Focus Culebro or Caad9

mendipman
mendipman Posts: 3
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Im a heavier rider but completed some longer rides...LEjog and Calais to Nice over the Alps. I need a new bike and am looking for an aluminium frame. Was going for a caad9 until I saw the Focus Culebro. Seems to be a lack of reviews. Anyone got the focus? Any opnions on it?

Cheers!

Comments

• Caad 9 , if it was good enough for salvodelli its good enough for you!
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    I ride a Focus Cross bike and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the bike. It has done over 5,000 miles and still no real problems with it at all, usual maintenance will keep your Focus delivering a great quality ride.

Having said that the CAAD9 is a nice bike as well.

Decisions, decisions :-)
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    I've got the 2008 culebro and it rides exactly like my old caad8 for a third of the price. It's a brilliant ride but you may find something with a more relaxed geometry better for longer rides than the culebro or caad9 . I'd get something with a higher head tube than either of them for lejog.

Look at the roubaix or similar for comfort, if you're used to a road bike and can handle the more race orientated geometry the Focus is a great bike :wink:

edit: looked at the synapse?
  • Mendipman

I have done a few hundred miles now on my 08 Focus Cuelbro and can recommend it highly. I would say that I have, for my own body size, shortened the stem from the one supplied and took the opportunity to go for carbon, and whilst I was at it swapped the seatpost for carbon also. Both of these mods have greatly softened the road buzz. Additionally I ride my own Specialized saddle. The frame is quite superb for the money, but it is as stated quite race oriented. That said it is light and nimble on climbs and for me thats a boon as I am not up to much in fitness and am pretty heavy as well. I really recommend the SRAM Rival groupset and am looking at perhaps getting the Focus race replica later this year with the 09 Rival group (red in black!).

One thing to note is that if buying the 09 model from Wiggle you can have a money back trial period with a Focus. If your budget will stretch, and sportives are your goal you should also look at the Kiron Scandium... also from Wiggle.
  • helpful stuff...thanks...Im still thinking!!!!
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    +1 for the Caad9, had mine for a month or so, £849 quid from Evans (2008 105 model). May think about a carbon seat post some time maybe, the build quality of the frame is lovely. Really nice finishm rides good as far as I can see, 40miles last weekend, 35 today.

Works for me

Nick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie