Upavon Winter Series

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Any other forummers riding these in Feb? Sat mornings 09:00 entries on line, details on the BC website.

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I may do the last one of the series. (4 cat) Fellow rider (2 cat) (non-forummer) is doing the lot.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Gonna try and make some of them
  • Watch out for the flying Pontypool RCC then! Not!
  • huggy
    Went today, completely blew up after 5 laps. Didn't know I was racing until last night so I was in the gym all friday afternoon - so I bonked after about 35 mins and had to stop, damn annoying. Hopefully gonna return soon a bit better prepared. I was in the yellow jersey and black specialized.
  • First one for me is the 7th Feb. That's another couple of weeks rehearsal like todays club chain gang of pain...

Huggy what kind if average speed were you hammering along at? 25-27 ish?
  • huggy
    I was in Cat 3/4 group - started off going about 30mph, then up the rise mid 20s. After that nasty warm up, about 26 - 30, there were constant breaks going out so lots of chasing. I got dropped and started working with some other dropees, doing about 25, not catching the peleton.

However, they started way too fast and in the end the average was probably about 25, although everything split up and went to pieces, elites drafting cat 4s and no real bunch in the final laps. I think the best thing to do is get a position at the front from the start and try and stay there for the first 30 mins, if you tag on the back you're very likely to get dropped. The hill thing there is merciless after a few laps also.
  • It's windy which is the ard bit i guess. need to get in the bunch at the front. Sounds like a good winter workout!

are you doing any more of them?
  • huggy
    Deffo a good workout!!! Gonna try and get to more but not sure yet, probs ones at the end of feb I can get to.

Also, use really tough tyres, there were quite a few punctures on saturday as it's very gritty on the circuit. That's another reason not to stay at the back, it all goes in your face.
  • Thanks for the tip-off. Got a new set of fortezza tricomps so ought to be ok.
  • Planning on riding this coming sat, never raced there before. Sounds like there is a nasty drag/climb??
  • huggy
    Yep, ok for the first couple of laps, drag gets you on the last few. It's basically a short climb bit then a drag up to the finish line.
  • huggy
    How did it go?
  • I see my mate from RFDCC won saturdays race, wel done Colin Parry. I might be there next sat, more likely the 13th. I cant shift this godammn cough quick enough
  • Was fun, rode the 3/4 race, windy as hell! 32mph one way, 16-17mph the other!
    Spent most of the race off the front, but a snapped spoke 3 laps from finish saw me caught, changed wheel and chased to get back on, attacked again with the winner of the previous weeks race coming with me, stayed away but didnt have the legs to sprint so pipped to second!

Great circuit tho, the little climb/drag makes it interesting!
  • Was fun, rode the 3/4 race, windy as hell! 32mph one way, 16-17mph the other!
    Spent most of the race off the front, but a snapped spoke 3 laps from finish saw me caught, changed wheel and chased to get back on, attacked again with the winner of the previous weeks race coming with me, stayed away but didnt have the legs to sprint so pipped to second!

Great circuit tho, the little climb/drag makes it interesting!
  • huggy
    Nice one, you must have been doing a fair bit of training over winter?
  • erm, not a massive amount. I only really started riding again a few months back after 5 years off riding/racing, but i've been quite lucky with my work patern recently so i've been able to get 3 good rides in a week, and a little on the turbo. Not doing silly hours or miles but I know what works best for me.
    The race was quite reassuring as it showed 5 years off hasnt had any negative effects and that I seem to be doing the right stuff!

Shame this sats race was cancelled, dont think i'll get to the next one, should be good for the one after tho!
  • Im there on Saturday weather permitting. Should be 4 of us from my club so will be interesting.
  • Not gonna be there this week :( already entered the spring pursuit, dont know why, upavon is a lot closer!
  • triboy222
    triboy222 Posts: 217
    Anyone done any of the summer series?

Is it still gritty and a case for not using your best wheels?

Just how bad is the hill? Worse than Thruxton's drag upto the cicanes?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Steve I seem to remember you being from Wales, is it near cardiff?

I'm looking for some races to do this summer back in Wales and can't find any nearby!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson