Boardman pro carbon or trek Madone 4.5

sbains
sbains Posts: 9
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi, just wanted to get some thoughts for a bike upgrade. I am looking to spend about £1200 and for that I can get hold of one of the new Boardman Pro Carbon with Sram Force and full lightweight carbon frame. I have given one of these a go and I really like it. However I have also been told I should take a look at a Trek Madone 4.5 which comes with Ultegra and also has a carbon frame. I haven’t ridden this yet but have been told I should. Just want to hear back from people who have tried either of these or whether I should look at something else?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    The worlds your oyster at this price point. Loads of well specced carbon frames out there at around this price (Trek, Planet X, Boardman, Focus, Raleigh, Fuji). Best thing to do is try them out and choose the one that fits best.
  • Hi thanks for that, I saw the trek 4.7 today now only £1350 and it does look pretty good though the guy in the store still believes that the SRAM force which I would get with the Boardman Pro Carbon is much much better and the whole bike is also 2lbs lighter which isnt much but on paper it all looks to point to the Boardman..However Is the quality of the Trek something Im not appreciating?? thoughts

Thanks
  • I have a madone 5.1 and it's awesome....however i don't think i could justify the price/spec difference between the boardman and trek....unless of course you plan to upgrade at some point? The wheels on the trek are very heavy....but the frame is a thing of beauty.

the boardman would be the sensible choice!

i don't know....i love my trek, but i haven't ridden a boardman!
    pain is temporary..... but it does hurt!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    sbains wrote:
    the whole bike is also 2lbs lighter which isnt much

at these weights, 2lbs is a huge amount...something like 10-12%..
  • Sounds like apples and oranges.
    Both are carbon frames with similar geometry.

It really comes down to Force or Ultegra, and the wheelset (which frankly, are more important than the frames).

Far too much emphasis is put on the frame for the context of a whole bike.

2lbs is actually a noticeable weight difference.
  • Sounds like apples and oranges.
    Both are carbon frames with similar geometry.

It really comes down to Force or Ultegra, and the wheelset (which frankly, are more important than the frames).

Far too much emphasis is put on the frame for the context of a whole bike.

2lbs is actually a noticeable weight difference.

I'm interested in these comments about 2lbs of weight.

I've just bought a Bianchi 928 C2C 105 (09) and picked it up from Evans this week. I haven't ridden it yet as it's to be a "summer" bike but whilst it looks great and seems to get good reviews, I'm a bit disappointed with it's weight. It cost the best part of £1500 but seems to be about 1.5lbs heavier than the Boardman carbon which you can get for £1K. The planetX is lighter still I believe. In fact I'm not sure it's any lighter than the Bianchi 1885 alu I sold recently.

I just ride with a mate or by myself but do like to push myself a bit and get my average speed up. Will I manage this with the C2C or should I have gone for a lighter, but possibly less comfortable, alternative?
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Hi sbains, i listed in your original cycling plus office thread, just in case t's any use and you hadn't seen it, cheers, scurry
  • Yorkiand wrote:
    I just ride with a mate or by myself but do like to push myself a bit and get my average speed up. Will I manage this with the C2C or should I have gone for a lighter, but possibly less comfortable, alternative?

I personally would prioritize comfort and performance over weight. You can always upgrade in the future to drop weight. Honestly, a well-fitting bike is the ultimate goal, as your fitness will determine speed more than any bike brand.

Take your weight with full kit, add the bike, then ask how much 1.5 lbs is relative to the total weight, and how much weight you can loose on your body.

The Weightweenies forum is full of guys on $15,000 bikes obsessing about 50g, or two sips of water, but to them, cycling is more about toys than actual riding.
  • Yorkiand wrote:

I personally would prioritize comfort and performance over weight. You can always upgrade in the future to drop weight. Honestly, a well-fitting bike is the ultimate goal, as your fitness will determine speed more than any bike brand.

Take your weight with full kit, add the bike, then ask how much 1.5 lbs is relative to the total weight, and how much weight you can loose on your body.

The Weightweenies forum is full of guys on $15,000 bikes obsessing about 50g, or two sips of water, but to them, cycling is more about toys than actual riding.

Well you've helped to reassure me Martin. Thanks!