Sunday mornin' rides.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited February 2009 in The bottom bracket
Do you set your stall out to go at stupid o'clock in the mornin' or do you get up look out the winda see what the weather is like and think I'll go out in a bit?

When my children were children I was the former. Now I have the luxury of being able to pick and choose i fall int the latter.

Where do you fit?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I tend to set my alarm for day break most days throughout the year and determine then whether it is worth venturing out.It's one of the fe benefits of essentially wokring a part-time twilight shift at work. As my house backs right out onto the A183 and the North Sea I find it is a fair barometer of the conditions I'm likely to encounter.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I get up in time to get to the club run normally.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    All days the same - I get up and ....go out. Very occasionally I decide night before that I shan't (like tonight, frozen snow/ice decides for me!). Only a very few times p.a. that I decide against once I've looked out the window!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain
    All days the same - I get up and ....go out. Very occasionally I decide night before that I shan't (like tonight, frozen snow/ice decides for me!). Only a very few times p.a. that I decide against once I've looked out the window!
    d.j.
  • meagain
    d.j.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Why is everyone posting more than once?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly
    Why is everyone posting more than once?
  • redddraggon
    Because bikeradar is broke
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Because bikeradar is broke
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I normally just get up whenever i feel "recharged" enough, and then go out and do 4-5 hours.
    :lol:
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • 5am alarm, up and at 'em, come what may.
    Nice to have a good 4 hours in the legs, home for breakfast and then think what to do with the rest of the day, rather than having a ride in the middle of the day and not being able to make any big plans.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    In the Summer, I'm up and out between 7am-8am.

I tend to wait for it to warm up a bit in the winter as the thought of a 2" contact patch on ice does not fill my head with pleasant thoughts!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone dared to go out today then in the snow today? Half the roads are covered with a layer of snow here, melts quick enough but I don't know if it's safe today for road bikes?

Surely it's safe to ride over a dusting of snow?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    try it - and let us know how you get on...
  • Anonymous
    Nah I'll wait until someone else does ... ... ...
  • redddraggon
    The roads are fine, the paths aren't.

I walked to uni, it would have been far easier to cycle. Plenty of cyclists out on the roads.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Thats ok then.

Seems like the snow is going to be far less by end of the week, the worst tonight, a ft of snow on the pennines, gonna be a loooooong ride home on friday, probs be walking down hills.
  • antfly
    It depends where you are,it`s knee deep down south so there is no cycling there.There`s barely a sprinkling here but It will be icy off the main roads.Since coming off twice last month I don`t risk the ice anymore.
  • Anonymous
    I'm going to stick to A roads.

Maybe some B roads.
  • willhub wrote:
    Anyone dared to go out today then in the snow today? Half the roads are covered with a layer of snow here, melts quick enough but I don't know if it's safe today for road bikes?

Are you safe enough for the roads, that's the real question Will!!!!!!!

If I wasn't at work I'd be out, oh to have the life of a student :lol:
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

Are you safe enough for the roads, that's the real question Will!!!!!!!

If I wasn't at work I'd be out, oh to have the life of a student :lol:

Course I'm safe enough for the roads lol.

Just the conditions might be mad over the pennines and apparently where I live they have had 6" snow so far so might be worse over the other side.
  • The Snake Pass is closed, don't know about the Woodhead.

I drove over to Sheffield when we had snow a few weeks ago, if I were you I'd get the train home on Friday. It's not the safest right now........ It's the idiots that can't drive that you have to watch for.

The advice I was given when learning to ride a motorbike was if you have any doubt about the conditions, don't go.
  • Anonymous
    I don't doubt I'll have any problems up to ripponden, just abit further, I'm happy to walk down any hills if they appear to be snow covered.

I plan on setting off at 8 in the morning so have 8 hours to cover 66 miles. Cant afford the train, I'd rather stay here than get the train home at the moment.

I'll jot in a circuit incase the route really is not ridable, then I can just divert back to Manchester, I was looking on BBC travel news and it said the A62 was closed, well thats gone, so must be open again now, and Wednesday and Thursday the snow is supposed to die down.

My main worry is the tricomp tyres, apparently they are slippy in the wet, so was thinking may the Evo CX's have abit more grip to make it slightly safer.

I'm thinking of cycling up the A62 on wednesday just up to the pennines to see what conditions are like then coming back down.