Will the weather conditions make my jounry hard?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hi.

On Friday I'm planning on cycling back to York, but this annoying cold snap is coming back tomorrow.

It's 64 miles, goes to the top of the pennines and then there is the really fast decent to huddersfield, now if I take it careful will I be safe? I presume they may grit that road too?

Also at the moment I have Tricomp Quattro tyres on, they are apparently slippy in the went so due to the nature of this route would it be best if I switch to my Evo CX's or even my GP4000's, if they would make it safer?

I may have mudguards on so I guess any wet should not bother me, my main concern is slipperiness and of course wind chill.

It seems quite a risky route but maybe some people who use these roads regular might have an idea?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• If you're using A-Roads, then you should be OK, they'll have been gritted.
    However, if we get the snow as predicted, it might be a different story. Get your knobblies on!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Anonymous
    If you're using A-Roads, then you should be OK, they'll have been gritted.
    However, if we get the snow as predicted, it might be a different story. Get your knobblies on!

Would it be impassible with normal tyres like GP4000?

Maybe if I plan another route avoiding the pennines? Although to do that probs would be impossible as it would mean me going down Birmingham way and clocking up over 200 miles?
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    Which route do you intend to take ? Most roads will be clear unless conditions are awful in which case riding would be foolish. Remember to dress warm as its much windier riding over the tops and make sure you have spare tubes as no bike shops up there ! I would check that roads are clear and you should be OK but if there is ice/black about catch the train would be my advice
  • Anonymous
    allen wrote:
    Which route do you intend to take ? Most roads will be clear unless conditions are awful in which case riding would be foolish. Remember to dress warm as its much windier riding over the tops and make sure you have spare tubes as no bike shops up there ! I would check that roads are clear and you should be OK but if there is ice/black about catch the train would be my advice

I go up oldham road to oldham, then onto ripponden road up to a place called Denshaw, then turning righe I go up the A640 new hay road into huddersfield, then from huddersfield I take some climbs out that take me to Wakefield past Emily moor.
  • allen
    When you have climbed out of Denshaw and you get to the top why not turn R down to Barkisland and on down. Straight on through West Vale head for Brighouse and A58 to Leeds and A64 ( or back roads if you know them) to York. BTW watch the wind going over if it gusting then take care. I think it really depends on how the weather pans out. If its dry and cold then the roads will just be dusty but if wet and freezing then really take care of icy patches. The tops up there on no place to end up lying at the side of the road.
  • willhub wrote:
    [I go up oldham road to oldham, then onto ripponden road up to a place called Denshaw, then turning righe I go up the A640 new hay road into huddersfield, then from huddersfield I take some climbs out that take me to Wakefield past Emily moor.

The ride up from Denshaw on the A640 will take you up over Buckstones Moor which is high and exposed. If it snows heavily, it could be closed. I remember riding over there on my MTB one winter a few years ago and their was nothing in Huddersfield but 1 foot of snow up there. It was a white out with blizzard conditions. They had closed the road. Light snow showers are forecast from now right through til at least 4.00 pm tomorrow with possible heavy snow to follow.
  • Anonymous
    Any route I could do that would get me to York with similar distance and safeish routes that will be passable?
  • Well, the AA and other organisations are recommending car drivers not take any unnecessary journeys over this weekend. the forecast for the east coast is blizzards, drifting snow and windchill down to sub artic levels.

I think tyre choice is the wrong thing to worry about. Leave it for better conditions.

Oops, just realised you are talking about next friday.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Silly question really - none of us know what the roads will be like on Friday.

IF there is snow on the road - then I wouldnt even contemplate it. If its just cold - then you should be OK - but err on the side of caution. If you do that distance regularly then you should be ok. If you're pushing it, then it may not be wise to ride over the Pennines.
  • Anonymous
    cougie wrote:
    Silly question really - none of us know what the roads will be like on Friday.

IF there is snow on the road - then I wouldnt even contemplate it. If its just cold - then you should be OK - but err on the side of caution. If you do that distance regularly then you should be ok. If you're pushing it, then it may not be wise to ride over the Pennines.

Yea I do the distance regular, pretty easy ride, just getting up to the top is abit tough.

Wonder if there is any sites that may have info about the roads around there and say if they are closed? Would be better than cycling up there to find I have to turn back.
  • allen
    Wonder if there is any sites that may have info about the roads around there and say if they are closed? Would be better than cycling up there to find I have to turn back

AA Roadwatch list problems. Be best to check there
  • Anonymous
    allen wrote:
    Wonder if there is any sites that may have info about the roads around there and say if they are closed? Would be better than cycling up there to find I have to turn back

AA Roadwatch list problems. Be best to check there

So if no problems for the road is reported on there it is likely to be safe?

I guess I'll have to plan a circuit in case the road is closed and I have to come back to manchester.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Manchester....Woodhead.....Sheffield then up toward York ??
  • Anonymous
    fossyant wrote:
    Manchester....Woodhead.....Sheffield then up toward York ??

I might consider that.

At the moment this is what I've got:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=3896

I looked on the AA website and they said M62 junction near A640 is covered with snow, but I guess that will be sorted by then as it will be gritted no?

It's covered with snow outside at the moment, I'd be cautious going out even in Manchester but I'd be ok if I knew they where gritting.

Maybe I should just use the A62 to Huddersfield? I remember my dad coming back from Manchester on that and it seemed a good ride, some steep climbs, nice and windy, surely gritted as it's one of the main roads from Manchester to Huddersfield.
  • allen
    Having just driven over the M62. Temp was minus 3 and extremely snowy. Might be a touch dodgy at the moment
  • Anonymous
    Yea, I was going to have a ride up the A640 up to the turn off to Saddleworth road and I have to turn back at Oldham as it was rapidly getting thicker and roads where getting less clear.

Hardly any snow in the city center now but you go about 1-2 miles out, a couple inches snow then when you get about 7 miles to oldham and 200meters up you are getting up to half a ft or more of snow!
  • According to tonight's Huddersfield Examiner, A62, A640, A6024 and A635 are all closed over the Pennines. Problems with drifting and heavy snow.
  • Anonymous
    I just looked on traffic news on BBC site and apparently the A640 New Hay road is closed, is this just an error? Hardly any slow last night surely? Cant be that bad? I'm wanting to cycle into the pennines today and I need to on Sunday to cycle home.