Streamlined body position

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,911
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I have a feeling I may be sat too high up on my bike and it's affecting my streamlining. My saddle is roughly parallel to the handlebars at the moment. Other bikes I see on the weekly club ride have their handlebars a fair bit below the saddle.

I'm a bit of a shorty so can't really put the saddle up. Can the handlebars be shifted down a bit? Is there a recommended position for these things?

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea you can move the bars down depending on wether or not you have some spacers under the stem. what do you feel like when you get down on the drops?
    cartoon.jpg
  • If your saddle is at the correct height, look at removing spacers if you have any and perhaps fitting a longer stem so make you a bit more stretched out on your bike.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    Might be a silly question, but how do you remove spacers (assuming some have been found)?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited February 2009
    Take them from under the stem and put them on top of it.

Loosen your stem bolts - then fully unscrew your top cap bolt and remove bolt and cap - pull/slide stem off - slide spacers up and off steerer tube - put stem back on by sliding it back down steerer tube - put spacers back on top of stem - put top-cap on, then screw top cap bolt down sufficiently to remove play - then tighten your stem bolts.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You'll have to take the stem off and move any spacers from underneath the stem to above the stem (this all assumes your bike is fairly modern with an aheadset). When you refit it then just remember the stem bolts are what secures the stem to the fork steerer, the top cap bolt is just to load the bearings so don't overtighten it.