New Forum Section

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited February 2009 in Pro race
Would anyone post or use a separate amateur race section as distinct from the current race section which has quite a different theme, in that its much more a spectator forum rather than a participator (unless there are a whole bunch of pro riders posting in here!)

Comments

• I'd certainly use a forum like that.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    But we already had a separate "Race" and "Pros" forum and it didn't work. The "Pro" forum was removed only about 4 months ago.

Problem was the moderators didn't enforce that posts about professional cycling went in the right area so we just ended up with a load of double posts and the "Pros" forum was very under used as a result.

The only way it will work is if there are full-time moderators moving incorrectly placed posts and moaning at people - which all sounds a bit too "Veloriders" to me. :wink:
  • Maybe, hence the suggestion of adding the word amateur in there somewhere....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Prefer not - there are already too many sub sections of the forum.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Bronzie wrote:
    But we already had a separate "Race" and "Pros" forum and it didn't work. The "Pro" forum was removed only about 4 months ago.
    This was because the old C+ forum was "Race" and that's where we debated pro cycling. No one had the habit of talking about pro cycling in "Pro", there were tumbleweed and cobwebs blowing around in there. So you could try it again, so long as a mod was willing to spend time policing the topics.
  • Prefer not - there are already too many sub sections of the forum.
    +1
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Prefer not - there are already too many sub sections of the forum.

+2..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Seems reasonable to me. The current race column seems totally absorbed with Lance
    and doping. Not much stuff of any real use there. I can see amateur racers using and needing an advice column.

Dennis Noward
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Whats up Dennis? I'm finding myself agreeing with you more and more recently, either I'm getting old or your on them sensible pills again! :lol:

Its a yes from me.

Needs to be obvious that its for amateur racers though, not wannabe pros telling us how the real pros should be doing it. (Unless as you mention Steve, all the clean pro racers do post on here, in which case I appologise).
  • Amateur racing posts tend to pop up in other categories such as training or beginners. If there's not to be a new category then maybe relabling one would help e.g. "Training and Racing". Hijacking training may not be the best solution but something that diverted the amateur racing posts into one folder would be good
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    batch78 wrote:
    Whats up Dennis? I'm finding myself agreeing with you more and more recently, either I'm getting old or your on them sensible pills again! :lol:

Its a yes from me.

Oh my god, someone agreeing with me. Where have I gone wrong. :wink::wink:
    You're probably right about getting older and pretty soon you'll be taking those pills too.
    I'm sure I would never come close to passing a "PRO" drug test these days.

Dennis Noward
  • One of thes reasons I ask is that frankly I cant be bothered to look in race about amateur racing as its so full of the pro scene and who is doping who, which doesn't interest me in the slightest, sadly I am more interested in who with the rudy project series and how the tuesday track leagues went....the point about posting it in training is valid. Also, I'd wager that more people take part in TT's and RR's as amateur mebers of clubs than ride the track, and it has its own perfectly justifiable section.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Yes. Just started racing and enjoying it. However seeing all the posts about drugs this and that just puts a downer on the whole area so tend not to bother to look in the "race" section much.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • One of thes reasons I ask is that frankly I cant be bothered to look in race about amateur racing as its so full of the pro scene and who is doping who, which doesn't interest me in the slightest, sadly I am more interested in who with the rudy project series and how the tuesday track leagues went....the point about posting it in training is valid. Also, I'd wager that more people take part in TT's and RR's as amateur mebers of clubs than ride the track, and it has its own perfectly justifiable section.

+1 on that.

It's my first season racing and I would love to have an amateur forum to be able to discuss up and coming races/courses etc

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I would find a amateur race section useful. I need more tips than a warehouse full of snooker cues.

Although a hardened commuter and social cyclist of many years I had a go at racing and TT's for the first time last year. There are guys I can beat in a TT who cruise through the races and finish comfortably in the pack whilst I'm being date raped by the broomwagon.

I need to know why so bring it on!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • The forum needs a Lance Armstrong section. This would improve every other section immensely.
  • 82% Yes so far - if it was ask the audience I'd be going with that answer.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yup, I think the forum could do with an ameture race section. Emphasis on the amaeture part. I'm brand new to this road racing scene (did my first race today, actually) and obviously need more than 1 or 2 pointers in the right direction...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I'm in favour in some sort of division.... training +am racing section (just retitled) would suffice perhaps

the other option is start am threads in this section and change its character?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I'm in favour in some sort of division.... training +am racing section (just retitled) would suffice perhaps

the other option is start am threads in this section and change its character?

Enough people on this forum probably race to justify it's own section i'd say. Like someone said in previous posts there's a track section, and you're certainly in a minority to have access to those types of facilities.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    The training section suffers too much from bullsh*t "Is my heart rate too high" questions. Personally I'd like a UK racing section to talk about amateur/elite racing and not just questions about 4th cats starting out for the first time, although that would also be welcome. Not sure, though, how many people on here race E12s and Prems
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • After all there is a complete website 100% dedicated to time trialling and its a pretty busy board!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I voted yes. There isn't really another forum for amateur racing in the uk.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ste_S wrote:
    No I don't race, or do any of the Jobs required in a race organisation, any more.

Yes I am a poster that only spectates races at Home and Abroad and as I put my time and some money into the "Sport", then I feel entitled to be here.

You don't know what Amateur Cycle Racing is.
    It is as obsolete as me.
    ie. Pro's, Elite's, Under 23's, Juniors and Boy's. I havn't forgotten the LADIES.

Time was when Amateurs Only rode the Olympics (plus eastern Bloc Pro's, ie they were paid by the various military's)

You seem to need to join a cycling club to be able to chat about your endeavours.
    I won't vote on something this Trivial.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Ste_S
    edited February 2009
    Err, late night on the beer deejay ? You seemed quite worked up about something, not sure what though....
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Ste_S wrote:

veloriders?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Ste_S
    May of been in the past, probably not so much now
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "May have"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Ste_S
    Bit of a frustrated teacher thing going on there ?