Tour of Qatar - SPOILER

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited February 2009 in Pro race
Wiggins!

He's in yellow after his Garmin team finished ahead of Quick Step and Katusha.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Excellent. Iain will be so thrilled.

Where did you see the result?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surely he's a shoe-in for the TdF overall now? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Seems they were training specifically for it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l20EysZmCyY
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Bugger - there's a promo video for the Garmin 705 in "related videos"....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Given the competition that they're facing in Qatar, this shows that Wiggins is capable of taking yellow for a couple of days in France this summer.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    johnfinch wrote:
    Given the competition that they're facing in Qatar, this shows that Wiggins is capable of taking yellow for a couple of days in France this summer.

Really? How? The Tour de France opening TT is 15km long and has a stonking great hill in the middle of it.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    afx237vi wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Really? How? The Tour de France opening TT is 15km long and has a stonking great hill in the middle of it.
    I guess he meant it as a sarcastic comment. :wink:
  • this may be a stupid question but why did they use road bikes and not tt bikes for the 6 k tt today?
  • iainf72
    this may be a stupid question but why did they use road bikes and not tt bikes for the 6 k tt today?

Various reasons - To try and keep it more interesting, so that teams won't have to fly loads of TT bikes to Qatar for 6km etc etc.
  • anyone got a link to watch this tour online??
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    afx237vi wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I was being a bit sarcastic - from the "given the competition" bit. I hope he takes a stage though, maybe now he's concentrating on the road he can get the ITT, or into a decent break.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    this may be a stupid question but why did they use road bikes and not tt bikes for the 6 k tt today?

Various reasons - To try and keep it more interesting, so that teams won't have to fly loads of TT bikes to Qatar for 6km etc etc.

I think I read somewhere the integrated seat posts on the TT bikes pose a major problem when trying to pack them away for flights etc
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Hopefully Britain will retain the lead with Cav winning today
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 863763.stm
    At least they've now managed to find a pic of Wiggo with a Garmin cap - earlier they had a stock photo of him in Columbia kit :roll:
  • Kléber
    A short, stocky Briton wins stage 2! Guess the name...
  • SPOILER

roger hamond!!!!!!!! :D
  • Kléber wrote:
    A short, stocky Briton wins stage 2! Guess the name...
    Kléber ?
  • afx237vi
    That was a surprisingly interesting stage to watch. If you ignore the landscape...

Amazing performance by Cervelo... what was it, 6 riders in a group of 15?! Defending the jersey for the rest of the week will be tough though.
  • iainf72
    Great win.

The camera work ruined it slightly as when he started pedalling squares you didn't know he was 20 meters from the finishing line.
  • that comentator didnt have a clue either :(
  • iainf72
    jimycooper wrote:
    that comentator didnt have a clue either :(

Harmon? He did an excellent job, as usual.
  • afx237vi
    It was a bit confusing because the flamme rouge appeared to be a leftover road sign with a red triangle on it.
  • Kléber
    Going off topic for a moment...

I see Eurosport are now offering the "Eurosport Player", you subscribe online to watch their output. Has anyone tried it? Their free feeds last year needed a magnifying glass to watch, is the online subscription offering high streaming rates?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    jimycooper wrote:
    that comentator didnt have a clue either :(

Harmon? He did an excellent job, as usual.

he did an excellent job up to the piont where he didnt see the finish line and assured us quick step had it in the bag.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been on nights, set the Sky+, just been watching today's stage on Eurosport HD, the dreaded End of Programme sign came up about 20 mins from the end!

Damn you with your erratic broadcasting Eurosport!

Great great result though.

I forgot, last year in order to record the Giro I had to ensure I set the Sky+ for about two hours extra after the Giro programme was scheduled to finish as they kept overrunning on the French Open.
  • iainf72
    jimycooper wrote:

he did an excellent job up to the piont where he didnt see the finish line and assured us quick step had it in the bag.

I also didn't know where the finish line was and he only see's the same pictures as us.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    good win for Hammond...bodes well for him in the classics...and hopefully the season as a whole.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    heavy snows and a day off work coincide with live ToQ coverage!

well done hammond, i thought he was gone for and taking his hands off the bar to sit up but he was really preparing to celebrate his win! here's for another classics podium
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    Kléber wrote:
    Going off topic for a moment...

I see Eurosport are now offering the "Eurosport Player", you subscribe online to watch their output. Has anyone tried it? Their free feeds last year needed a magnifying glass to watch, is the online subscription offering high streaming rates?

I had a look at it, but it seems to be Windows only, so I didn't sign up. I did try it on a friend's computer and they show you a test video, which was bigger and better than the free feeds.

If you're not a Windows user SkyPlayer has a live stream of Eurosport 1, but it costs £15 a month, compared to Eurosport Player's £4 a month for Eurosport 1 and 2. Though it might be free if you're a Sky subscriber. The SkyPlayer quality is better than any of the free feeds I've seen.

Both of them looked about the same quality as an iPlayer stream to me.
  • Great result for Hammond and Cervelo. Amazing crowds :shock: I think I saw two people outside the start/finish lines.