MTB disc brakes and Flying

garetjax
garetjax Posts: 175
edited February 2009 in MTB general
I want to take my bike abroad by air.

Is there an issue with mountain bike disc brakes and flying? I cant remember where I read it, but I have this vague memory that it's a problem.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    No.
  • Disc brakes don't fly, just like pigs....
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gas cartridges - yes - never heard anything about disk brakes ?
  • Mattmanic
    Mattmanic Posts: 234
    Something to do with brake fluid mabe?
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • Get a decent bike bag, get some decent bubble wrap, get an old broom handle, measure the distance between your fork legs and chainstays, cut the broom handle to those two sizes, get some wood screws and washers, brace your fork legs and chainstays with the wood, deflate your air shock (if you have one), wrap your bike in bubblewrap, put it in the bike bag, chuck in a couple of inner tubes and maybe a chain, remove your wheel skewers, deflate your tyres, stick the wheels in either the wheel bags or the pockets in the bike bag with the discs to the inside, zip the bag closed, lock it, walk to the fridge, open the fridge, grab a beer, close the fridge, open the beer, sit in a comfy chair, drink the beer, relax - you're now sorted.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Aven ... -14059.htm

I'm off to Morzine in July with my mates and this is the bag I got.
    SJS Cycles show it as being £65 inc delivery, but they also sell them via ebay.
    I managed to pick one up via their ebay shop for £43 inc delivery.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    I read a good few years ago that Easyjet did have restrictions on bikes with disc brakes and some MTB group/charity type organisation helped lift this restriction. It was an advert and they were asking for direct debit donations...
  • KB8 wrote:
    I read a good few years ago that Easyjet did have restrictions on bikes with disc brakes and some MTB group/charity type organisation helped lift this restriction. It was an advert and they were asking for direct debit donations...

You'll pay an extra £35 to Easyjet to take the bike. This ups your baggage limitation from 20kg to 35kg, which, given that your bike in its bag will weigh at least 20kg, means that you'll have to pack creatively!
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    I've already priced up our flights to Morzine. Going to use BA again. They allow you to take up to 51lbs in a single checked-in item - which will be bike bag + clothes! It's an extra £25 if you go over this, or if you need another checked-in item.

Re: Avenir bag. I have the non-wheels version. Hate to say this, but, it was a load of arse. Flimsy. No pockets for tools. No seperate wheel bags. Was torn on arrival after first use.

Bought CRC branded bag from CRC (of course). It's similar to this, but was cheaper and with better wheel bags. No idea why CRC no longer list it.

I went to my LBS and they helped me out with frame spacers. Got a plastic fork spacer, and they had a knackered hub for the rear. All for no cost. They were going to chuck them anyway.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    Great response and very useful.

Never took the bike abroad before some good tips there. Good bike bag - i'll get one.

I'm off to Austria to do the Merida event there. I'll probably go with Ryanair from Stanstead.
  • mcbazza wrote:
    I've already priced up our flights to Morzine. Going to use BA again. They allow you to take up to 51lbs in a single checked-in item - which will be bike bag + clothes! It's an extra £25 if you go over this, or if you need another checked-in item.

Re: Avenir bag. I have the non-wheels version. Hate to say this, but, it was a load of ars*. Flimsy. No pockets for tools. No seperate wheel bags. Was torn on arrival after first use.

Bought CRC branded bag from CRC (of course). It's similar to this, but was cheaper and with better wheel bags. No idea why CRC no longer list it.

I went to my LBS and they helped me out with frame spacers. Got a plastic fork spacer, and they had a knackered hub for the rear. All for no cost. They were going to chuck them anyway.

My friend bought the CRC one and it arrived already obliterated. The hard base was splintered and broken and one of the wheels was missing, so I suppose they all do a job to a greater or lesser extent.