Pitch or used 06 Enduro?

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have been saving for a Pitch Pro for a while now, but things at work aren't looking too good lately so i am having second thoughts spending that much at the moment and am thinking about getting a used frame. I'v found 3 06 Enduro frames on fleebay between £350 and £520. What would you guy's do? How dose the older frame handle compared to the Pitch?

Comments

• andyturner28
    Anyone? I'm very tempted by this one but not having ridden either i am a bit nervous about jumping in blind. Has anyone ridden both and can tell me which one would be best to ride? If the Pitch is better then i'll keep saving.
  • My mate has on 05 Enduro.Rides nicely,but I have never ridden a Pitch.
    To tell you the truth the Pitch looks very similar to the older Enduro.
    I guess the answer depends whether you have the other bits to complete the build,if you buy the frame.

The Pitch looks a abargain as a complete pacakage,if you add up the cost to otherwise buy the parts especially with the recent prce increase o RS and Shimano.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • andyturner28
    Yep i'v got all the other bits, i'll transfer all the bits over from my 456 and build it up again as and when i can afford to.
    Yeah the Pitch is fantastic value, and the idea was to buy that and keep both bikes pretty much as is with a few minor upgrades to the Pitch, but my hours at work have just been cut with more on the way, and it'll just take too long to save up. It's not all bad though, i have always wanted an older Enduro, i think they look bloody gorgeous. Dose anyone know the head and seat tube angles and BB height? Also what year did the new frame come out? Am i right in thinking it was late 07?

Cheers.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Personaly il go for the Pitch and good frame and spec and
    at leats you know where is been!

Friend of mine has the 05 Enduro dame good bike just changed the Forks and a few other bits and rides really nice.

Go for the Pitch all new bits and tecnology etc.

Only thing I let you know is that the Enduros most people used them for
    Downhill so make sure the frame is sound.
  • andyturner28
    Agreed i would still rather get the Pitch, but with work the way it is at the moment it's going to take ages to save up. Basically i just want a decent full suss before i find myself without a job, so at least when i am penniless i'll still have a nice bike to ride :wink: Not that my current ride isn't nice, in fact i still love it, i just want a bit more comfort for the old posterior :)
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    I use the 06 s-wo[rks enduro..It;s and all round bike..I stick mtubeless crossmax's and fox 32's and a 100mm stem for xc and swap that for 160mm bombers..36 spoke sunrim mtx wheels and a 70mm stem for trails such as afan..
    If you can be bothered you can change the angle of your dangle by swapping over your shock mount to make your head angle a bit slacker..I use the steeper one all the time.
    one thing...make sure you get teh reciept for the enduro if you go second hand due to the back chanstays having a weak spot.
    I have had one changed under wrranty already..great warranty though..5 years from date of purchase with the reciept.
    Pitch looks great but some of the compinents are a real compromise.
  • Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    The frame shap did change 07 like you said,Seen a couple of 06 Enduro frames on E bay but were from E bay shops not private sellers.May pay a bit more £ but should have a warranty of some sort,
  • What is the difference in weight between the S-Works and Elite? There is no info on the Spech site.
  • 06 Enduro, such a nice bike and that particular year is always the one people rave about. If I had the money I would be buying that bike off ebay myself I think.

Edit: Sorry just noticed it was frame only, still decent considering your getting the dhx5.0 fitted too, depends on if you'd rather have a full build or switch parts across and if your current parts would be ok for that frame.
  • Yep, can switch everything over.

I have read a couple of reviews that say the Elite is a heavy bike and not so good uphill. Concidering i currently have a steel framed 456, would i notice any difference uphill? Is the S Works frame much lighter?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The 04(expert) was voted "bike of the decade"by MBR last year,i owned one for 4 years,good bike,not as good as my 08(expert) though.The 05/06 were a bit heavier IIRC,which is why i didn't buy one and waited until the 08 model came out.One of the blokes i ride with has a completely upgraded 06 expert which is a couple of pounds heavier than mine,but non the less a great bike 8)
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I have seen a Pitch frame come up on ebay once of twice I think. I'm sure either would be fine, but isn't the Enduro heavier?
  • sniper68
    grumsta wrote:
    I have seen a Pitch frame come up on ebay once of twice I think. I'm sure either would be fine, but isn't the Enduro heavier?
    The Pitch is 2lbs heavier than the 07/08/09 enduro,not sure about the 06,probably similar weight
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Yeah I know its heavier than the current Enduro SL - but most ppl I have seen with the old style Enduros say they are at least about 35lbs (depends on the build etc of course)
  • sniper68
    grumsta wrote:
    Yeah I know its heavier than the current Enduro SL - but most ppl I have seen with the old style Enduros say they are at least about 35lbs (depends on the build etc of course)
    I thought they were more like 32/33?
  • grumsta wrote:
    Do you remember how much it went for?

I think my 456 weighs about 32-33lbs, so pretty much the same, and i can climb ok on that.
  • I've got a Pitch, and I'm a massive fan, came from a custom built 4inch travel Mountain cycles worth double the bubble and the Pitch is a far superior bike, keep an eye on eBay they're is a few coming up used now.

This is what MBR said about it in this months mag.

Verdict:

"With better performance than last months Enduro SL and a price tag of £1,000 less, the Pitch Pro is a storming deal. As susal, the specalized sus. works great - the FSR system tracks the ground as well as ever nd with the Fox shock it worked better through the troke than the specalized in house equivalent . The Ptich feels ready to ride straight out of the box and well balanced with the rockshock coil sprung Pike. Dependent on where you ride, this bike may be a little more than you need for everyday hacking as it is definitely capable of riding in the harshest of environments. For the price this is a superb bike and and when you consider it carries only a couple of pounds weight penalty over its more expensive big brother it seems like even more of a bargain." 10/10.

No brainer!! :)
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009
  • Ok guy's i have a choice between this one or this one Which has the better shock? I prefer coil forks finding them a lot plusher, dose the same apply to rear shocks? It comes with a 400x2.8 spring and weigh around 13 1/2 stone. Dose that sound about right? Also it sounds like the one with the coil shock has been very well looked after, and i don't like the fact the other guy has only posted the one picture, makes me ask what he is hiding?

As much as i like the Pitch i am just not in a position right now to save up another £600, and i literally don't know if i'll have a job in a couple of months. I was going to an Enduro at the beginning of last year anyway, but decided to stick with a HT a bit longer to gain experience.
  • sniper68
    Ok guy's i have a choice between this one or this one It comes with a 400x2.8 spring and weigh around 13 1/2 stone. Dose that sound about right?
    I hope not thats 189 pounds :lol::lol::lol:
    Seriously you pays yer money and takes yer chance with Fleabay.personally i'd go for any year Enduro(frame or bike)rather than a heavy and budget spec Pitch.I test rode a Pitch when trying to decide what to replace my 4 year old Enduro with,felt like a tractor.Just my opinion though.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    Ok guy's i have a choice between this one or this one It comes with a 400x2.8 spring and weigh around 13 1/2 stone. Dose that sound about right?
    I hope not thats 189 pounds :lol::lol::lol:
    Seriously you pays yer money and takes yer chance with Fleabay.personally i'd go for any year Enduro(frame or bike)rather than a heavy and budget spec Pitch.I test rode a Pitch when trying to decide what to replace my 4 year old Enduro with,felt like a tractor.Just my opinion though.
    Lol i don't know what that means ether, i am assuming it's a 400lb spring with a 2.8 inch eye to eye? I am seriously tempted by the coil one.
  • Well i've made him an offer, i'll let you know how it goes.
  • Iam interested in watching the cycle ride and the bike ride. I have seen a lot but but i have never tried it because of the fearness that the place look very hard to see itself .now the the model are very good and very felexible to ride.

===================================================

aslinsibel

Used Cars
  • aslinsibel wrote:
    Iam interested in watching the cycle ride and the bike ride. I have seen a lot but but i have never tried it because of the fearness that the place look very hard to see itself .now the the model are very good and very felexible to ride.

===================================================

aslinsibel

Used Cars
    What on earth are you on about? :?

Oh and as you probably noticed from my sig i went for the S Works Enduro with the DHX 5 coil.
    pbpic3016563.jpg

Took it to Afan on Sunday and Monday and absolutely love it. It flew over everything on the decents, especially the last 4 sections of Skyline, and it even climbs very well too :D We also bumped into a guy with a Pitch pro and he wasn't too impressed with it, saying it was horible on the climbs. And reading in this months MBR that they think it's one of the best all mountain frames ever made made me very happy :D
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    good to see you got the enduro. just to let you know on previous questions, my 06 expert is approx 34.5 lbs. something you tend to have to winch uphill rather than pedal but so much better on the way down!!

you wont regret buying that bike. they are a whole lot of fun!! i would put some 36's on the front though!! :D:D
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • clarkson wrote:
    good to see you got the enduro. just to let you know on previous questions, my 06 expert is approx 34.5 lbs. something you tend to have to winch uphill rather than pedal but so much better on the way down!!

you wont regret buying that bike. they are a whole lot of fun!! i would put some 36's on the front though!! :D:D
    Oh yeah it's so much fun downhill :D I am amazed at how well it climbs though, i mean we did the Afan White's Level climb twice in one day with no problems at all, but on the 456 last year that climb was a complete bitch and i was completely knackered the rest of the trail, and it was a mirrical i didn't crash on the final DH section. I beleve the S Works is slightly lighter than the Expert so maybe that is why i am having more fun climbing :)

I need to get a new seat post for mine, what is the exact size i need for it? I knicked the one off my Dads Giant Boulder and measured it at 30mm, but i always thought Giant post's are 31.2 :?
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    yer the s-works is made of a lighter alloy than mine. they are brillaint fun though. and yer they make you feel invincible downhill dont they?!

the seatpost on mine is 30.9mm. with a 34.9mm collar.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • clarkson wrote:
    yer the s-works is made of a lighter alloy than mine. they are brillaint fun though. and yer they make you feel invincible downhill dont they?!

the seatpost on mine is 30.9mm. with a 34.9mm collar.
    Thanks mate!