GT Avalanche 1.0 2009 & Suntour MAG 32

n707301
n707301 Posts: 21
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
LBS is supplying the GT Avalanche 1.0 with Suntour MAG 32 forks, but I cannot seem to find any reviews of the forks.
http://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr/eng/default.aspx?fuseaction=product.displaySubcategory&&id=17#5717

How would this compare to something like the Carrera Fury?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273227_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

The Rock Shox Tora 318 U-turn get a very good write up.

Cervelo Soloist - Dura-Ace'd top to tail.
Carerra Fury 08

Comments

• Carrera anyday.

GT has Suntour forks, much prefer the tora's...search on here and you'll find that people love them.
    GT has no-name rims.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both very good bikes. The Mag 32 is a good fork in its own right, light, smooth and stiff.

GT has WTB rims.

Test them out, see what feels best. On the spec front you will not go wrong.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The Suntours on the Avalanche 1.0 are pretty good, mine are totally smooth as butter even 2 years on, they've done the rounds on 4 hack bikes in total, due to general opinion on Suntour I'd never flog them for a decent price so I'll keep em! They've probably done more miles than my Fox Floats and Rock Shox Rebas put together :)

The most common complaint seems to be the spring being too soft, I'm 14 stone and mine have been alright though, very active travel, the rebound damping is fixed but seems to be set sensibly. The Tora's on the Fury are quite a bit more adjustable though, both in travel and rebound damping, definitely better forks, there's nothing wrong with the Suntours though. If anything I'd have more faith in those aluminium stanchions lasting longer than the cheap steel ones on the Toras.

Same goes for the Aurigas on the GT, pain in the arse to service but you can buy some tubing on ebay and do it youself. Fantastic brakes, very similar in design and feel to a set of Juicy 3s. I've bled mine once in 2 years, once again, I stick them on hack bikes and get a lot of use out of them, they've been really reliable. The pads are easy to replace as well, quite a few places stock the right type.
    GT has no-name rims.

Random comment, the SX-24 things are found on a few bikes as OEM, much like the Sun XC rims on the Fury.

The rest of the spec is very similar, Deore with SLX rear mech compared to X5 with an X7 rear mech on the Fury. If you get chance I'd ride both and see if any fit you better, both are steals to be honest.
  • supersonic
    Interesting on the tora stanchions, tapered heat treated cromo steel are much tougher than alu! But are heavier lol.

Both are good forks, one lighter and not as well made (SR), other tougher and more adjustable (RS)
  • toasty
    supersonic wrote:
    Interesting on the tora stanchions, tapered heat treated cromo steel are much tougher than alu! But are heavier lol.

Both are good forks, one lighter and not as well made (SR), other tougher and more adjustable (RS)

Tougher, more likely to corrode though if you get water sat in under the seals surely? :P

The Suntour isn't amazingly light either really, it's very smooth and reliable though, the lockout is fairly crap but aside from that they're just fit and forget.
  • supersonic
    Not on any if the 4 I have had, or in fact any I have known anybody have! Steel is 3 times as stiff, much harder, and won't corrode if looked after. Nor any plating to lift off ;-)

Good, but weighty! I love 'em!
  • toasty
    Anyway, as I said, that was purely "I'd have more faith in", the Toras I had on my FSR XC a couple of years back were dire, got a dodgy batch there I think. Very jerky, sticky travel, no idea what went wrong there. Saying that, the missus bike sat about 10 foot from me has some Darts on, they're beautifully smooth. I'm sure I'll forgive Toras one day :P

Similar with either I guess really on the wear front, once the finish wears off on aluminium forks stanchions they'll get sticky.
  • supersonic
    I think there was a dodgy batch of toras, and I know some can be a bit stiff. They seem to loosen up though!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    The stanchions will last untill you hit a tree or a wall.
    No aluminium or steel will prevent them from bending.

And I don't see any reason to fail under normal use. :)
    That's my humble opinion.
  • toasty
    The coating on stanchions wears down, the goldy colour on aluminium forks for example, it'll wear down to raw metal purely by rubbing against the seals for years. This is generally just down to the amount of use it's had and how clean the seals are kept.