Slogging my guts out through mud....

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Will I tell a difference come summer ?

Basically, I only really get to use different variations of my local trails and to put it mildly, they are messy :)

I don't mind it, in fact I quite enjoy the whole getting messed up experience. Generally, I'll go out 3 or 4 times a week off road and will generally cover 20 miles, 15 of which is hard slogging through thick mud and at least 3 or 4 serious climbs which have my eyes bursting out of my head, dependant on which route I take. 2 or 3 in the daytime and at least one night ride, which does tend to slow you down somewhat and make it an even harder slog !!

Its been this way since last Octoberish and getting steadily messier. I had one period of restbite a few weeks back when the trails were frozen solid and I felt fast and strong, but I was out with a large group so I thought the competitive thing might of got the old adrenaline moving.

So does it make you fitter and stronger or does the lack of speed and momentum hold you back somewhat ? I'd also assume your riding skill levels would improve as well as your maintenance skills as you have to fix something every bloody week !! :D

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I don't like it, if anything I can exercise better without it too. It does add a bit of variety though and it makes me appreciate summer more when it finally comes! I was out yesterday and it was a mix of snow and muddy slime, I was on the single speed which I recently build up and completely unable to climb the slimey hills. Rubbish ride!
  • Dunno, I ride the same through the winter only less miles, same times approx out and don't notice a improvement for the summer, okay dry trails are faster but fitter don't think so and soon drops off in a few weeks and dry trails = HEAT which doesn't suite me so screwed either way.

Been coming back with nothing left in our legs recently, due to the mud, looking at the Sat Nav and seeing 8.5miles and thinking that can't be right :( but it is :(

Icey trails are perfect for me, loads of them recently, been great :)

Treat yourself to a man made dryish Llandegla or the other trail centres not much further for you.
  • -liam-
    I do head up to llandegla occasionally but you have to add 3 hours onto the time spent there just in packing the car and driving there and back and unpacking the car again. Add that to the 3 or 4 hours spent there and that your daylight gone this time of year...That and i can't be arsed with all the faff! Shouldn't be so lazy.
  • 3-4hours from Shrewsbury, In Kidderminster here takes me 1hour45mins I think to get there, surprised it takes so long, but i've got a estate and the bike just drops in, in sub 10seconds :)

Just take your lights, get there late to miss the AM rush and ride all night :)
  • If your riding through mud, it will require more effort!
    Should improve balance?
  • -liam-
    Turveyd38 wrote:
    3-4hours from Shrewsbury, In Kidderminster here takes me 1hour45mins I think to get there, surprised it takes so long, but i've got a estate and the bike just drops in, in sub 10seconds :)

Just take your lights, get there late to miss the AM rush and ride all night :)

Nah, I mean there and back and then the faffing inbetween...It takes me about an hour to get there plus I've got 3 kids and a Missus that works weekends. Time is always tight.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    If your riding through mud, it will require more effort!
    Should improve balance?

Yep, It'll definately make a difference especially if you're using the same gear that you'd normally use. You're having to put a lot more effort in to get the same distance. For example, 20 miles of tarmac is a damn sight easier to ride than 20 miles of mud! It'll help to build up the power in your legs!

Getting out of the saddle and doing say 20 pumps (10 with each leg) then back in the saddle for 20 (rest), then back out again etc (do that 15-20 times a ride on uphill sections), will also do wonders for your leg power. You'll feel like you're near to death though as your lungs and legs work overtime, but god does it feel good!!! lol Keep puming those legs no matter how much it burns (much like spinning down the gym, but much more fun)!!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    If your riding through mud, it will require more effort!
    Should improve balance?

Yep, It'll definately make a difference especially if you're using the same gear that you'd normally use. You're having to put a lot more effort in to get the same distance. For example, 20 miles of tarmac is a damn sight easier to ride than 20 miles of mud! It'll help to build up the power in your legs!

Getting out of the saddle and doing say 20 pumps (10 with each leg) then back in the saddle for 20 (rest), then back out again etc (do that 15-20 times a ride on uphill sections), will also do wonders for your leg power. You'll feel like you're near to death though as your lungs and legs work overtime, but god does it feel good!!! lol Keep puming those legs no matter how much it burns (much like spinning down the gym, but much more fun)!!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4