carbon wheels

halfwheeler
halfwheeler Posts: 29
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,
born again bikers first post.
Fancying a set of aero wheels for TTs and maybe cat4 RR's this year. Anybody got any reviews on these.
Grammo Viper 50T. Seem light and well priced, but don't know much about carbon wheels.
Any ideas on alternatives appreciated!

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    A very similar handbuilt carbon wheelset can be had from Wheelsmith for nearly £200 less using the popular and well respected Gigantex rims, CX Ray spokes and Goldtech hubs. The spokes will be more aero than those on the Grammo and they come up lighter too. That would be my choice if I was going for tubs. You'll get wheels built by a pro instead of a machine, better spokes, better hubs, and chances are they are exactly the same rims. Loads of manufacturers use those Gigantex rims with their own stickers on including Planet X, Token, FFWD, Pro-lite, Edge etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if those Grammos are the same.

Are you sure you want tubs though?
  • Thanks for the info. Makes me think if thay are all the same, why the big difference in price? Is it a bling thing. Grew up using tubs and sprints in the 70's, so a natural choice, although the clinchers are easier to fix. Views on the forum vary as to the pros and cons of tubs & clinchers.
  • System wrote:
    A very similar handbuilt carbon wheelset can be had from Wheelsmith for nearly £200 less using the popular and well respected Gigantex rims, CX Ray spokes and Goldtech hubs. The spokes will be more aero than those on the Grammo and they come up lighter too. That would be my choice if I was going for tubs. You'll get wheels built by a pro instead of a machine, better spokes, better hubs, and chances are they are exactly the same rims. Loads of manufacturers use those Gigantex rims with their own stickers on including Planet X, Token, FFWD, Pro-lite, Edge etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if those Grammos are the same.

Are you sure you want tubs though?

Bizarre! These are the exact wheels I've ordered from Wheelsmith myself.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!