MONDAY 2nd - who'se still commuting

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
I've managed to not take the car to work all January but with the weather forecast as it is I'm afraid I've put some survival gear in the Landy and I'll be driving. Even if it still looks ok first thing, the suggestions are that there be a significant downfall during the day so it's just not worth it I guess.

Of those of you who also have the choice, what have you decided??

DM

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I may take my MTB.
  • I've decided that for my commute, in bad weather it is always faster by bike than by car: things just snarl up so much on the roads. However, my road bike is currently out of action so I'll be on my old trusty MTB. This has got semi-slicks on at the moment: any advice on whether I should put the knobblies back on tonight?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Am I the only one who's hoping there'll be a country-wide SNOW DAY?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Probably not if the forecast on metcheck is to be believed. Shame really as I really want a recovery ride after today's HOTA outing
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • It's already snowed here in Essex... I am back on the bike this week come hell or high water!
  • Ok, you guys who are going out on two wheels take care. We don't want you to have an "off" and be using other forms of transport for weeks.

Personally, I'm not prepared to take the risk.

DM
  • A snow day would be lovely but I doubt it's gonna happen somehow.

Dunno what I'll do. I really detest public transport at the moment, and you know it all goes to sh*te whenever a flake of snow falls. I will see how it goes in the morning - all my main roads should be gritted. And if it does get worse during the day, I can always leave the bike at work if I have to.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    there's snow in Manchester but I'm having a go - that's what the MTB is for
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The amber warning lights have been up and down my road earlier tonight but no snow yet in Brizzle. Going to play in the trees at work tomorrow, should be fun if it snows.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I'm hoping to ride in as last time I bottled it when it snowed and then cursed myself after seeing what just appeared to be wet main roads and in town (London) you'd have hardly known it had snowed!

Might leave a bit early to allow for a more gentle pace tho
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • No sign of gritters in Stockwell...will check out the main roads when I take the dog for a walk before work tomorrow. I know what Bassjunkie means, snow does struggle to settle in central London.
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Went out on the MTB today in the snow storm, it was top fun. Just a word of warning, watch out for car drivers still doing 40 mph in a 30 zone and wondering why when they hit the brakes the car slides all over the place and doesn't stop!! The MTB was awesome, not sure i would have used a road bike in it though????
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    baser wrote:
    Just a word of warning, watch out for car drivers still doing 40 mph in a 30 zone and wondering why when they hit the brakes the car slides all over the place and doesn't stop!!

Exactly.......

A few days off the bike won't hurt...... ride the bike and come off...a few weeks/months off.

There have been loads of cyclists from here and other forums off on the ice this winter...many have been off the bike for weeks...... use your heads..... ! It's not worth it.
  • I totally agree but, sadly, my commute is the highlight of my day ATM and it is frustrating if you don't ride and find all the road surfaces no more than damp :(
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    If it's deep enough in the morning I'm going to walk up the hill carrying my skis :))

If not I'll cycle to work and rush back if it snows... then walk up the hill with my skis.

Unless I can convince Mrs P to drive me up the hill :)
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    An inch already in West London, looking dodgy, I didn't ride in Fridya so my legs are screaming for a ride.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I went out on the best bike Saturday, gave my legs/body a battering, knowing I had a high chance I'd be off the bike Mon/Tues, because of the weather :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Presently looks like the train. The British don't know how to drive in the snow, so I'm a bit reluctant. See what it looks like in the morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    At least my bike is broke at the moment.

I went up Kinder today, and the snow started falling heavily on afew occasions.

At least I gave my legs a workout, even if running up hills uses different muscles.

This bicycle-commuting lark has certainly improved my aerobic fitness for the running up hills.
  • Kaydee
    Kaydee Posts: 16
    For the first time ever, I managed to ride in every day last week. I'm not prepared to risk it tomorrow or Tuesday though, the forecast is too bad. As others have said, discretion is the better part of valour, and I'll wait for conditions to improve. Not looking forward to the inevitable delays on the trams - they really are rubbish :(
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Snowing here in London. I ride a cross bike so I am tempted to try it anyway but a mate just texted me to say he cycled home tonight and came off twice. So think I might give it a miss if it doesn' disapear overnight (which is looking unlikely). I'm going skiing in a month and don't want to risk any injuries.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Just been out for a wander and there's about 2 inches on the ground right now and it's due to snow on and off all night. Could be 6 inches plus by commuting time.
  • Well, despite my earlier bravado, I have just spent nearly 3 hours on the road trying to get back to London. There's 5" of snow, more in places.

I made it all the way to the top of the m11, usually takes me 20 minutes, took an hour, only to be told to go back unless it was a 'medical emergency' to avoid the 'carnage' on the m11. That was the official line from the old bill.

So I turned round and went home, only to have to abandon my car on the lane I live on because I couldn't get it up a hill. Oh I tried. It's a short, very steep hill with a right-angle bend at the bottom of it.

So I limped home. Maybe tomorrow. :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Anyone living in or around London, I've just heard all London buses are cancelled for Monday 2nd Feb.

just picked this up of another forum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • prj45
    Most trains are out too.

Five inches out there and it's stil coming down.

I'm going to give it a go though, a nice slow ride through a vacant snowy london should be good.
  • great fun this morning. a good 6 inches of snow, not enjoyed the commute that much in years. Love the silence :)
  • prj45
    great fun this morning. a good 6 inches of snow, not enjoyed the commute that much in years. Love the silence :)

That's encouraging.

I'm on skinny tyres though so this will be a first for me.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Cyclo cross tyres would be excellent or 1.95 on a 26".

Mind you maybe ok getting in but getting home may be another thing. Reckon on 20cm of snow later today :shock:

Come on people don't be silly stay indoors.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not a chance. Itching to get out on the MTB, but not for a 32 mile round trip.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ARGH! A very thick covering everywhere to be seen down in Croydon!
    I don't know what the main roads are like but I might need to take the wife's hybrid out just for the wider tyres!!

Gonna go grab some warm clothes and go for a reccy
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5