Superstar Components?????

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
-Superstar Brake pads (sintered for M4), 25quid for 4 seems cheap, as they are generally 15quid each!

- Superstar HT2 Bottom brackets (ceramic or normal), ?

- Superstar Chainrings?? And will they fit onto XT Hollowtech 2???

Anyone had any experience with the above?

Thanks

Comments

• The pads are good, I've used a set on my Juicy 3s and have just got a set for my Stroker Carbons. From what I've read, they don't last as long as manufacturers own, but who cares, it takes 2 minutes to change them, and at £6 a set for sintered, they can afford to last half as long!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I use the magura pads and dont find them any different to the genuine thing.

Plus if you buy on ebay they are cheaper than buying from superstar direct... well they are for mine anyway, only by .50p

But hey 50 is 50
  • I've used Superstar many times, I'm running a set of their Fatty Flats platform pedals at the moment and they are excellent.
    Some people bad mouth the company for what seems to be no real reason, but I can't complain. Their products are excellent value for money and that's all that matters to me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... i-bb-33803
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    i use superstar brake pads - just as good as the original Hayes ones that came with my bike. And at the price they are, you cant really say anything bad about them.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I've just attached my saddle to a superstar carbon seatpost and it is fantastic quality the postage is free and quick too! and by the way hitchen92 beautiful maxlight! I've nearly finished my xc>120 custom build nice work!
  • Haha,
    Buying superstar pads is asking for trouble! Poor quality delaminating crap. Goodridge sintered are the best pad ive used...last for ages and never had a set delaminate!
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have been using superstar pads for a while, and never had a problem.

Plus, ok if they wear down a bit faster, and I am not saying they do, they are almost a 5iver, so you can buy 3 for the same price as you goodridge ones.

Each to there own.

Buy a pair and see how you get on, if you dont like then dont buy again, you have only lost a few quid.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Well I've used the pads for about a year or so now, and well they're cheap.

I think i've had 12 pairs now, 8 jucies and 4 codes. All the jucies were fine apart from one pair, they had a little corner of the braking surface broken away when they arrived. I always meant to send them back but forgot until they were the last ones I had left, fitted them and within one ride the surface broke off! But I've bought more and they've been fine.

The Codes however! out of four pairs 3 of them have rusted and the braking surface fall off! Usually when fitting the wheel. Sent them all back the other day and got told that mine were of a bad batch and they replaced them all no-questions-asked with new and improved ones (slightly different design) so I'm gonna see how they work out.

Hope they're good because I can get through a pair a day if it's wet in the alps!
  • Hope the Superstars are good as I've just ordered 4 pairs of the sintered pads for my juicy 5's off ebay £23.....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've gone through about 6 pairs in the last 12 months (some due to oil contamination :oops: ), still think the Avid pads are better, but definitely not 3 times better. The delamination issue seems to be historical, certainly not had it happen to me.

I've just discovered the sintered pads, might last a bit longer but for £ 6 a pair who cares.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I've just started a thread asking if their £25 carbon seatpost is any good..... cheap as.....
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    I bought a normal Superstar HT ll Bottom bracket as a replacement on my Rockhopper just before i sold it. The bearings in the cups didn't feel the smoothest and i doubt they'd last too long. But for the price, you can't complain.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Had several sets of pads delaminate so stopped buying them, impressed with the HTII ceramic BB though, it's lasted well and is very smooth (although it failed pretty fast in a recent mag test so may have the same QC issues as the pads).
  • i've been buying the pads for a while now on the 4th set and had no problems they work well
  • had about 4 sets of pad all worked fine with no problems
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Used them on my DH bike , worked fine for 2 weeks in whistler, did one full pad change halfway through and one at the top of rainbow mountain. Great pads.

1 set did however delaminate on my local trail about a month ago though. But 1 set out of about 10 i have got through is acceptable.

I think they have a new supplier now though so the problem is no more!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I've been using Superstar pads for well over a year.

No, they don't last as long as OEM pads, but for the price they still offer much better value for money.

As for performance, they work just as well as OEM.

They can be a little harder to fit and when fitted initially they can catch the disc. I think this is due to them being a fraction bigger than OEM. Within 10 miles they are bedded in and work perfectly.

The issues some have had with delamination of the pad material etc seem to have been particular batch problems as it is certainly not that common. I have heard that Superstar customer service is excellent and they are happy to exchange faulty components.

Superstar do frequent this forum, so it is possible to PM them from here.

I have also started using road pads from them, which are quieter and perform as well (if not better) than the Shimano OEM.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • I bought a normal Superstar HT ll Bottom bracket as a replacement on my Rockhopper just before i sold it. The bearings in the cups didn't feel the smoothest and i doubt they'd last too long. But for the price, you can't complain.

You can if they only last one ride, as has happened to someone I know
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have used their pads for 2 winters in very wet and muddy conditions,I would say they perform well and the wear rate is about average !
  • can't fault them. The original pads in my Juicy 5s lasted about 6-8 weeks. Bought 4 pairs of sintered Superstar ones and still have one pair left 5 months later.

I may have been using my brakes a lot more when i first got the bike until i became more confident, which might have worn the originals down a bit quicker.
  • i used them over a year ago and they fell to bits and i said never again but as things are tight a bit at the minute i gave them another try and i think they are a lot better now
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Had to file the pads down to get them to fit. Some of the braking surface came away when fitting.
  • I've had a pair of their M4 pads for the last 3 months. No probs.

Their £19.95 HTII bottom bracket didn't get a good review in March's MBUK.

Performance 3/10 and value 5/10. "Low cost, but the shockingly short bearing life means these are definitely a false economy".

I've been waiting ages for their rigid carbon forks to come back into stock. They've had loads of good reviews.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe