Numb Hands

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just completed my first "proper" run on the new road bike (Cannondale Synapse Carbon) today. Only my second time on a road bike, so I'm not sure what to expect hence this post. Managed 16 miles in just under an hour which I'm pretty pleased at. Especially as the route wasn't flat.

Anyway, once I had been riding for about 20 mins, my hands started getting a little numb. Particulary at the fleshy pad area just at the botton of the thumb. This seems to be where all my weight is when on the hoods. I moved them about a bit and tried different positions on the bars, but didn't really go away. Is this something I will just have to build up a resistance to, or should I try another pair of gloves/bar tape etc? Should say that I was wearing Sealskin gloves which have no padding in this area.

Also the bottom of my back was slightly sore towards the end. Again, something I'll get used to? Will find out how bad this is when I do a longer distance next time around.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your numb hands and back suggest it's your position - you may be trying to adopt too extreme a position too soon - you may need to work on your flexibility and core body strength to be able to adopt the optimum position. See if you can, raise your bars by flipping the stem / more spacers. Likewise, sliding the saddle a little forward on the rails may help too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    I had the same problem this year after buying my first carbon framed bike (Focus Cayo), I would agree with Monty, I flipped the stem which helped my lower back and hands for about an extra 20 mins, didn't move my seat position as it was set up the same as my Alu bike but I have added Fizik gel bar pads and tape which have seen the problem disappear. :D

I am not sure if it was the tape, stem me riding the bike more and getting used to it or a combination of all three but all is good now :)

I hope this is useful good luck sorting it!

Benn
    P.S I also ride a Gixer 600!!
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    For your hands, it's worth spending on a good pair of padded gloves and as above go for the gel pads under the bar tape. Good luck .
    Also as you are not ridding on the flat try to vary your hand position on the bars, don't hold the bars to tightly on the climbs, use the drops on the fast decents, and enjoy
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Likewise, sliding the saddle a little forward on the rails may help too.

Worth a look at the saddle position - but only adjust it relative to the BB so you are sitting in the right position not to change the overall length.

I would probably try going back a little though - that puts more weight on your backside so less on your hands - going forward makes you more above the BB which will make you lean onto your hands.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Cheers for all the replies folks. I am defo going to invest in a pair of gloves with some good gel padding. That'll be the first stop. If that doesn't work then I'll try the Fizik gel bar strips. Look like a good idea.

I think it might well be me holding on too tightly whilst getting used to the new bike. I was out on the trails today and noticed the same thing whilst on the downhills, so I think I must be gripping way too tight.

Cheers