Had any problems using "Muc-off"?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
My bike is only six months old and only done about 300 dry miles.

The decals started to peel off the wheels, Specialized say it may be Muc-off that's caused the problem.

If so what should I use?

Also I do use some de-greaser, could it have been this?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• I've never had a problem with it removing decals. It can occasionallly mark anodised components if left to sit too long, but not badly.

Jet washing is more likely to lift stickers than anything else, and even then you'd have to work pretty hard of they were properly applied in the first place.

Alaric.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    I would suspect that the de-greaser is the cause, rather then the Muc-Off.
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    +1 for the de-greaser. Though are you using it on the rims, or being too liberal with it elsewhere? I'd say it only needs to be used on parts that actually get oily/ greasy. Muc-off should be enough for everywhere else. Scrub rims rather than using de-greaser to lift the gunky stuff.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No, I disagree, Muc Off is pretty agressive - it makes paint go flat and 'ages' elastomers, particularly if its not rinsed off correctly. I only use warm soapy water on the bike frame and rims and leave the special cleaners for the oily bits. I know the guys at Specialized - they know their onions and have more knowledge that your typical LBS employee too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Yep, I used it once on a carbon frame which turned an alarming misty grey colour. It obviously only effected the lacquer as over the next few days the blackness returned but I'll never use it again. There's nothing that a mild car shampoo can't get off with a bit of elbow grease, and for cleaning chains and other oily stuff I'd use a decent degreaser anyway.

You wouldn't spray that crap on a Ferrari why do it to the paint on your bike? If you care about your bike don't put your faith in harsh chemicals like Muc Off and instead put a bit of time in with some elbow grease and a mild soap like car shampoo, or even washing up liquid if you really must. Muc Off is for lazy MTBers who wouldn't know what a sponge was if it bit them in the arse. Best avoided I reckon.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    can't say I've ever had any problems using muc-off type cleaners, and certainly never had any problems with decals lifting, which makes me think there must be something else going on. Those types of cleaning solution are designed to be sprayed on and then rinsed off immediately and so long as you do this, you should never have any trouble with it affecting any aspect of your bike's finish.
  • Muc-Off destroys stuff. Your degreaser may not be helping either, depends on what you're using. But I certainly won't use Muc-off anywhere near any of my bikes. Might give it a try on this door I need to strip however.
  • Is it only me that thinks Muc Off and like are a total waste of money, never really shifts the dirt and ebded up useing soapy water afterwards anyway.

Can't beat warm soapy water and a bit of hard work.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I just use some car wash such as triple wax or turtle wax, it cleans the dirty bits and leaves a nice shine once the bike is rinsed and dried :D
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Another vote for car shampoo and warm water, and Fenwicks for chain/cassette.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • softlad
    Muc-Off destroys stuff. Your degreaser may not be helping either, depends on what you're using. But I certainly won't use Muc-off anywhere near any of my bikes. Might give it a try on this door I need to strip however.

I use my own (cheaper) version of muc-off - a commercial automotive, non-caustic TFR diluted about 60% with water. I use this on all of my cycles (and motorcycles) - never had any problems and they always come up spotless...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    agree with above - muc-off and similar are bloody aggressive - it dulls paint and attacks matt-finish alloy parts

it might be OK diluted but I won't use it on my carbon bike no way.

I use tesco car wash solutiojn which is a great cleaner and leaves a nice wax enhanced finish too.
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257

I use a diluted Fenwicks solution for the whole bike, then neat for the chain... this is wat it says on the bottle... or is this as bad as the muc-off?
  • softlad
    if you've been using it without issue then I would just carry on...
  • softlad
    gkerr4 wrote:
    it might be OK diluted but I won't use it on my carbon bike no way.

muc off and other bike cleaners like pro-clean, etc are all basically just diluted TFR and most of what you get in a muc-off/pro-clean bottle is probably water anyway. I can't think of any reason not to use it on a carbon bike...
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    Wilkinsons do a cheaper version of muc off...not more than £3 for same size bottle. Great stuff never had any problems with it. Never had a problem with muc off either I'm just too tight to pay for it! Also re stickers peeling off...who cares? Just peel them off if they're coming off...might shave a few grams off who knows :wink:
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    softlad wrote:
    if you've been using it without issue then I would just carry on...

Cheers
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    It's never given me a problem in two years of using it.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    mcflyss wrote:

I use a diluted Fenwicks solution for the whole bike, then neat for the chain... this is wat it says on the bottle... or is this as bad as the muc-off?

It's okay - but car shampoo is cheaper :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos