing inners or other gunk in a road tyre. I want to know when there is an object penetrating the tread.
  • GibboGT
    Just to clarify, what would you consider high? sorry, i'm new to this road malarky.

It was pretty damn wet, actually I was pretty much cycling through a river :shock:

I was actually sold the gatorskin upgrade as resistant "not saying you'll never get a puncture, but..." Hmm that's not quite held at all.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Since my brief folly with Gators I have returned to Specialized All Conditions pro's and have been 100% puncture free fro thousands of miles.

As you say it's mixed, I used Gatorskins for two years without a flat once, I then tried the Specialized like you and punctured everytime I used them!!!!!!
  • feel
    should try to keep them up around 100psi (you will need a track pump to easily achieve this) otherwise you will compromise their p*ncture resistance. With all the grit that has been spread recently it is not too surprising to pick up something sharp. As alphablue said you do get a range of opinion on these but i wouldn't give up on them yet. Never know you might go a 1000 mile before the next one.
  • GibboGT
    Cheers for all input folks, Just a little gutted as I hate taking tyres off etc.

Think I was running at about 90psi, seemed pretty solid and my track pump had started to push back a bit so I stopped. I'll work it harder next time.
  • feel
    Probs worth taking them up to at least 110 as they all slowly leak at least that way you should get some time with a high pressure. Put them to 90 and you are probs running around on 80. Anyway read what it says on the tyre wall and be guided by that.
  • kez78
    kez78 Posts: 109
    I've been commuting on Gatorskins for well over a year now with not a single puncture, can't fault them. my ultremos on my road bike are not so good at serviving London roads. !
  • I clocked up about 6k miles on my last set of Gatorskins with only a few punctures. Just bought some new ones as they were worn and cut. But realised I ordered the folding tyres. Apart from being more expensive, does anyone know if they are better or worse. I think I got the non-folding last time. Thanks
  • I clocked up about 6k miles on my last set of Gatorskins with only a few punctures. Just bought some new ones as they were worn and cut. But realised I ordered the folding tyres. Apart from being more expensive, does anyone know if they are better or worse. I think I got the non-folding last time. Thanks
  • I clocked up about 6k miles on my last set of Gatorskins with only a few punctures. Just bought some new ones as they were worn and cut. But realised I ordered the folding tyres. Apart from being more expensive, does anyone know if they are better or worse than non-folding. I think I got the non-folding last time. Thanks
  • I clocked up about 6k miles on my last set of Gatorskins with only a few punctures. Just bought some new ones as they were worn and cut. But realised I ordered the folding tyres. Apart from being more expensive, does anyone know if they are better or worse than non-folding. I think I got the non-folding last time. Thanks

The folders are fine my owd, every bit as good as the rigid ones. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • p*ncture

? is puncture a naughty word now?
  • GibboGT
    It's like beetle juice, say it three times and it may appear :shock:
  • oh.
    I'm in my 30s, you see...
  • I run Gatorskins with a pair of http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Slime ... 360038257/ and get no punctures, I live in a really flinty area as well and they do not seem to cut up.
  • alfablue
    Tempestas wrote:
    I run Gatorskins with a pair of http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Slime ... 360038257/ and get no punctures, I live in a really flinty area as well and they do not seem to cut up.
    seems like a worse option than getting decent tyres in the first place.
  • GibboGT
    oh.

Then beetlejuice must be your era?

I don't actually know that something along those lines is the cause of the p*ncture usage btw :lol: Presume it must be?

Yeah did see the slimes, but tbh they are mucho pricey especially compared to the dr sludge ones. The last thing I want to do is add weight or slow the acceleration on my Touche. (Rode my mtb this morning and it was such hard work! even with the added "benefit" of gears).

Will get some standard tubes and just run at higher pressures I think.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    GibboGT wrote:
    oh.

Then beetlejuice must be your era?

I don't actually know that something along those lines is the cause of the p*ncture usage btw :lol: Presume it must be?

Yeah did see the slimes, but tbh they are mucho pricey especially compared to the dr sludge ones. The last thing I want to do is add weight or slow the acceleration on my Touche. (Rode my mtb this morning and it was such hard work! even with the added "benefit" of gears).

Will get some standard tubes and just run at higher pressures I think.
    it's not like Beetlejuice, more like the p*ncture fairy will come and get you! Or at least that' what I've heard :lol:
  • alfablue wrote:
    Tempestas wrote:
    I run Gatorskins with a pair of http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Slime ... 360038257/ and get no punctures, I live in a really flinty area as well and they do not seem to cut up.

Not at all, they grip well, roll well, don't cut up and stay inflated. How is that not a good combination? When doing 3-400 miles a week I like to make sure I spend as much time on the bike as possible, not on the road side fixing avoidable punctures.
  • alfablue
    Tempestas wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Tempestas wrote:

Not at all, they grip well, roll well, don't cut up and stay inflated. How is that not a good combination? When doing 3-400 miles a week I like to make sure I spend as much time on the bike as possible, not on the road side fixing avoidable punctures.
    No, that is indeed fantastic, just not quite so fantastic as having tyres without gunk in that roll well, grip well and never puncture in thousands of miles on cr*ppy roads and trails.
  • alfablue
    But, its a personal choice, we find our own solutions, you are happy with yours, that's good.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Tempestas wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Tempestas wrote:

No, that is indeed fantastic, just not quite so fantastic as having tyres without gunk in that roll well, grip well and never puncture in thousands of miles on cr*ppy roads and trails.

Do you know of any? I have been racing for around 20 years now and found this combo the best for high mileage training with no downtime, I have tried almost all tyres and found this the best combo. I am always up for trying something new though, the biggest problem I find is that harder tyres do not grip and anything softer cuts up due to living in a flinty area.

I should also mention I use a flint catcher on the front and rear as well :wink: