Meta 5.5.2 any good XC?

wings988
wings988 Posts: 106
edited February 2009 in XC and Enduro
I'm planning on getting a full sus bike (under £2k) which will be used for XC trails like red route at Cannock Chase and other routes around the Debyshire peaks and some flat trails. Is the Commencal Meta 5.5.2 a suitable bike, the reviews I've read here seem to indicate so but then it appears to be maybe an all mountain set-up. Would I be better off with a Specialzed Stuntjumper Elite or Trek EX8.0?

Cheers
:D

Comments

• If I was looking at a long travel XC/All Mountain ish type bike I would go for the Trance X on pure value. But then with 2k I would get a Lapierre Zesty or Pace RC405. Just to confuse you a little more :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    wings988 wrote:
    I'm planning on getting a full sus bike (under £2k) which will be used for XC trails like red route at Cannock Chase
    The 5.5.2 might be slightly OTT for FtD but for longer rides on the Chase and elsewhere it is a fantastic bike - I nearly bought one last year.

Merlin are doing them for for £1700.
  • haynes1
    haynes1 Posts: 156
    im thinking of gettin the meta 5.5.2 to do the same sort of riding
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    I got a 5.5.2 from Merlin just after Christmas in their sale (shade over 1500 notes). I'd say I do similar riding, from local flatish tracks to Glentress and the like. Very happy with it so far. Not noticeably harder on the uphills than my old Trance and it can be locked out for road climbs etc. Weight's not bad at all for the travel.

Still waiting a free weekend to go and destroy myself on the downhills!

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I take my Meta XT to Cannock Chase quite often, works out very nicely, very fun inspiring trail bike :) The track doesn't require full sus by a long shot, it's not hindered by it either though, there's also quite a lot of sneaky home made trails all over there, some of them can be a bit more testing. Phase 2 is also being built at the moment which promises to be a bit rougher.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If I were you I would buy a Merlin Cycles own build Meta 5.5 for £1709.10, this has to be about the best value quality bike there is.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have had one for a while (07 5.5.2 and 08 5.5 VIP custom)
    Lovely stuff.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    go for the merlin :D
  • I have a 08 meta vip it is an awesome machine , all the reviews i have read are true uphills are no probs but when you point it downhills it excells really does feel like a lot more travel on the rear ,i do most of my riding at glentress and it is perfect for any of the trails there .
    Commencal meta 55 vip