Saddles, riding and peeing. Help

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Didn't quite know where to put this, but here goes.

Basically on rides, I need to pee quite regularly. It's been a major problem on club runs (not fun chasing 10 other guys in chaingang formation into the wind) and with racing round the corner I can't afford to be stopping. I don't drink a huge amount before or during rides (half a bottle of gatorade before I go out, and sip regularly once i'm riding).

I've read things before about saddles putting pressure on certain sensitive areas, and was wondering if anyone else has suffered similar problems, and how did you rectify it?

Any help much appreciated!
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    There are many reasons why men can need to pee 'regularly' by regularly do you mean excessively?? How old are you ShockedSoShocked?

I find I need the 'facilities' more now than when I was younger (now 43), I get up the night sometimes which I never had to do. I believe this is more to do with age rather than anything else. (I hope!)

Do you keep your back/ kidney area warm enough (been darned cold recently- specially 'up in t north'), or perhaps you are simply over-hydrated. Perhaps try something rather than Gatorade to rule this out of the problem. Try just water, or another sports drink instead.

The need to pee 'excessively' can be a symptom of many other problems (health), as I say if it excessively, a lot more than you used to recently for instance, it would be worth having a chat with your Doctor. (and lay off the training pints just before a run -re your avatar)

I hope this helps, perhaps some one more qualified (nutritionist, dietician, physician) other than myself could help/ interject here for you...
  • I'm only 20 :oops:

I was thinking it was perhaps the cold too. I wrap up well (3 jerserys, 2 pairs of tights) and am rarely cold on the bike.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I'm only 20 :oops:

I was thinking it was perhaps the cold too. I wrap up well (3 jerserys, 2 pairs of tights) and am rarely cold on the bike.
    Stop drinking pints of beer as on your avatar.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I'm only 20 :oops:

Never thought about it at the time we rode togeather but I'm old enough to be your Grandad :lol:

Once I've peed for the first time on a ride I tend to need to go quite a lot more than I usually do, but I'm also drinking a lot more than I usually do and I'd rather stop fo a couple of extra pees on a 100 miler than get cramp through dehydration. I also check the colour of my pee and if it's clear I know I'm OK , Yellow and I'm running into BIG problems.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    The cold does make a big difference to how musch you want to go.
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Do you drink coffee before you ride- even a couple of hours before? I've given up coffee in the winter cos I can't stop peeing once I've had it, especially if it's cold and I've not eaten.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • pbracing wrote:
    Do you drink coffee before you ride- even a couple of hours before? I've given up coffee in the winter cos I can't stop peeing once I've had it, especially if it's cold and I've not eaten.

I did used to have tea but have stopped that and like i said drink the gatorade.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Hi SSS,

I can't really offer any help but I am in the same boat, I find myself needing to pee every 45 min or more regularly. Can be a problem on the commute, there have been times when I've needed to relieve myself on very busy routes in to London :oops: :oops: :oops: Also irritating on club runs or out with mates.
    I generally drink a lot, not just on the bike, so playing with that is my first port of call. I'm also a morning coffee man, so that suggestion is a possibility. I think I am going to see my GP, obvio a little bit scared it might involve the old finger up the bum bum but hey ho, better safe than sorry. :roll:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Don't drink anything for at least 60 minutes before you go out - if that doesn't work try nothing for 90 minutes - standard in long running races.

Have a half hour ride round before meeting your mates and find somewhere to have a pee just before you meet them.

Don't start drinking straight away on the ride - leave it 45 minutes or so.

Try and ignore it and just carry on riding - it might just be psychological - you are worried about having to stop so you think about it which automatically makes you want to stop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Hi, Shocked.

Had a few pee problems myself a few years ago.

Is yours just on the bike or off it as well?

At 48 I found a few problems resulting in waking in the night as well as caught short elsewhere. Now sorted, but only after 3 years of 'investigation' followed by surgery. 1 year later, I can ride for hours without the slightest problem

At 20 you really shouldn't be suffering like that - get yourself checked at the GP. It wont be anything your GP hasn't seen before, but best not ignored, no matter how embarrasing you might find it talking about it.

Just do it, if only for peace of mind.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Now sorted, but only after 3 years of 'investigation' followed by surgery. 1 year later, I can ride for hours without the slightest problem

Not to hijack this thread but what did you find was your problem and what was the cure? My phys., Dr. Big Hands Johnson, has investigated a little more than I would have liked and said everything was "fine" but I still have the same problem as you both.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    John C. wrote:
    Once I've peed for the first time on a ride I tend to need to go quite a lot more than I usually do...
    Oh yes - once the seal has been broken, that's it!
  • stopping to pee?
    call yourself a proper rider? ;)
    Just whizz on the move. Move to the back of the group first, though.

• Is yours just on the bike or off it as well?

It's only on the bike. Off it I think I go a fairly normal amount. I might take your suggestion and go to the GP just incase.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • in all seriousness now:

is it just a 'need to pee' - are you actually producing much when you do? Or just feeling you need to stop to expel a few mL every few miles?
    I had the latter about 10 years ago, was diagnosed as inflammation of the prostate. Bit of a procedure under GA, few weeks off the bike, fine since. But best to get it seen to.
  • in all seriousness now:

is it just a 'need to pee' - are you actually producing much when you do?

Oh no, I genuinely really need to pee. And i'm usually OK for the majority of the ride after that, although I do sometimes feel as if I need to again, but not as much, and I can usually manage till the cafe.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Mostly it's the cold that does for me. I try and drink a fair bit on the bike but when it's freezing cold I probably don't consume as much liquid as I should. Still, a trip to the doctors is a good idea. My dad (73) has recently had to have things investigated and is awaiting results. Apparently being a cyclist can play havoc with the old prostate gland (makes it swell from the size of a polo mint to a doughnut :shock: )

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • I've also been struggling with this. I drink lots of fluids all day and don't have to go that often, but on the bike . I'd find myself always stopping on a 2 hr ride at least once. I think the position on the bike puts pressure on the bladder which doesn't help

Recently I've tried to limit my water intake somewhat. Unless it's a full-on effort, you shouldn't need to pre-load with fluids, just make sure you have the proper amount of fluids thoughout the day. Once on the bike the secret is to drink often but take smaller sips. Even if you dehydrated if you drink a large volume over a small time your body will excrete most of it. Your body can only take on so much fluid it's pointless to drink too much. On steady endurance type rides i;ve cut my intake to around 250-300ml an hour. Then after the ride I continue to drink this amount for the few hours after (it's also important to keep hydrated when recovering.)

This is a balancing act obviously you want to avoid dehydration. It's simply of case of listening to your body and fine-tuning you fluid intake.
  • An improper saddle fit or saddle height can pound on the prostate, leading to a frequent urge to urinate. Too low and you bounce at high cadence, too high and you rock on the prostate.

Proper pre-hydration means drink until you need to pee before the ride, and often within the first hour (they don't show this on TV in races).

Gatorade actually makes you drink more, by making you thirsty (this is the only way it is beneficial). If you urine volume is very high, it's just over-hydration, but , many low-volume pees means see a doctor. Sometimes, it's just a matter of training your bladder muscles back into shape (>40s) by stopping and starting the stream frequently. Aging is so elegant.