Shimano Deore Cassette

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
What are they like? I can't afford expensive cassettes anymore, and fed up of wasting money on drivetrain that just wears out.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they work. if you have an alloy cassette carrier then not recommended.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Heavy, maybe a little longer lasting than XT.

I think the XT is worth 20 quid more.
  • They seem alright for the money, I got one for when I upgrade my bike to 9 speed. They can be had for £20 or mabe less on ebay, so definitly cheaper than most others. All you're really paying for with the XT/XTR is less weight, perhaps a tiny bit more smoothness and a little more durability. It's up to you to decide whether that's worth it.
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    My deore cassette is heavy, but shifts smoothly and clears the crap when the mud and ice gets in OK
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I find that they wear a lot faster than an XT.

£23 for a Deore two or three times a year or £40 for an XT once a year? Hmmm.

That said I do use Hope Pro II hubs, so I have to have a carrier-type cassette anyway, but even so...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • At the moment I'm using a Sram PG990 cassette, but only bought the Deore as a spare, and also got it cheap before the price increases effect the mail-order websites. My rear hub is a Hope bulb, so I'm not sure what the cassette carrier is made of, and ideas?

Cheers